Register now to get rid of these ads!

'29 Roadster - Its on the road! - Thanks guys!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qzjrd5, Jun 26, 2008.

1. MR. FORD

MR. FORD
    from Austin, TX

Right on. No flys on that bad boy!:D

2. Old Rod

Old Rod
    from Brazil, IN

Really nice job!! 28-9 Roadsters have always been my favorite.

3. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

You did a great job this car looks great....like the motor too.

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

nice roadster.dont change anything

5. poorboy

poorboy

awesome car! i dig it exactly as it looks!

6. HELLMET

HELLMET

awsome car great job.billy

7. That thing is awesome!!! I love everything about it. Less is more!

8. Count me in too, it's a beauty!

9. that is one bitchin hot rod,nice job

10. yup - that's perfect man!! good job -

11. JBEAU

JBEAU

awesome job bud....nothin like a droptop hot rod....

12. damn fine job ..

13. yblock292

yblock292

love to see generators and fan blades!!!!!!! Had mine out last night before more storms hit, Nothing better then a cruise in the countryside in a roadster. Nice job by the way

14. HotRodDrummer

HotRodDrummer

That's what rodding is about man!!

Looks Great Mike, glad to have helped. You did a wonderful job.

Matt Lesky

15. beatnik

beatnik

16. MIKE-3137

MIKE-3137

That's how a roadster should look!

17. I am Green with envy. Nice job.

18. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Brookville body - I took the easy way out on that one! :)

Air cleaner is off of a '61 Vette. Donation from my pops.

I am thinking green right now on a color. But nothing is for sure. It will be gloss I think.

If you count total time from start, to change direction, to restart, to finish, it took about 4 years. If you count it from the restart to finish, it took about 2 years. Somewhere along the line I changed from a Model A frame to a very nice custom new '32 frame. I had to sell my Nova to do it - but I am glad I did. The suspension and driveline were already done though from the original concept.

Thanks again for the kind words.

19. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

Did you get your body directly from Brookville or one of their distributors or did you get it from a 3rd party?

The car looks great by the way! I can't wait to see it in paint! :)

20. Well done!!!
    The chassis shots really added to the appreciation of the ride:cool:
    Skot

21. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

Drove my '97 Chevy PU truck down there in and picked it right up from their little factory. Brookville has a good thing going - I would buy another body from them in a second (but I would need a small loan!).

Mike

22. hemifarris

hemifarris

Mike,
    I'm surprised the "FNG" with the dark blue '37 coupe hasn't commented. You know who I mean :D....I'd paint it with gloss paint, no matter the color you decide to use...just my humble opinion.
    Mike
    P.S....this fall, when the weather cools down,you and Kent should come over and see my cars and parts collection. I know who you are now and trust you.

23. What a sweet, sweet 'lil roadster! Congratulaions on a great build...

Joel

24. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Very cool car!!!!!

Did you get a Brookville body that already fits a '32 frame or did you modify the stock floor.
    I see that the Ionia boys flattend the '32 frame in the cowl area so no gap shows ...
    Very clever.

I love the frame!!!!

25. HotRod_Joe

HotRod_Joe

What options did you get on your body? I'm considering getting one, as good bodies are few and far between around here.

26. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

I think the only options I purchased were the '32 frame style body type, the 2 inch chopped stainless steel windshield stanchions, and the '32 dash.

I hadn't ordered the body until after I decided to go with the '32 chassis.

I also was able to find an original gas tank, because the one piece that doesn't look right on the Brookville body is the front of the tank (upper firewall). I liked the "V" that is in the originals. Brookville built the body with my tank and I saved some $$ because I didn't have to purchase the cowl cover.

The idea was to make it look as much like an original body as possible. Some of Brookville's options are more for the streetrodder than for the hotrodder.

Mike

27. Question: Where ya get the punched out boxing plates? Also the cross member? I just finished a 32 frame and wish I'd used this style boxing plates -- too late now though! Also, can't tell from the photo exactly how ya attached the bottom end of the rear shocks. How many leafs did ya finally use in the rear spring pack? Think I need to take it down to the minimum on my ride since the car is so much lighter then the old tank it came from.......
    Car looks great. Wish mine was this far along!!!!
    Happy driving!!!!
    -Ruffdawg

28. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Does the '32 style floor fit good or still some cutting to do.
    I heard Brookvilles '32 style floor only fit their own chassis and they are different than others??
    Michael

29. Red Ryder

Red Ryder

Very nice! Right along the order of my dream car. Gonna get there one day soon.

30. qzjrd5

qzjrd5
    from Troy, MI

The boxing plates and crossmembers are Ionia Hot Rod Shop pieces. And yes, Ionia modified the upper rails to make the flatter Model A body fit without the filler shims. The Lesky's know what they are doing!

Rear shocks are mounted on a couple of welded shock mounts on the axle tubes. I made them out of 3/16 steel, put a few holes in them to try and make them fit the theme. I really wanted to use the '47-'48 style forged mounts that bolt onto the outboard axle flange (per the Bishop Tardell book) but they just wouldn't work out with the upper shock mounts already attached to the rear crossmember. The shocks are '69 Corvette rear shocks.

For the rear spring I used every other leaf ('36 spring), but I did use the longest one that mates to the main eye leaf. Its pretty highly sprung right now - I may take a couple more leaves out - rides pretty much like a 25 series truck!

The body did require a little more modification than Brookville does with their chassis. I would say its still worth the $100 option for them to what they do to make it fit better.