Register now to get rid of these ads!

SBC to '49 Ford Trans Adapter ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob the Ferret, Jun 26, 2008.

1. I've got a '50 Ford Shoebox that I'm thinking of repowering with an sbc . I've got a 3 speed non O/D trans. Several companies used to make these adapters, but recent research hasn't turned up anything . Anyone know where one might be ? What flywheel mods and clutch are needed , etc .?

2. 3 Deuces

3 Deuces

IF the SBC has much horsepower at all, the 50 flathead transmission will be toast soon. I suggest going ahead and upgrading to the Chevrolet transmission while you are at it.

3. This engine will be a small , smallblock 262-283 , stock daily driver . I'd like to keep the 3 pedals and the column shift . I'm hoping this would be easier since I wouldn't have change trans mounts , driveshaft and shifter .

4. firerod

firerod
    from Colorado

Speedway sells the adapter and list what is needed.

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check with Wilcap.

However, you've already got an open driveline - why not change the trans out too? Save money on adapters and get a modern trans.

6. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

You should have asked the question a couple days ago---I saw one lying on the ground at the Stafford Springs swap meet yesterday!