Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I am going to keep the cage, but 4 sawzall blades and a couple wiz wheels and the back bars are gone. No going back now.

2. haroldd1963

haroldd1963
    from Peru, IL

This may be off topic, but I know those of you who are mid-western open wheel fans, would be sad to know that Bill Waite Jr. was tragically killed in an accident involving his tow truck, a broke down semi he was assisiting, and a truck that ran into his truck, on I-80 a few miles east of LaSalle, IL this past Monday, June 25th.

Bill ran a winged sprint car at many of the mid-west dirt tracks for the past couple of decades, and had retired from racing a couple of years ago.

Below is a link to an article on luvracin.com about Bill Jr. from a few years ago.

http://www.luvracin.com/IL/il23jacksonville/drivers/il23Swaitejr3JR.htm

Bill had been operating the service station and towing business his family has owned for almost 50 years.

Please keep Bill, his Fiance' Lynn, and all of his family and friends in your thoughts and prayers.

3. hot rod surplus

hot rod surplus

had a real good time at the latimer valley fair running a freinds sprinter pics to come . other than this site what other web sites and forums are there for the old sprinters and midgets ?????????? also looking for info on a 1937 sprinter callled genes riley ran in the thirties the drivers last name is little also ran at the grove in the 40 s . were is the best place to get info from . tim

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The nostalgia board at http://www.trackforum.com/

5. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

6. I hope you stated that with "tongue in cheek" !! :D

7. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

+2
    Another kinda O/T .. Went to I-96 speedway Lake Odesa michigan saturday for the Sprints On Dirt show.. Of course it rained and we actually ended up with a 2 day show :D Sunday came early :D
    Anyway what a show.. 1/2 mile and freaking fast............. I didnt think these guys were that good at Butler michigan last week but they sure put on a show saturday and for 15 bucks too.. Being a hard core pavement fan im being converted back to dirt again :D:D
    Dave

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

9. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

10. Race Artist

Race Artist

This photo is just fantastic, I can't stop studying it. My friend Wayne Dewald did some research on it came up with the following.

Did some research and have concluded (about that great champ car photo)

#48 Len Sutton
    #29 A.J. Foyt
    #25 Earl Motter
    #10 Don Branson
    #86 Buzz Barton

Springfield, 1958

These cars finished 7-11 in the race with Branson taking seventh.

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Sweet! I knew that was A.J. sneeking around the top, but that was it.

Good deal..

12. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I got this from the "Indiana Open Wheel" board..

Looks like Hoffmans had a busy night..:eek: (Hats off to Dan Launderville... He's a great guy, What he did doesn't suprise me a bit)

13. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Josh im gonna have to have one of those t shirts.. :) Hey if you talk to them soon ask em if they are running iowa speedway in august? Its the sunday after the Knoxville nationals and were going to stay for the usac race..
    Dave

14. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

shadow,
    I LOVE it! What driveline are you going to use?
    You and BZNEIL and me and any others building replica / tribute cars need to start a subset fraternity of the H.A.M.B. readers to share ideas / progress / encouragement.

15. jmh

jmh

I REALLY enjoyed all these old photos. Anyone have any Western Pa photos? Greater Pittsburgh Speedway (Clinton Speedway) ,Heildelburg Speedway, Franklin Speedway,Mercer Speedway and Sharon,Ohio Speedway. Guys like Dave Lundy, Hank (Henry) Jacoby, Dick and Gus Linder and some more of Lou Blaney. I could go on all nite. Thanks..John

16. cars5752

cars5752

To JHM -- if you go to the Williams Grove Speedway site and look at their message board, there is a section 'Racing in the Past' where you will probably find photos of some of the guys your wanting to see. Also to all --- Vintage Overdose Weekend going on this week. Wed. night at Hagerstown Speedway in Hagerstown, Md. the EMMR group of vintage cars wil be running. On Friday there will be vintage cars at Winchester Speedway, in Winchester, Va. These 2 tracks are not too far away from each other. Then if a guys wants, on Saturday he can go to Old Dominion Speedway in Manassas, Va. and run on the asphalt. I'm taking my old midget to Hagerstown and Winchester. Hope to see some of you folks there.

17. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

18. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Here is my plan so far of turning that midget frame I posted earlier into something interesting. The top is what I started with and the bottom should be what I end up with. I am keeping the basic structure, top and bottom tubes, torsion tubes , motor plate uprights front uprights and steering mounts. Everything else is going. The real trick is reshaping the rear upper tube to dive into the torsion tube. The tail will cover this area anyway.

The French Town Flyer: I agree we need to encourage and help everyone who is building a vintage open wheeler. Maybe after the HAMB drags we can have a HAMB Dirt track race.

[​IMG]

19. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Racer5c and I, already had one dirt race in our hot rods and he BEAT ME with a FLATHEAD!!! So... yeah,, I'm down for a re-match!:D

(Roy, you got any of Thoms pictures from that day?)

JD

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I had to do some work at Zakira's last Saturday.. Turns out Dad
    was schedualed to do a car the same morning.. So I snapped
    some pics of him working, then walked around and shot some
    of the NEW projects they are working on.

I am amazed at the projects these guys take on and the parts
    they make from SCRATCH!!

...................................................................................

Here is pops acting like he is working:D

[​IMG]

One of Zakira's new projects is making these Miller Cylinder blocks.
    Make... as in, Re-mold, Re-machine, and Re-design of coarse to be Better!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As said before, Zakira's owns all the original wooden mold
    bucks from Harry Miller himself! When they need a part, they find
    the original buck and have a few made... Here are some brake
    shoes freshly molded and before machine.

[​IMG]

How about this NEW frame.. NICE!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Along with the original Mold bucks, Zakira's also has most
    the original Miller Blueprints. :eek: Everytime I do work there I spend
    a while Studying these..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and if that wasn't enough, how about the
    ORIGINAL PENCIL DRAWINGS!!! Signed by the designer!.

[​IMG]

This ones for you Roy, Check out who drew and signed this one!!

Leo himself!

[​IMG]

And an Offy that was hanging out in the corner..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JD

21. oldbike

oldbike

A bunch of work and even more money. It turned out very nice. It was built from a original CAE chassis that was never finished

Attached Files:

22. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

Excellent........​

23. Bob Trostle was one of the more capable sprint car builders not too many years ago. It seems that, like Lee Osborne, he might be making the switch from sprinters to hot rods. Here are pics of one of his early 70's sprint cars and of Bob cruising at the recent Good Guys event in Des Moines.

Attached Files:

24. Jaime Oaks

Jaime Oaks

A bit OT, but how many guys are driving their Hot Rods to the 'Burg tonite?

25. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Not me .. Im riding the harley to aNGOLA FOR SUPERS AND MIDGETS ON THE 3/8 PAVEMENT..oops sorry bout the caps lock.. Im ready i was stuck in my colorado pickuop all day yesterday and its great riding weather.. Hell with the roadster i had it out earlier to run to the parts store :D Its a pos anyway..:D
    Dave

Attached Files:

26. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I am going to the burg but I am not sure if I am going to take the roadster. Depends on the weather, but if a group is driving them then I will to.

27. Racer12

Racer12

Hey Corngrower, any info on the artwork you posted on page 36 of this thread? I would love to get a copy of that for my basement. The pic I am speaking of is of two pre WWII sprints #'s 12 and 69.

Thanks,

Bob Shutt

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Quit a Show at the burg lastnight.. USAC was off and Indiana speed week is this week.. and most of the heavy hitters had not got to run the "New" Burg yet, so a lot of the USAC guys were there.. I picked Stanbro to win.. He made a great attempt but his battle with Dave Darland (another of my favorites) held him to fourth place.

Racer12... I scaned that picture out of an old "SPRINT CAR PICTORIAL" I'll check it out and see if it has an Artists name. And a way to get a print..

JD..

P.S. My Birthday is this weekend the 12th and its gonna be a good one!!! Zakira's has invited me and my Fiance to help them haul TWO Millers up to the MILLER MEET, in Milwaukee!!:D

I CAN"T WAIT! I'LL HAVE PICTURES FOR ALL!!

29. the shadow

the shadow

thanks, I wanted to put a V8-60 if not a standard flathead V8 in it but at the time of the build I couldn't find one that was either complete, in my price range or that wasn't just dug out of a mud hole in a junk yard! I ended up getting a running 1931 model A banger engine & trans for it. I beleive I left ample room to swap in a V8 at a later time if I find one? I took pics of every step of the build, that way if any other hamb'rs wanted to see them I'd have them ready.
    thanks agian!
    Paul

30. I was going to wait until I got through all the pages on this thread to start posting pics, but I'm only up to page 20! Between this thread, and the Drag cars in motion thread, I'm not getting anything done. This pic is from Williams Grove Old Timers Reunion 1987. I'm in the 93 kurtis that my dad and I restored, and the 21 car is Bill Cox. Dads been gone a while, but the memories will always be alive. I'm seeing my Mom next weekend, and will get Dad's scrap books from 1938- 48.

Attached Files: