Register now to get rid of these ads!

Trends

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GulfCoastGasser, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

I poke you in eye with big stick...
    Innovation is dying art period.
    All practices and ideas on our era steel has already been done in some way shape or form. How to make things different is hard, unless you go so outragous that it borders idiotcy in most eye's **If something is spelled wrong..please GFYS** Bring in new technology and fresh blood is the only thing keeping this alive, and everybody knows it. Now the question is who will maintain the ways of the old, and who will create the new. In which case were are you???

2. I don't think of the HAMB as a trend. More of a big organization,connected by an electronic box! I agree that the fact that it is getting more press and coming more noticed ,buy the "other guys",that it might be considered trendy to join in. But wouldn't it only be a trend if you don't believe or if you don't stay?

3. I like the 50's style Hotrods and Customs. That's where i'll stay,BUT I will enjoy the inovations that will come into our hobby. How long til we see an electric Duece? Propane Custom? Soon,I bet...

4. Mopar34

Mopar34

Bad Bob wrote:
    You mean like those red steelies with the trim rings and baby moon???, Does this mean we're going to see more fancy billet wheels on those black suede deuces??:eek::eek::cool:

5. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Hell!! lifes a trend..you eat shit sleep just like me??
    The only thing that seperates me from you is what I did in my life.
    Simple its a car.. who fucking cares.. if someone wants to do it their way or somebody elses..let them.

6. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I agree, I will keep with the 50's style stuff but the new stuff I will enjoy and take or discard, personally I aint gonna be to hot on a electric or propane deuce, but change is change and we cant stop it.

the stuff you're going to see go out is the Chip Foose and Boyd Coddington style stuff, where they take the modern components and shit and put the old body shell over it and they have chopped the top and laid the grill back and stuff and done the sixty's/fiftys style stuff to it thats whats gonna go out.

7. How can I put this....
    Steelies wouldn't be considered a trend cause they are from a previous era. Billet wheels would be considered a trend,cause they are from today,and put on older cars. Steelies,no matter what color,are old wheels on old cars.
    The car that won the AMBR trophy is an example of a guy following a trend,of putting dumbass HUGE billet wheels on an old(appearing) car. Foosifying a car,Muscle cars with 20's,is a trend.

8. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Lmao Good point!!

9. This thread isn't about "build it your fuckin way". It's about the difference between a trend and a style. Opinions on what's a trend...

10. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Good point, steelies aint a trend, 20 inch wheels and tiny little tires is the trend thats something that some nimrod came up with in this era, you wont see any cars in pics from t he fifties with 20 inch billet wheels to make there car look like a hotwheels.

11. I know many guys who go with the drivetrain that they have available,usually because of economics. I wish the driveline in my Merc was the original,but it's what came with the car. It probably last longer,maybe,but I wish it was the flatty and 3speed.
    I agree that the Boyd stuff will die off,only because it's so expensive to build a car like that.

12. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

My point Bob not to sound like an ass is this is a endless argument, why cause someone somewhere will say trendy, while others will say oh pretty shiney, wanna do dat..you see what Im saying??

Yes eras had their "Ear marks" sorry rancher talk. Every era went throu phases...Something you do today that's !!wow the greastest thing since sliced bread!!, might end up being a trend in someone elses eyes the next morning after.

13. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Well I see what yer sayin' and going back to the Hot Rod way of thinking I have to renig on my statement before, it's what you can afford and have on hand.

It will go out cus it's to expensive, uunless you have ALLOT of money you can't build a car like that.

14. You know the "DONK" fuckin thing is a trend! I really don't see it hanging around long...

[​IMG]

15. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I can agree with this to some degree.
    There will be the nay sayers and shit but you must press on anyway and do what you want to do anyway.

1shot

16. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

Oh hell yeah now that is definately a trend, that shit aint a style thats a trend, and it's gonna go down in flames lol
    I seen a guy down at louisville do that to a 63 chevy......a sad sad sight. A before anyone says "Ohhh but what about the point of hotrodding is build what you like"....this shit aint hotrodding.

17. The only reason I responded that way is because when a guy gets on here and asks for an opinion on what he's building,there's always those guys who say"it's yours,build it the way you want",instead of giving him an honest opinion or making a suggestion. That always pisses me off.

18. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

Nope its not hotrodding, I get good laugh every time I see one thou:D
    Damn wheels cost more than the cars!

19. Weasel

Weasel

Hey BadBob, I know I rag on you once in a while when you rant, but man today you are outdoing yourself - positively eloquent and IMO hitting the nail pretty much on the head. And "Foosified" lmao - Chip'll love you for that one!:D:D:D

Maybe we should not call them trends - a trend to me is somewhat longer term and a direction - not a short lived lapse of taste or instant copycat gratification from guys trying waaaay to hard to be kooool. To me these instant gratification "I wanna be a rugged individualist just like all the other guys" copycats are FADS. Kustoms, Bellflowers, Westergaards, lakes style cars, gassers to name but a few, are trends. Bling bling billet, big hoops, rim protectors, overbright candies etc. are all FADS - thing of the moment, gone in the blink of an eye - I wish.

Timeless is the way I prefer them - it may never be at the height of fashion, but will look as good in 20 years as it does today. That does not mean that they cannot follow a trend - just that they are not 'Flavor of the Day' or 'Special of the month'.

20. Like me! I'm a large minority, LOL!!!!

21. So...i'm usually full of shit? LOL!!!!
    I think this one of the best discussions in a while. Trend/fad,a fine line!
    I know I go off on a tangent when someone puts shit on here that doesn't belong,but I'M the one who always blasted for saying something...

22. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

lol I know right, he could have went to the scrap yard and dug up a perfectly good pair of steelies or something to put on it for way damn cheaper than those oversized things he has on there.

23. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

I think I would have to agree Bob, this is one of the better discussions that i've seen here ina while now. :cool:

24. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

And my rebuttle.. is guys who post build pics, and progress of there efforts and people hackem apart.. Its a two way street. Way I look at is if I have any input, ill state it, If I dont ill keep my yap shut. The minute somebody starts razing on someone else for the their efforts... well you get the point.

And there is a difference between advice and a opinion. The way I look at is if someone is asking me for my opinion first thought I get ** well fuck this guys lazy and cant figure it out himself** if someone ask for advice ** hey must be stumped lets see what we can do** but thats me, and yes been known as a asshole for years so no hair off my ass.

Little after fact notion that hurt my head...is when most people post about a opinion on here the have already made up their mind, they are just curious to see if it would socially accepted...damn that kinda scared, me...need more beer...

And yes agree this a good discusion. I will remain civil and hopefully so will everyone else..oh and Im full of shit..please inform me. just making sure my wife isnt the only that thinks so.

25. The build threads are what keeps me alive on here! Especially the Merc ones...There are so many talented guys on here. It's great being a part of the HAMB and be able to follow the guys progress.

26. Rossco

Rossco
    from SinCal

You got a Merc or related something tattooed on you somewhere dont you....

27. Weasel

Weasel

I see your point, but then you get the guys who are just trolling the 'Court of Public Opinion' maybe in the hope of hearing what they need to do to be a people pleaser, rather than have the enterprise to do what they actually like. Like another way of asking 'what's the current kool fad'. A bit like the AMBR - read the rules then build accordingly. That really sucks in my book.

28. 1 shot

1 shot
    BANNED

He has a merc, Is it the one in the contact card on your public profile bob? with the dame in front of it?

29. No. My ring finger has permanent flamed wedding band. No Mercs though.

30. Yep,that's mine...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.