Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm beginning to understand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boyd Who, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

why some people trailer their cars to events. I've always been a firm believer that cars are meant to be driven, NOT trailered. However, I'm beginning to re-think my attitude.

I've driven our '27 Essex to a few events so far this year, most of which were at least 60 miles away from home. This past Tuesday we did an event in Winnipeg, about 250 miles round trip. The way our car was built by the previous owner leaves alot to be desired, and it is incredibly cramped inside the cab. So much so that I can handle about half an hour of driving before I'm in alot of pain. A 2-hour drive is a serious endurance test. The big problem is where we live...not much in the way of local car events. Everything is at least an hour away. :(

While I have plans to blow the car apart and start over from scratch, it will be another year or two before I can do that. In the meantime it looks like I will have to swallow my pride and get a trailer to haul it on for anything more than an hour or so away from home. Either that or we simply stay home, and that's no fun. One thing for sure, this has really changed my outlook on trailered cars. Instead of chastising someone for not driving I will think twice about their reasons for trailering.

I do look forward to being able to redo the car into something more driveable.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

What you're going through is very similar to what new motorcycle riders often go through.

My advice, think hard and make one or two key upgrades. Seat height, depth, pedal position, something. Don't be afraid to stop once an hour to smell the roses and stretch out. And don't be afraid to push your own limits, over time you will develop an iron ass. good luck

3. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Aww man, too bad Boyds closed down! You could have it gold chained out there.....
    Hey! Kidding! I understand the pain in a cramped car, the reason I sold my 28 RPU. My broken body couldn't handle it. At least it will be driven once you got there. I also understand a trailer if your going to race it. Did that with my old 32, lucky as first time out I blew a heap of metal out of the diff! Custom built to handle 2000hp supposedly!
    Doc.

4. zzford

zzford

The first rod I built was a 27 track roadster. I was married with 2 small kids at the time. There was no way we all could fit in it, let alone carry luggage for four people. We towed it on a tow dolly behind the family's 67 Mustang. My family's grown now and I have a 33 Ford coupe and a luggage trailer. Momma and I do drive it the distance, but even it gets tight on a long trip. I am 6'3" and weigh in at about 300 lbs. I have arthritis in both knees and hips. There may be a time in the not too distance that I will be trailering my car, too. I love driving it, I prefer to drive it, but age and the infermities that go with it, bring a whole new reality. I don't understand why some people are so bothered that some people choose to trailer. What skin off their noses is it?

5. and fart....

6. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

That's something that I keep wondering about my truck build. I get pretty bad backaches from sittting straight up and usually lean back in a car. With the cab the way it is on an International I was wondering how I'm gonna get a seat to lean back a bit. I'm hoping by not chopping the top I can tilt the seat up in the front to get the back to lean back.

I want to drive it everywhere so it's got to be comfy. What exactly is it about yours that make it uncomfortable (asking the question so I can hopefully avoid the problem).

7. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Definetly get that thing built so you can fit comfortably in it, as soon as possible. It breaks my heart to see cars on trailers! But, I can understand your problems. I used to drive a truck that had rusted out cab mounts, so the cab was resting on the frame, and the springs in the seat were all busted. It was uncomfortable to say the least. But, I had to drive it for a 3 hour drive every week. When I made my first journey, I had to stop about every half hour and rest my rear. After about the fourth or fifth journey, I didn't need to stop at all.

8. plan9

plan9

lose some weight!

9. beauishere

beauishere

Well, there's the truth of the matter. While a lot of HAMBers fantasize about 'living like back in the day', the fact is that most of us are a bit removed from our high school days and this is a hobby.

There are many reasons modern cars don't look like our favorite classics. Of course performance advancements, but comfort is just as important. Just yesterday my Dad & I were talking about when his parents, in 1936, moved their four kids from Kansas to California in a '26 sedan. He said they looked like Henry Fonda in the Grapes of Wrath.

Now, driving an hour to a car show on our modern roads isn't really comparable, but the issue is the same. If you can do it more comfortably, do it. If that means a trailer and you feeling better all day. I wouldn't think twice.

Good luck.

10. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

The biggest issue the car has is the firewall. When they installed the slant-6 they recessed the firewall almost 10". The seats aren't really the issue, it's the lack of leg room. The seats are as far back as they can go, and I can't raise them as I'm already just clearing the headliner. Lowering them would make the problem worse.

I plan to replace the 6 with a V8 of some form so I can gain some legroom. Once I have the firewall sorted out I can mess with the seats a bit.

I have a bad right hip as well as sciatic nerve problems in my right leg, that's why I'm in so much pain. I never figured I'd be this worn out at 45. :(

As for losing weight...I'm 5'9 and 160 lbs. How much weight should I lose?? I barely cast a shadow as it is! :eek:

11. Get a comfortable seat in it, that's the key. Just as an example, in the mid-1990s we went to Indy a couple times and rented cars to do it. The first trip was a Grand Am and it was perfectly comfortable. The second trip was an Olds Alero, and I've sat on wooden benches with no back that were more comfortable and supportive, my back hurt so much after 3 or 4 hours driving that piece of crap I was wading up a jacket to put between my lower back and the seat. Now those are basically the same car with different badges on them - but the seat was just different enough to bother me.

When it comes to being traditional, worry about a tuck & roll cover of some sort later, there's not much point in having a car if it's not comfortable to drive, if you have to run old factory velour uhpolstery for a while, so what?

But that's one reason why you probably won't see me try to build any of the Model A pickups I have pieces for. They're real tight inside with the stock seat, and I don't see me being able to stuff a good comfortable seat into it without it taking up a bunch of what little room they have.

12. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

And you guys wonder why a lot of us old farts are into Kustoms -- longer wheelbase = better ride (with radials) = more interior leg room = more comfortable seat (plus usally a back seat to put a cooler on) + a way to move the seat forward or backward to gain more comfort + a huge dash to hide an A/C behind...+ place for a stereo and cruise control.

AND, we can cover a lot of miles over those 60 you were talking about...a jaunt of 500 or 700 hundred on a weekend is not out of the question for my bro and I (13 hours one way to Joplin, MO to the HAMB drags is EZ).

R-

13. DrJ

DrJ

Some people compromise... Drive it to an event a trailer back home... ;)

14. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

Very true. The chopped '48 Chevy pickup we had was one of the most comfortable vehicles I'd ever driven. 800 mile 12-hour days were nothing in that truck.
    That said, even my old t-bucket was more comfortable than this Essex. I have long legs and need as much space as possible, which I should be able to get once we re-do the firewall.

15. jerry

jerry

How thick is the seat back? I gained about 3 inches in my 50 chev pu by using a seat out of a 90's chev. Went from abou 5 inches of padding down to 2 or so. Makes a hugedifference.

Just trying to help keep you off a trailer.

jerry

16. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Use it on a trailer as "Bait". You stop for gas at one of those little out of the way gas stations, of course someone will ask you about it. Ya tell them, you're just hauling it for a friend, but you sure would like to find one like it for your self. You'd be suprised what comes out of the wood work.

I used to do that looking for Cushman Motor Scooters, I'd have one in the back, a POS, I was taking it home, but sure would like to find some parts so I could fix it up.:D "Why sure, I know someone who has one of those, and he'd probably sell it too".

HellRaiser

17. phat rat

phat rat

A real good example of why some of us build cars that are comfortable to drive. I've done 600-800 mi days in my 41 many times and twice I did over 1100 mi in a day. In 06 I did Sacramento to Tampa in 3 1/2 days.

18. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

As soon as you put it on the trailer, it's a show car. You might as well build it well and give it a good paint job. Stop pretending it's a driver.

I like nothing more than to blast by a row of big RVs pulling trailers in a line on the interstate - all either coming / leaving a big car show - at about 90. Screw the bugs and stone chips. Wimps. Last summer I went from Tampa to Stevens Point, Wisconsin, the long way, up thru Nashville and Indy and back home thru Cleveland, Columbus and Knoxville. Sorry to say, I had it on cruise a lot. Take away my merit badge if you want. But I'm still not enough of an iron butt yet to do the New England to California to Tampa NSRA trip. Some day... Gary

BTW, Dodge Caravan front buckets are PERFECT for fat fendered cars... fit my 37 like a glove. When I built mine, the first things I got were wheels / tires and take-out seats. How else can you get the seats, pedals, steering, and shifter all in the right places?

19. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

so this makes you...what?

20. The Dodge Guy

The Dodge Guy

Hang in ther dude and drive your car!

21. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Happy I built a functional car and not a... what? Gary

22. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i ruled out an inline 6 because i like how much leg room my essex has.

23. Old School 40

Old School 40

mine looks old,but has all the comforts,Air,pwr str,pwr brks,pwr windows and im comfterble when i get there.No trailer.Screw the rat rod boys!

24. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I'm putting the seats from a 2005 Caddy in my Merc.
    When I take it on a ride I wann ENJOY the ride, not wince after every bump in the road.
    Trad? Well No.
    Getting the car ON THE ROAD is more important to me.

25. Hyfire

Hyfire

What is worse? Building an authentic 1940's traditional hotrod and pulling it to shows on a trailer or building a 1940's hotrod with 1980's seats, AC 350/350TH and driving it to every show?

Who cares how your car gets to a show, either way just enjoy it.

Hyfire

26. Joe King

Joe King

Ya I drove to billet proof satuday then trailered it home sunday but it's sometimes hard to find a friend that will come a get ya 200 miles away from home

27. at 6'6" tall i have driven many cars and trucks that were "crazy uncomfortable" but that was in my youth. its cool that the old ways live on i personally enjoy looking at them but driving most of them is is a different story. i would really have a hard time trailering my ride mostly because i enjoy the driving and using a fucking trailer is a hassle.

28. wvenfield

wvenfield

I'd sort of hate to see that truck get messed with much.

29. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

I feel the same way, but it's going to have to happen if I want to be able to drive it comfortably.

As for gnichols...I didn't build the truck, one of my friends did...back in 1979. Kinda hard to set everything up for MY driving comfort when it wasn't built with me in mind. We put over 25K highway miles on my T-bucket, and almost 50K miles on my chopped '48 Chevy pickup. I don't own "show cars", I own drivers. However, until I can get the Essex torn down so I can redesign everything I have to make a choice. Haul it on a trailer to events that are over an hour away, or stay home.