Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Builder Info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hinton1937, Jul 9, 2008.

1. hinton1937

hinton1937

My husband and I own a small restoration/customizing/building shop. We have a customer who has a 40 Ford Deluxe Sedan. He wants to go with the later model (I think 49-53)flathead motor. He really wants to put a blower on it but is also looking a maybe doing the 3 deuce setup instead. My husband has been doing this for several years, and has built several motors, but no flatheads. He is a dyed in the wool BBC and SBC fanatic. So we need some references to some reputable flathead builders, preferably in the Southeast. We live about 60 miles South of Memphis, so anything in the MS, TN, AL, AR and maybe even LA depending on where it is. Even if you know someone not in this area and you think it would be worth our while to call them, let us know. We have already spoken to Flathead Jack'a and H&H, but are looking for more options.

Thanks in advance

Angie

2. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I would talk to roadrunner engineering (I think), they have a blower kit that seems really nice. Joe Albin (spelling?) is a great guy. See what he recommends

3. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Look up any post done by Flatdog (RIP ) and learn from him. The search feature will find his posts

4. TraderJack

TraderJack

The ford flathead is the easiest thing in the world to work on! We rebuilt those things in our back yards, or garages , and would never think of taking them to an engine shop.
    Just to show you how easy it was, we would take a v8 out of the car, completely rebuild it, crank, rods, pistons, valve and valve springs. carb and fuel pump, reinstall it and charge the customer $125. that was the stock price

If you are an engine mechanic already all you would need is the valve guide remover and you will be in business.

TraderJack

5. TraderJack

TraderJack

Of course, if you are going really strong on the power, you will need more than that!

TraderJack

6. hinton1937

hinton1937

Thanks for the responses so far. I knew you guys could help!! We are really looking for someone who would build us a turn-key set-up. But keep the suggestions coming, if we can't find anybody we will end up doing it ourselves.

Thanks

7. skip86

skip86
    from Florida

After going down the flathead route,the best advice is to try and find a rebuildable block,i went through 5 blocks before i found one that could be rebuilt ,finding these old engines ain,t easy,everyone that has one thinks its gold,they all have to be taken apart,cleaned,checked for cracks,etc.its a lot of work and very frustrating,if your customer is paying you to do all this thats great,but be prepared for a lot of frustration,i could build 3 nice smallblocks for the cost of building my 8ba,the block is the key,everything else is available new.good luck.Gerry

8. Lostlakesteve

Lostlakesteve
    from mn

the best flathead guy on the planet is Rick schnell located in Anoka Minnesota

9. SakowskiMotors

SakowskiMotors

10. hinton1937

hinton1937

bumping to top for one more day

Thanks!!

11. Zaemo

Zaemo
    BANNED
    from Atlanta