Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GulfCoastGasser, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Thought you were dedicated!!! Naw just giving ya shit.. all right my question to get back on topic here.. I think the question should be what is tradition, and what is trendy...cause the way I see it is something had to be a trend, fade whatever before it was a tradition.

2. It's not the 'What color should I paint it" guys who I love to blast. It's more the guys with the "how do I paint fake patina?'',or the famous"how do I patina my new mirror to match the old one?". Those guys are just asking to be attacked, LOL!!!!

3. Traditional-Handed down from another time or era.
    Trend-To follow a general common direction.

I would say traditional is to follow a style of a previous time. Trend would be the direction a particular style is going. Does that make sense?

4. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Now...I got a question for Weasel..what the deal with you and airbags?? Not trying be an ass, but whats the deal, honestly. Do you see it as a trend??? A fade ?

5. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Ah but heres my train of thought here...hasnt de-railed yet.. How did it become a tradition if it wasnt widely accepted as a practice or "trend" first???
    Maybe Im confusing myself??

6. I see bags as a trend cause so many different style of cars are using them. They will be around for a long time. They can be used for suspension,suspension assist,ride improvement,height adjustment,and there's always the Parking Posers, LOL!!!

7. Dude! You're fucking yourself up, LOL!!!! deep clensing breathes....

8. Bryan

Bryan

Are there trends within a certain style?

Is it trends of the time that define a certain style?

9. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Well shit maybe it did de-rail....need more beer.
    Time to throw a wrench in here...Airbags, not trendy, not traditional, not fadish. Form of function... it does the job and does it well, why not use it??? "practicallity"

10. FUCK! Now you're getting into "Back to the Future" territory! "I just got picked up by my mom" stuff, LOL!!!

Track-T=nerf bars,track tires,track nose
    Customs=body mods,lowered,shaved,nosed,decked,etc
    Trad.Hotrod=Vintage speed equipment,period correct parts
    Gassers=lifted,straight axle,big motor,etc
    Bellflower Custom=lowered,wild paint,Astros,Bellflower tips(or not)
    Lakester=Bonneville style,fenderless,vintage speed equip.,number on the side

Each has its own trends. Did I miss anything?

11. Bags are a preference. Were they available back in the day...yes. Are they traditional...no. I don't think it's taboo in and of itself,but more because of what some guys do with them,that turns guys off. The loud "hiss" when you lower your car. Posing when you park. Most trad. guys hate that. Bags on a Hotrod WILL NEVER be cool!!!!

12. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

"hiss" =attention...plan and simple.
    and you forgot lead sled..

13. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Yeah I gotta agree with badbob ont that one about bags on a hot rod, That idea just makes me cringe to think about it.

14. Bryan

Bryan

do you think some of kind of blurs and overlaps? Would say, Watsons Grapevine be a custom? Would the latter version be a Bellflower custom?

Lake pipes.....a trend? When they came out, they were immensly popular....then they fell out of fashion. Now, they seem to define a style. I think people would say lake Pipes= 50's style custom.....But I think that is too broad a description.

I dont know. This type of thinking keeps me up too late.

15. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Well gents Im out of here.. will check to see who gets stupid in the morning. Everybody have a safe fourth, dont blow the house up, light fires..dumb shit like that.
    And in closing the shit that pisses me off, people who try to duplicate the look of rust on the car.... your shitting me right, you want a rusted POS Ill sell you mine. For a good price!

16. Muttley

Muttley

Then some one sells it to dorks in trucker hats who use the words "yo" and "youknowwhatI'msayin" in every sentence.

17. Low

Low

I think threads NOT about hot rods or customs is a growing trend on the HAMB. Well, now that I think about it, I think its more of a HAMB tradition :D

18. BOHICA

BOHICA

I pretty much agree with Bad Bob word for word, but feel like throwing my 2 cents in.

As per the original question, I think a trend becomes a trend whenever people cease doing something because it's innovative and start doing it because they thought it looked cool on someone else's ride. Don't get me wrong, hot rodding is all about taking ideas from other people, but like my sig says, there's a fine line between imitation and inspiration.

Take, for instance, patina and rat rods. When I first saw them, I loved them and wanted to build a vehicle with faux patina if I couldn't get a real one. Now, I only think patina is cool if natural and I'm sick of people cutting up perfectly good cars to create rat rods. Heck, even the term rat rod is grossly overused. I just say it because I don't know what else to call them that other people will understand to what I'm referring to.

1 shot, you used the example of chopped tops as a trend. I would say that it depends on a person's motivation (which I guess at by judging how it flows on a vehicle with other mods) as to whether or not it's a trend. To me, if the person did it because they thought it would look good on the car, they're good to go, but if they did it just because they could (I have a buddy who thinks all vehicles should have their tops cut) or they think that's what all hot rodders do, then yeah, I would call that being trendy.

Not sure how clear it is and I know it's not completely accurate, but hey, that's why it's called an opinion. :)

19. Mudville

Mudville

I think what Frankenstein 1949 said is dead on! Do what you can afford and what you like! That's what make's hot rodding so individual!

20. Weasel

Weasel

You mean genuine fake rust????:eek::eek:

Rossco don't get me started on airbags - it'll derail the whole thread and ensure the Weasel remains the most hated rodent on the HAMB.

I have posted on this subject ad nauseam. But if you want fucked up suspension geometry and to ride around on four bouncy basket balls - go ahead. Okay you baggies - savage the Weasel - go git im!:p

To get back to trends and fads, airbags are a trend and are here to stay - a bit like stupidity!:D:D:D

Happy Fourth of July everybody - be safe out there and celebrate your freedom.

21. Giving opinions causes trends, in a forum like this, the more outspoken tend to overshadow the individual. Therefore the persons who wish for acceptance ask for opinions so as not to become unacceptable. That causes many to follow suit and not venture out in other directions, just look at the crap someone gets if the stray from what the majority considers traditional.
    Just an individual opinion!!

22. When the "Old guys" die off,the only source of the way it was ,is gonna be magazines,books and the internet. And when I say old guys,I mean the guys who were ACTUALLY there back in the day. When that day comes,we will all be at the mercy of "Past treads". The bad thing is,what will be the trends in another 10 years? Boyd Style,Foose Style,Ratrod Style? Those will be the styles that young guys will see as "back in the day".
    The traditional thing will always be there,cause it's where the roots of Hotrodding come from.
    Funny how the term "Re-creation" seems to be latest term being used for a car that follows a previous style or a copy of a famous car. Guess they are trying to get away from "Clone". That's as far as Auction lingo goes.

23. elwood blues

elwood blues

I never cared what was a trend I'm 26 been listening to rockabilly since I was very small I do sport a pomp it wasent cool when I was doing it at 15 my pop and gandpa really helped to get me into what I like as an adult that includes my love of hot rods dont get bent over it just wait and see who is there in 5 years. Hell the thing to look for is when the "old school" trend is over cars WILL get cheap fast just swoop in man!

24. 'Trend' is a word, and alike all words, has a definition.
    Trend (n): [SIZE=-1]"a general tendency or course; a direction or movement; flow." (Am. Heritage Dictionary)
    In fashion:
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"Fashion is not static, they are constantly moving, their movement has a definite direction. The direction in which fashion moves is called fashion Trend."
    In the marketplace:
    [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]"The direction in which price and trading volume are moving over a short or long term basis. The movement may either be up, down or sideways. Technical analysts study market and security trends to forecast future movements."[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]
    A dozen guys in a club running th same wheels is not a trend. When those cars get featured in a magazine, and sales for that kind of wheel triples for several years, that is a trend.
    Boyd built several cars in a row with all trim, bumpers, etc painted body color - not a trend (though not a new idea, either). A year later, when 1/3 or more of all of the major magazine feature cars were monochromatic, whether it looked good on that body style or not - trend.
    Hot Rod Magazine featured a Pro-Street J2000, and coined the term 'Pro Street'. Wasn't the first of that build style, but not a trend - just people here and there who though it looked cool were doing it. Even though HRM said in the same editorial where they coined the term that it was impractical, and would never catch on because it wasn't really a good idea, it became a trend when 100,000 people built cars to look like that just because one got featured in a magazine.
    In the 40's and 50's, 1 in 1000 rods (if that many) were flat black with red steelies. Not a trend. In 2005, when it seemed like 1 in 20 was flat black with red steelies: trend.

All of my projects take one of 2 paths - expediency, and drive it and fix the expedient stuff as funds allow to make it the way I want it, or like my '53 Riv, 15 years in and it still hasn't seen the road because I wanted to wait until I could afford to do it once, the way I want it, from scratch. Screw that, I'm getting old. It will be driven soon, 'patina' (AKA ragged-out, rusted out, and beat to shit) and all. Complete with REAL traditional airbags, date coded 1958, that sit inside the torched rear coil springs. And if Bad Bob doesn't like it, he can suck on my squishy basketballs. --insert sarcastic wink here--
    [/SIZE]

25. JamesG

JamesG

I like my pink Converse, they are trendy.

26. GulfCoastGasser

GulfCoastGasser
    from Gulf Coast

There may never be one definition for what is innovative, or a trend, but when you go to a car show and you see more than five examples of the same damn style car (hot rod, kustom, gasser, duce, whatever) and they are so close in apperance you have to go back to make sure you are not seeing double....that my friend is a trend!

There was a time when if I went to a show and didn't see at least five '64 1/2 Mustangs, '56-'58 Corvettes and '57 Bellaires - I was shocked. That was/is a trend.

But I agree - drive what makes you happy and if others don't like it - Fine!:D

Just don't be defensive of your ride while you piss on your brother's!:cool:

27. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

i like the prostreet stuff..for a guy my age (cost to 40) this is what was being built when i was a kid ..they looked like the race cars of that area.just like how the gassers/street freaks looked like the race cars of there area.

28. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Trend: A general tendancy of cource. Example: Airbags, a shit load of small block chevy's, flat black paint, unfinished cars, rust, spider webs, that seems to be the trend of this decade. Some trends are good some are bad. Each is own. I prefer the trend of the 40's and 50's. Styles, music, ect.

29. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I grew up driving in the late eighties. I still hate the f&*kin mustangs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.