Register now to get rid of these ads!

opion insurance company question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 pickem up, Jun 25, 2008.

1. wvenfield

wvenfield

Just ask. I had no idea that my local agent (noted above) dealt with specialty car insurance. I called Hagerty and Grundy on my own before asking her about it. She said that they generally dealt with American Hobbyists.

She answered all my questions, called them herself. Got me a quote. Took the pics and sent them.

2. houston54

houston54

I just went through the hassle of finding insurance for my 54 truck. NONE of the "classic/collector" insurers wanted to provide a product that would cover general use. I plan on driving the truck after 5.5 years of effort not look at it in the garage. The hags and grundys all excluded general transportation use of the truck and it had to be in a garage. No use for work. Just shows and sunday driving. Bullshet! My Nationwide agent was able to find a policy for $15K agreed cash value but it would have run me $392/6 months for full coverage. I did some more calling and found a policy through SAFECO for the same limits for only $178.80/6 months based on excluding my 19yr old and $315/6 months to include him.

Those collector insurers are a racket and are missing a bet by not covering those of us who want to use our vehicles. Sure you can lie to them and tell them you will use it as a daily driver but if you have a need for a claim you might be sol.

3. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

You could ask you car/home agent. In our office we can write pretty much anything, home, auto, commerical, health and life. classic, watercraft whatever, I am getting a quote now to insure a pianist's hands ! A lot of agents stive to be able to supply all their clients insurance needs. If that does not work, maybe a local phone book or if you know anyone else with classic cars they may have an agent.

4. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

my car/home agent works for state farm, so he's trying to sell me their coverage.

5. panic

panic

My apologies.
    Obviously there are honorable exceptions, whose professional behavior makes them our only choice.

My work in the Supreme Court seldom involved cases of good behavior!!

6. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

Sorry I got upset. I just think you have to treat others how you want to be treated- I really try to do the best I can for my clients. Any agent or insurance company should be able to provide you in writing ( and not on a napkin) proof of what is covered. Its available and you should keep it to protect you. There are dishonest people in probably every profession. I do the best I can to help people to get the best rate and coverage available. I've been doing this over 30 years ( I started when I was 7 !!) its gotten a lot more complicated .
    Again, I apologize

7. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

My company has a 10k mileage restriction and when you think about it, thats alot. I drove the crap out of my car last year and didn't even come close to 10k miles. Thats not as much of an issue as the value of the car. My ride is insured for $45k and if it burns down tonite, they minus off my $500 deductible and send me a check. The mileage restrictions and no trips to Walmart are a small price to pay.

8. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

10,000 miles is a lot allowed for classic. I believe Grundy allows 6k and you can roll over unused miles. Can I ask what company you are with ?

9. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I just got a quote from Grundy, it was within a few dollars of my hagerty quote.

The original online quote was about half of Hagertys, but them upped the price b/c a 63 Nova qualifies as a muscle car. I guess that lil' 194 has some muscle I have yet to tap into...

10. Ichoptop

Ichoptop

I think everyone is missing the point. A lower yearly rate for insurance is great but if my roadster gets hit by a dumptruck with me in it I want to know how my insurance company will A) fix me and B) fix my car.

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Don't state something that isn't true please especially since you are an insurance agent.

There are NO millage restrictions what so ever with Grundy. I drive between 15,000 and 20,000 miles pre year in my '47 Oldsmobile convertible and every single mile is covered INCLUDING my trips to Walmart and Target.;)

12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Well you must really be special Denise. :D

Again, they were adament that I would not be covered if I ran to Wal-Mart to pick up some bread and milk.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Well, I guess I'm special then. :D
    The only place my car is not covered is on a race track or when someone under the age of 25 is driving, period. No where in my contract, and it is a contract, does it state that I am not covered in a wally world parking lot or on an certain highway at 8am on a Tuesday morning.

14. Trust me, and hundreds of other HAMBers, she IS special! But all that aside, I've got 3 cars insured w/ Grundy and as far as I can tell, she's absolutely correct.

15. skidsteer

skidsteer

41Caddywidow,
    I am floored with your honesty and fairness. Let me know when you reach your conclusion. What would be the best company for a '37 Plymouth, licensed as a street rod, driven only to shows and parades? thanks. Jerry

16. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

I agree. Wally-Mart and getting milk fall under the 'running errands' part I think.

[​IMG]

I was surprised when they sent this to me. In the online questionaire I said:
    I also sent them an email that said:
    To date, they have not answered this question. They have however answered other questions from the same email.

17. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

American National Insurance. I have had a few clients have claims on their classic cars and the yearly mileage was not an issue. Making sure the vehicle is properly covered is the main issue. We do a "re-appraisal" every three years to find out if any improvements or modifications have been made and reajust the value at that time. If nothing has been done, the value stays the same.

18. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

Thanks for the kind words. I think its important to treat people how you want to be treated and to help others when you can.
    I am still waiting for info in the mail from some companies. My son messed up the spacebar on our keyboard so sorry about extra/missing spaces. I have talked to Grundy and quoted 2 off the wall cars with them for clients. I quoted a$90k 1996 Porsche it was about $1300 with Grundy and over $1600 with Hagerty. They are also considering a 91 Mustang which surprised me its not old enough for most cos. but info on these cars probably don't help many Hamb people. I believe Grundy is very flexible on mileage,but I want the info from Grundy infront of me before I type it here.Hope to have it soon. Linda

19. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

I wrote "I believe 6k" in my post,I do not have the info -I am waiting for it from Grundy. I would not state something as a fact unless I had something from a company that backed it up in writing

20. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

I have never dealt with them. It really is important to be sure the car is covered for current value. 3 years is a good idea. People put money into their cars and add additions to houses and don't let their agent know sometimes its scary