Register now to get rid of these ads!

Victoria Milling Machines?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Duke, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Duke

Duke

Does anyone know anything about these machines? I just picked one up and know nothing about it. I found a little bit of information on the web. Does it use standard tooling? What would you recommend as a good book or DVD to start using this machine (I have never used one).
    Thanks

2. Vertical or Horizontal spindle ?

Pics might help.

3. Duke

Duke

Vertical, I don't have it home yet so I don't have a picture.

4. straycad

straycad

Most mills use What they call Collets to hold the tooling. It is a tapered "tube" that has threads on the top, and a certain size whole in the bottom that the tool goes into. on mine, the collet and tool fit up into the mill, and a large bolt pulls the collet into the taper... squeezing down on the particular tool to be used. ( for example, a drill chuck, a end mill bit, ETC...) The taper is what is important. My taper is an "R8". R8 is a common size or standard for milling machines. I am new to this about 5 years ago myself. If anyone wants to add to this or correct me, feel free. I am by no means a Machinist. But, I do know that the tooling is the most expensive part. I bought some cheapy stuff that works pretty well at Harbor Freight. Hope i helped somewhat...

5. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you are gonna be buying Dumprat a lot of beers to give you some lessons!
    Have a look at this site.....http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/library.html
    Post some pics when you get a chance!

6. Glen

Glen

good advice on the R8 stuff.

What size is it? 9x40? how many horses?

7. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

8. stirlingmac

stirlingmac

I served my time, 25 years ago on a Victoria Universal mill. They are a great machine. I liked it so much when the company closed down, I bought it and all it's tooling. I sold it about 4 years ago when I was in a cash flow crisis and still regret it.

9. Duke

Duke

I have some more info on the machine. The table is 12"X60" and the number on the machine is MS B-13. It looks like a 6 HP motor....that is going to be an expensive phase converter. Thanks for the link Jethro.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

That is a biggy 12X60 . But you should be able to use a "Static" type phase converter as a mill has a very small starting load unlike a big lathe without a clutch. You should be able to get a static converter for that size motor for less than $300 US.
    Once you figure out what collet the spindle is start looking for tooling. A 3 inch inport boring head and a 9-10 inch rotary table are good starts. Ebay is a good place for picking up mills etc. A hand tightening drill chuck is also nice ,either with the correct shank to fit the mill or a streght one to fit a collett. Another neat tool to have is a "Coaxial indicator" to allow you to get the quill centered over a hole so you can bore to size ebay again $50-60 .
    Have fun!!
    ebay sellers 800watt & discountmachine are several I've used and have liked the tools.

11. Duke

Duke

Thanks for the Tips John. I think it is a Delta motor so I am going to have to make or use a rotary converter.

12. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got lots of info on making a rotary converter. I made mine and it only cost about $75.00 when the smoke cleared.....(no not electrical fire smoke)....I'll track it down and send it to you if you want.

13. i'm not familiar with a Victoria mill....any pictures yet?