Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 chevy scallops

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Scrawny, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Scrawny

Scrawny
    from Wizkaahsin

i need some ideas for my shoebox, so lets see them....:cool:

2. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

What's Ford shoeboxes got to do with '57 Chevys...???

R-

3. Black Magic

Black Magic

I have hear of some people calling a 55 chevy 210 a shoeboxe but not a 57? But the name belongs to the 50's ford.

4. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Mine a few years back in TX

Attached Files:

5. Scrawny

Scrawny
    from Wizkaahsin

thanks OCP that thing looks mighty rad!

sorry for the literary mix up, im still learning how to be a true student of these very subjects...

6. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

The best advice, and I'm not trying to be a dick, is to not try so hard! :D

I havent seen many 57s with scallops... I think that beautiful side trim is all you need. If it is a 210... well then I could see it.

7. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

While I agree that the Ford is really the shoebox, they Chevy guys do seem to call the tri-fives shoeboxes as well.

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Yeah...and I've heard of guys calling '62 and up Chevy II's 'Deuces'...but that don't make it right...nor acceptable...nor traditional...

I've owned 30 '57 Chevys at one time...and only one of them had scallops...a clean, basically stock looking '57 Chevy does not need scallops...

R-

9. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I've heard them called shoeboxes or shoebox novas.

10. Nappy

Nappy
    from York, PA

Watson painted a red '57 with gold, swirly scallops back in the day. Having trouble locating a photo, but it was one of the few scallop jobs that I actually like. The car had little else done to it.

11. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I like this one with scallops. I like it a lot. And that's saying a lot since I'm Ford blue through and through.

12. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Good for you. WTF cares???

Why does every thread nowadays have to become a literal nitpick??? :rolleyes:

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

No shit........

14. I may be wrong, but the '57 210 had side trim much like the Bel Air, just a painted quarter panel insert instead of the stainless, or whatever the Bel Air had.

I think if I were to scallop one, I would keep it simple, keep it below the side trim, and behind the front wheel opening...

BRT

15. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I think you should really google up some Larry Watson paint jobs. He did a 57 Buick that was used as a demo in the dealerships promoting the 57 Model. Black, radically flamed...looked neat. Seaweed style flames. Not scallops, but all in all he did some real wild stuff with a lot of basically stock cars of that genre.

16. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Solo Lobo's old car. Very tasty way to do a 57. Gary

Attached Files:

17. Buzznut

Buzznut

Hey, even Novas are called shoeboxes...it's all over the internet. Shoebox is not a term meant solely for Fords, and yes, I have heard of Tri5's referred to as Shoebox Chevys. Who makes these naming rules and decides what is acceptable and what is not anyway? Basically, let a man speak before you're so quick to correct him...he may actually have something to say. I say this with regards to ALL situations, not just this one. Lighten up a little bit already...k? :p

18. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I don't have any pics to add, but I say go for the scallops. I've seen a few that looked reall cool and just the idea of a '57 Chevy as a custom rules in itself. Good luck!

19. OldCarPilot

OldCarPilot
    from Bel Air MD

Here is a shot of the hood. I don't seem to have one of the trunk though.

Attached Files:

20. Anderson

Anderson

Here ya go.

Attached Files:

21. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

I care...

IF this is to be a traditonal site...then stick to traditional word usages...if we don't the next thing ya know all the "newbies"will be calling anything square bodied a "Deuce," and any 50's car a 'shoebox...'

I really could give a big fuck what's all over the internet...if you've got a problem with traditional, then go find somewhere else to spew your crap.

And before you say it...you're right, I don't make the rules here...I just follow them...

R-

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

Hey know-it-all...Novas were being called shoeboxes 30 years ago - LONG before the internet OR the HAMB...and Shoebox Chevy is a term I first heard at least 30 or more years ago and was used when the cars were brand spanking new...get over yourself already. Hey I know, let's scare every newbie away for not giving the proper club handhsake...

23. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Oh see...there ya go assuming...and that's where you're wrong...I don't know it all...

Wow...seriously...??? And that makes it OK to use on this site...???

Oh, I see...according to you, then everyone can use it...and that makes it OK to use here...???

Could you help me with that...??? I like nitpicking...

Hey you really want to do that...??? Sounds like fun...let's you and me team up...I think we've got a good start...oh and look at that, HOW MANY posts do you have...hmmmmmmmm...looks like Buzznut is a newbie too...

R-

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL...you didn't really say much there. If it's a term that's been used for 30 years then I'd say yes, everyone can use it anywhere they like.

Newbie to the HAMB, not a newbie to cars or dealing with nitpickers for that matter...who by the way are really annoying at times. That's OK, it's your perrogative, and mine is to point out the actual reality of things whenever I can. We can agree to disagree...I'm OK with that. And BTW, there may be a 12 step program for that if you really want help. :D

25. GREASEMONKEY72

GREASEMONKEY72

well to back on the TOPIC of scallops on a 57 chevy i say go for it, i think scallops look good, if you have the trim i think id keep them below the trim only but no trim maybe go up a bit higher

26. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

[​IMG]

27. LMAO...

I think the question of scallops or no scallops has been answered. Those who actually contributed their opinions seem to agree...

Some additional pictures might be helpful...

That comic is f*cking hilarious unionville.....

28. +1... Hell, I've heard 'em referred to as "bricks" (aerodynamically speaking) ...

29. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

Yeah, lets shit on all the 'newbies'. It seems like all the 'true hot rodders' came flying out of the womb in a 32 Ford and anything less is unacceptable. Don't forget where YOU came from old guy. It's piss poor attitudes like that which gives hot rodding a bad name.

You may proceed to tear me apart now because I only have a few posts. Apparently thats the most important part of hot rodding........

Oh... back on topic: I say go for it. Scallop the hell out of that SHOEBOX CHEVY. If you like it, do it. Screw everyone else.

30. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

the Alexander brothers were smart enough to scallop this one, Go for it!

[​IMG]