Register now to get rid of these ads!

Check out this great jack

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelkid, Jun 30, 2008.

1. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

Our Neighbor said it was broken and just gave it to us. A little cleaning of the air valves and greasing the sliders and now it works great. It even has a lock so you can work under it
    [​IMG]

Jimmy

2. VonZacho

VonZacho
    from napa, ca

3. Baylift, Used one in the 50s. A guy named Moose was under an automatic car that was running, wanted to move on the creeper, grabbed the shift linkage and was dragged out the door. Luckily the gravel drive stopped the lift, the car stayed right where it was supposed to. Just scared the heck out of him!!

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

cool jack..lock or no lock..I would still use jack stands..

5. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Name it "Iron Man"

6. pan-dragger

pan-dragger

cool old piece of shop equipment

7. kustombypook

kustombypook

You got that right.

8. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Nice freebee, I like the way its positioned clear out of the work area.
    Working without stands under it would be scarey.

9. chaddilac

chaddilac

cool, now it just needs a new paint job and some stripes!

10. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

Jack stands? Where would you get 3 foot tall stands? That's why it has a lock on it to hold it up. I've seen and used these before, and they rock! They'll get the car high enough for my big ass to slide around under one without having a 2 or 4 post lift.

11. AMEN brother,very cool jackthough

12. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I guess thats a good point..But..I value my life, and do not trust only ONE lock as a safe bet i will not end up like a squashed bug under my car. besides how old is that thing?
    Anyway, I wouldnt entirely trust it alone, I would back it up with something under the frame. you can only make this mistake once.

13. fiat128

fiat128
    from El Paso TX

Price was right :)

14. belair

belair

"It's got a lock on it"...famous last words. But it is a COOL score. good for you.

15. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

a real good friend was killed a few years back from a jack letting go while he was under it. not a pretty site and the fact that his new grandson will never know how great of a guy he was.

since we all are fabricators as such, so just build you a set of stands that will work for your jack. that is the coolest jack ive ever seen!!

16. Nice jack but I want the CAR!!!!!>>>>.

17. Terry O

Terry O

At the minimum I'd install steel bars perpendicular to the floor, that bolt the lift arms to the floor supports as a back up to the "lock". Heavy bars, grade #8 bolts. Maybe have a couple different lengths to change out if you use it in different positions. Not a substitute for quality jackstands but might give you a second chance if that antique lock fails.

Terry

18. Abomination

Abomination

Hey - I have a hydraulic model from the 50s - a Walker - like that, only vertical!

I also got mine free!

~Jason

19. 348tripower

348tripower

My son in law just dropped one of those off at my house! I don't know where to put it. I have two hoists and no more room.

20. Black Magic

Black Magic

I would of had my pants full man !!!!

21. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

Neat jack ,now get yourself a jack stand used for semi's and put it under center of front axle on car and you are safe and work area is still free The legs of jack stand will fit between wheels on jack

22. eaglebeak

eaglebeak

Change that picture to black 'n white or sepia.
    You would have a very nice old picture.

23. Mopar34

Mopar34

Wheelkid, When you get tired of playing with it, how about packing it up and sending it to me. I sure could use one of those.:D

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thats not a jack, thats part of a cannon! Does it have elevation and training? Sights? Anyone have a firing method handy?

25. Cool jack. How old is that jack? How old is that lock on that old jack? Squashed people don't usually recover too well, if at all.
    2 words for ya. Jack and stands. You put them together however you want.
    How do you spell saftey? jackstands

26. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

[​IMG]
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4GU80

27. Send it to me>>>>.

28. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I agree with the idea of some sort of 'prop rod' that would hold up the front of the jack itself, but personally, even with a pair of tall jackstands, I'd be more leery of the stands than the lift itself. I used to work pulling transmissions out of junk cars for a buddy's dad who would then rebuild them. The cars would go to the junkyard, but he'd build the transmissions.

Anyway, we used one of those, and it made it nice as you could pretty much stand a car on its rear bumper from the front end, or vice versa. These lifts were always very stable, and made things nice in an area with no lift.

I agree with the use of stands, but truthfully, how strong are some of those stands when they get that tall? Would you trust them with a 3000-5000 pound car on it while you are banging it around and wrenching? I know how much weight and ass I put against some of those ancient bolts, and I damned sure wouldn't want them tall, spindly legged stands being the only thing supporting it.

Now, that jack is designed to hold the weight of the car, which in itself is a jack and jackstand combination. Argue if you will, and say what you want, but the only thing I'll agree with in regard to some sort of bracing on this type of jack would be something like an I-beam brace that'd pop up into place under the end of the lift mechanism as sort of, for lack of better wording, a "deadman."

29. I was using the modern equivalent of that yesterday - hook car on rollback, pull front wheels on, tilt deck back level. I was still leery to go under the car, but mostly because the car was such a POS, the frame was falling apart.

30. BOBBY FORD

BOBBY FORD

Cool jack. Saw one years ago.(probably 50 years ago) Haven't seen one since. Nice find and the price was excellent!