Register now to get rid of these ads!

this is really ticking me off...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by yorgatron, Jun 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

answering a craigslist ad for parts

Howdy!

i need the bellhousing (upper and lower) and the starter,how much?
    i might also be interested in the generator.
    thanks!
    -george

Hello sir. Sorry, everything sold. I promised to hold it for someone who also cleaned our yard of old scrap metal. Take care and GOD Bless you.

Sincerely,

Brandon

my reply to that;

<SCRIPT defer type=text/javascript>YAHOO.Shortcuts.hasSensitiveText = false;YAHOO.Shortcuts.sensitivityType = [];YAHOO.Shortcuts.doUlt = false;YAHOO.Shortcuts.location = "us";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_id = 0;YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_type = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_title = "Re: 54 Cadillac parts";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_publish_date = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_author = "[email protected]";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_url = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_tags = "";YAHOO.Shortcuts.document_language = "english";YAHOO.Shortcuts.annotationSet = {"lw_1214783535_0":{"text":"China","extended":0,"startchar":118,"endchar":122,"start":118,"end":122,"extendedFrom":"","predictedCategory":"PLACE","predictionProbability":"0.98786","weight":0.665411,"type":["shortcuts:\/us\/instance\/place\/cn\/country","shortcuts:\/us\/instance\/place\/destination"],"category":["PLACE"],"context":"to keep Cadillacs on the road instead of going to China to be melted down as scrap. i know scrap iron","metaData":{"exchange":"NGM","geoArea":"9.3721e+06","geoCountry":"China","geoIsoCountryCode":"CN","geoLocation":"(104.16565, 36.894451)","geoName":"China","geoPlaceType":"Country","longname":"CDC Corp.","name":"CDC CORPORATION CL-A","type":"shortcuts:\/us\/instance\/place\/cn\/country","visible":"true"},"ult":"http:\/\/fe.shortcuts.search.yahoo.com\/build;_ylt=Alhjh56u3dQS5f9CaIl.yXZjk70X","ult_hover":"http:\/\/fe.shortcuts.search.yahoo.com\/build;_ylt=AjbZOM9cdsjom3eccUa_Abxjk70X"}};</SCRIPT>howdy!
    thanks for replying,but i hope those parts are being used to keep Cadillacs on the road instead of going to China to be melted down as scrap.
    i know scrap iron is going up in price,but keeping our American automotive heritage alive is,to me,far more valuable.
    please also keep in mind that old car parts sell for MORE than the junk dealer will pay.
    thank you.
    -george

2. wvenfield

wvenfield

I would have replied.

"Do you know if they still have this stuff? I've been looking for months for these parts and would be happy to give 4 times what he paid for them".

Not that I actually would.

3. markanthony

markanthony

4. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I had a guy stop by the shop with a '53 Cadillac 2 door. I was on a parts run. One of my guys called me. I told him I'm on my way back, about 10 minutes away. Guy couldn't wait, drove to the scrap yard and crushed it. It was a complete car.... Couldn't wait 10 minutes...

5. Bigblock351w

Bigblock351w
    BANNED

i hope a pile of cars fall on him the next time he visits the scrapper.. it would be a good vengeance.

6. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

he probably dont even know what a scrap yard is -- he he

his kid probably brought this crap home and he is tring to get rid of it

but i would have replied also

7. Mojo

Mojo

douche.

fuck china. They have 1 billion slave laborers, the sell poisoned food (ask russia), poisoned toys, dangerous tools and materials, poluting like there is no tomorrow, and no one is holding them accountable.

8. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

I had a guy selling a 6 banger do the old its going to the scrapper next week. Next week I emailed him yup he had it. I said what will you take for it? $175.00
    I go how about $75.00 ??????
    No way! Was his reply. I said your taking it to the scrap. He still has it and wont come off the price. Its just a plain old 6 banger ford that hasnt run in 20 plus years.

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it amazes me as to how many people out there really have no clue when it comes to old car parts and getting them into the hands of people who need or could use them for the better good. Than to have them sent out like an old washer or dryer to the scrap heap , just to make an I beam for some Building somewhere more than likely not even in this country..sickens me to the bone!

10. It's equally as amazing that guys who know better don't buy the stuff when they have the chance, which I have seen plenty of times... it works both ways.

My response would be that a bellhousing weighs 50 lbs tops, which at $200 a ton scrap means it's worth less than $10, and you're more than willing to pay $100 for it and come get itm because you've been looking for one for months. And you'll use it on a car, not send it to China to maybe get made into a tank or gun or missile.

The answer on the clown who couldn't wait 10 minutes is to keep $500 someplace at the shop one of your guys can give a clown like that on the spot to buy the car.

11. camarofreak

camarofreak
    from alabama

People are scraping way too many old cars and parts that in 15 years or so there will be no used stuff lying around:eek:. Save it while you can. I am sick and tired of seeing Camaros and older 50s and 60s chevys, mercs,and other restorable cars go to the crusher. Stupid China.:mad::mad:

12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i had a scrap guy come by my house to pick up some REAL scrap ie-garbage, not car parts. he looked at the 54 chevy i had in the driveway and said "i pull them fuckers out of the woods all the time and crush 'em. people just give 'em to me"
    i was like "uh, don't crush them, call me first"
    it's amazing what some people consider "junk" it's idiots like this that are going to keep driving prices up for us since their is getting to be fewer and fewer cars left at all. sad.

13. You can blame china, but its our cheap ass citizens buying the shit that fuels the fire. As for the manufacturing part of it, our e.p.a is going to drive all of the manufacturing and small business out of this country. We are gonna kill ourselves with this trendy fad"green everything" bullshit.

14. camarofreak

camarofreak
    from alabama

It appears some of the junk yards with the older cars are starting to fold under and haul their cars to the scrap yards down here. the scrap yard near my house wil let people go in and buy stuff from them.
    We have seen several flatheads up there:eek: fortunatley people go in there and buy them and save them from being made into chinese airplanes or tanks. What is wrong with people today:confused:

15. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

I just don't get it. You guys are crying about all the old junk yards "caving in and scrapping the old cars that have been there for 20 years."

My question is, if it was so great, its been there for 20 years, why haven't you bought it already? Is the guy suppose to hold onto it for another 20 years, you going to buy it then?

My son has a slant 6, it runs. He is upgrading to a V8. Its for sale in the classifieds. Once it comes out of the truck, he has no place to put it. The locals don't want to see it sitting along the outside of his garage, guess where it is going to end up a week or so after it comes out of the truck? Going to be another piece of American history heading for China. If you want something, step up and buy it. It may not be there next week.

I have a Dakota pickup laying here, something needs to be done with it soon, its been sitting in my yard for a little over a month now, the neighbors are looking with rasised eyebrows. I have a decision to make. Scrape here is about $300/ton, the Dakota weights in just under 4,000 lbs. All I have to do is drag it in and I have instant $$ for parts for my project. Yea, I'm going to make some money on it, that was why I bought it. There are a ton of good parts on it, and I can make more parting it out, but how many asses am I going to have to face wanting me to remove this part or that, clean it up and ship it to them for a few bucks. With a little repair I could sell it as a running truck. I have already recieved an offer from someone to send me extra money in a certified check to pay the driver when he picks up the truck. Yea right. A year from now, if my current beater truck dies I'll wish it was still sitting here, but just do not see that happening, It won't fit in the only place I can keep it for long term.

Maybe such a thing as some guy just down the street needs this truck real bad and will be complaining when/if it gets scrapped, but if he doesn't speak up how am I suppose to know? I flunked mind reading 101.

You guys all know the scrap price is high. Some wives are begining to understand that eyesore in the garage is worth an instant new washing machine she wants. If you want it, you better be there before the scrap guy shows up or be able to instantly offer more money then he is, and be able to remove the item promply. If you think scrap is high now, wait until this winter, scrap always goes up in the winter, least around here. Gene

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been hanging onto "one of these days, I'll use it for something" stuff for 30 years. Most of it is pieces of metal that I hack a chunk off once in a while or a big seriously heavy metal door that was going to be a work bench. Unless it is earmarked for a project it is going into the back of the truck and go for scrap to help pay for the pieces for the 48 or the roadster.

I'll have to move out of this place, probably in 5 years and I'm not moving that stuff again. The pieces that should be valuable to someone else for a project will get sold properly so they can use or hord them.

17. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I just moved from Lubbock to Springtown (260 Miles). I have to get the shop and yard cleaned out by the end of July. I have a 2 ton chevy truck with a good drivetrain and 2 speed axle and a clean title. Put an ad in the paper to sell it for 200. Figure that is close to what it will scrap for. Cant get anyone to buy it. It will have to go to the scrap yard if someone doesnt step up an save it. Sometimes theres no choice.

18. $200? I got more than that at $180 a ton for an S10 with no motor.

19. mailwagonman

mailwagonman

I have given up on the "save the old junk" bandwagon. I have alocal crusher that lets me trade weight for weight. I have a few nice old cars and trucks that I thought had too many good parts on them to be crushed. I have tried to sell a couple on here , on Craigs and so on just for the crushing price and a hundred bucks for my time spent hauling, but I guess I live in the wrong area. I can get rid of trucks and cars made after 1965 with no problem, anything older and it just takes up my time and space or I get a reply back "what will you take for the fender bolts?". From now own I will only trade for old stuff to add to my own collection of never to be worked on "future" projects.

JR Rhodes

20. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Well at least the guy sounds like a nice enough guy, so maybe he will get it and repost to you. Hoping so. If not, well, you know what's going to happen.

21. 31whitey

31whitey

let me make this as clear as possible

"people dont give a fuck"

period...what so hard to get?

22. the guy that makes his living selling metal to the scrap yard is only concerned with "weight" and lots of it! the shape or form of it doesn't matter if it's a 55' chevy or a 75' chevy all he sees is $$$ signs. if he can get $300 just hauling it or $350 and fuck around all day waiting for someone to show up 9 times out of 10 it will get ground up.

23. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I ask about a car the other day. Its not for sale.what about scrappers price ? then he said 12 buck a hundred. Oh well another one to china.

24. 5window

5window

I think we should all just agree, or have Ryan ban, the topic of China. It's not entirely their fault and it's not the place on the HAMB, to discuss crippling benefits contracts from US unions, environmental regulations, loss of jobs,etc.

"China", and it's a pretty big place to lump together, can certainly make good steel, good tools, safe food and quality goods. They don't need to, because you, me and all their customers will buy the cheap, poisonous crap they can make cheaply. If the world market is consumer driven, if you would just say I'm buying quality and I refuse to buy junk, then the Chinese and other factories would make what you want to buy. The problem is not with China, it's us.

25. 31whitey

31whitey

I thought I cleared this up

"people dont give a fuck"

26. kustombypook

kustombypook

Exactlly. Everyone is all about saving all the old stuff, but no one really wants it. I have had a 292 y-block in the classifieds for about a year now, FREE, just come and get it. I haven't even had any responses to it, but when I finally get tired of moving it around, and take it to the scrap yard, I am the ass hole.

27. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

So the guy lists it on craigslist and tries to save some parts.

You're late to the party and miss your parts, and the hulk's gone to the scrapper.

So for his trouble, the POLITE seller gets an earful of your WHINY BULLSHIT.

Thanks Yorgatron, you just made hot rodders look like DOUCHEBAGS. Do you think he'll part out the next one? Probably not. Next one goes straight to the crusher because a craigslist ad will generate WHINY BULLSHIT FROM DOUCHEBAGS. Scrapyard just cuts you a check, and nowhere on that check is written any WHINY BULLSHIT FROM DOUCHEBAGS.

:( Bad day for the car hobby

28. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

Ever try selling a car or parting one out? You get a hundred phones calls from fifty different people, half of whom are full of shit. The other half want to meet at twenty five different times during the week, half of them wont show up at all and the other half will show up late. Once they get there half will kick the tires while the other twelve will waste your time trying to haggle over an already "too good to be true" price, and the one remaining guy might actually buy it.

If you're some old coot who doesn't give a shit about cars it's just easier to scrap it.

29. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

And that is the reason I hate selling cars, such a time waster. I am stuck with a few cars that I refuse to scrap but they have to sell(I'm moving) the funny thing is I have so many people that feel they need to tell me to hang on to them or rent a storage garage for them like I need to make my life revolve around saving some old rust bucket than nobody appears to want but they won't even give me a few hundred bucks just to save them and they can deal with the responsibility.

30. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Boy can I ever relate to the winey bull shit of people wanting your, ( car, parts ,or what ever) I have never met such a bunch of I want I want I want motherfuckers, but they never come and pay you for it, or come and get it.
    None of these people are HAMBers that i am speaking of . and the cars and stuff im talking about is not of this site..but it still caries over into all types of shit.
    Like for instance I have a beautiful buick for sale that is worth every dam penny..every dam tire kicker wants it for what they found a rusted out hulk prices..than go on to wasting my time with e-mails, picture requests, and way too low ball pricing for what they will give me for it.
    last asshat that pulled that shit on me got told .."Its not for sale" I will roll this bitch for the next 5 years and enjoy the fruits of my labor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.