Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another 55 Straight Axle Chevy Gasser build.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Baron, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hopefully the view most will see....;)
    [​IMG]

2. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

From the sounds of this, this car will see some track time?
    Looks really well built, cant wait to see it finished.

3. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably a 1/2 dozen times a year...Nostaglia drags,few test and tune days, etc. Hope it goes half as good as yours does. This afternoon I was showing some Youtube vids of your car to a couple of the younger "gear heads" that stop by the shop.....very impressive and great inspiration to keep working on mine. :)

4. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

5. 1320Paul

1320Paul

Awesome ride....keep those pics coming

6. vince-305

vince-305
    from london uk

awsome keep the gassers alive heres a pici of mine

Not quite a 55 but does have a straight axle :eek:

what do you think :confused:

Attached Files:

7. mykwillis

mykwillis

8. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Almost looks like a 55 Chevy...only smaller. Good job.

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

damn! how did i miss this thread! looks just plain...GREAT! man, i need a gasser! and a merc....40 ford...56 f100.....55 nomad........................................................................:)

10. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Started the preliminary fiiting of the S&W Race Car roll cage. Still have to pull the body off the chassis one more time to paint the underside. Once that is done, I'll bolt the body on and start welding the 14pt cage in. Time consuming, tedious work fitting all the joints, but all stuff that has to be done. Still having fun. :)
    [​IMG]

11. manyolcars

manyolcars

Would it be possible to drill through the floor and bolt the roll cage to the frame?

12. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is possible to do it that way. I have taken a hole saw and drilled 5 inch holes where I will weld it to the frame.
    Now that the body has been blasted and will be painted (shortly),once I bolt it down with new body mounts,etc, there really should not be any reason to remove it. If for some reason it ever does need to come off, the cage could be cut right at the frame. It has lasted 50+ years without coming off the chassis. Hopefully it will go another 50+. ;)

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

way cool--sure has the look !!!

14. Dice

Dice
    from Marion, TX

Any updates? I'd like to see more pics of the rollcage attachment too.

15. oldsman71

oldsman71

neat build, bold move to use the hemi,cool!!!

16. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey guys. It's out having some fender-well headers fabricated by a good friend of mine. Soon as I get it back, I will pull the body off and paint the floors,firewall etc(I was hoping to do it before it left for the headers, but just ran out of time). Then I'll start the cage install.

17. ernieagogo

ernieagogo

Thanks for all the informative info. great lookin 55! I'm a member at another site and a great old school guru, "Conman", has been adamant about the degree of which the front shocks should be angled a few degrees towards the schackle mount on the front leaf springs. otherwise the shocks will not do their job properly. I could'nt help but notice yours are straight up, no angle. any comment? P.S. I'm not trying to question your wonderfull workmanship or slander my buddie Conman. I am building my 55 this winter, and asking everyones advice as I prepare for the Big-Cut!! Thanks, Ernieagogo.......

18. you in grants pass ??????????

19. senior fried

senior fried

I like that attitude....:D

20. gnarlytyler

gnarlytyler

you had me at the cragars up front :)
    Looks great.
    Anthony

21. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Awesome build! Nice work and thanks for posting.

22. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A good friend of mine has a 56 Chevy Gasser. Car hooks well, recently broke into the nine's, goes straight as an arrow, and his shocks are set up just as mine are. He drove his car on the street for about 5 years before it became a race car only, and had no problems. That was good enough for me. Ordered the same shocks.
    My car is still out at my friend's shop for the headers. Had a few delays with some other projects, so ,where there wasn't any urgency with mine,took a back seat until he got caught up. Saw him Sunday and he has started the left side(Maybe this weekend I'll get up and get a couple pics of header pictures).
    I have two other projects of my own, so this has been good for me to get some other stuff done . Looking forward to getting it back and getting back to work on it. Looking forward to a "hell ride" this September-October.
    Thanks guys.

23. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Gassers rule the wasteland. Go the Hemi.

24. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is Steve's 56. 468 BB Chevy. Injected, running alcohol. Love the frt end of the 56. Makes the front of the car look a foot higher...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  25. Maxwedge66

Maxwedge66

Dont look Ethel! Thats the business for true.

26. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The headers are finished. Very happy with the final results. My friend Bryan did a great job. I'll get the car back to the shop Saturday,remove the headers and send them out to be coated. Time for me to get back to work ! :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. A 31 MO FO

A 31 MO FO
    from D/FW

Dam that looks great. Hope to have mine running soon also, but it will have a 468.

28. uwonamos

uwonamos
    from Omaha, Ne

Baron, I was pissed & excited when I first saw your car this winter. Pissed I wasn't the only guy putting a 392 in a '55 & excited that there was some reference out there. Hell, I've never done this before. Anyway, those headers are "KILLER". I'm lovin the whole project. We've got to talk sometime. I'll be watchin & you know the ?'s are coming. Dan

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  29. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Picking away at the 55 again. Cut and clearanced the firewall to clear the Hemi/be able to remove the valve covers and mag easily. Hope to pull the body off and paint the underside in the next couple weeks.
    The blue plexiglass windows are all cut and ready to install. Replaced all the vent window rubbers and made a couple of channels to hold the back windows stationary(no back seat, so no needhaving them be able to go up and down). Spring will be here right around the corner......:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

30. CalGasser

CalGasser

Cool build Baron! Can you PM me some closeup pix of your rear floater?

Thanks,
    Vic