Register now to get rid of these ads!

The 51 rebuild...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Odd ball, May 5, 2008.

1. So I thought I would start a thread dedicated to the 51 during the rebuild...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. while im at it... here is the 29 on its way to my bro's... cool pics, i thought :cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. some updates... cowl is fixed, engine has been gone through and regasketed, and a new tire installed aswell as new front brake lines...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Bitchin progress, love the tractor.

5. Looking good. That is one sharp engine!

6. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

coool deal looking better all the time

7. choptruck

choptruck

Hell yeah that looks real good. I want to come by and check it out soon. Where did the 29 go? Your brother paul has it?

8. fatcaddi

fatcaddi

so uh not to be rude or anything but what happened to it?

9. Some more progress...

hey rick, you can stop by whenever man... ill most likely be wrenching on it or toying with something... as for the roadster, paul has it... most likely collecting dust... ha

as for what happened to it... the carb loaded up and caught fire on the highway...

more of the engine... i installed custom side mounts and got rid of the front mount i had used before
    [​IMG]

redid front suspension aswell
    [​IMG]

my new dash, sanded and primered
    [​IMG]

I opted to put a duel master cylinder on with power brakes... anyone ever use this kit? found it on obsolete ford parts book... looks like a good setup
    [​IMG]

10. OshkoshRob

OshkoshRob
    from Oshkosh

Looks cool, can't wait to see the end results.

11. 63jalopy

63jalopy

Looks great. Any close-up shots of the engine mounts you have there. I'm looking for ideas for my '50 and it's new engine.

12. chaddilac

chaddilac

Wow, great progress!! keep us posted!

13. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

what did you do for the suspension? i.e. lowered springs and rear blocks? looks good

14. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Im remember the fire thread looks good .

15. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Lookin good, progress is progress. Let me know your thoughts on the power brake setup. I'm thumbing through a few myself for my '51. I will be keeping the stock pedals as stock as I can especially since I'm running a manual.

16. thanks for the replies... really helps me out on the moral part of it... but im happy things are going as well as they are, sucks not having a hotrod for summer cruising though...

hey slowandlow... i know what you mean.. this setup wont effect the pedals, it comes with a new brake pedal.. but the stock clutch and all will work.. reason i got it cuz i have a 4 speed that i fabricated using the stock clutch pedal assembly... so ill keep that part updated for sure... got my fingers crossed it fits well... the master cylinder gets put farther back, looks to be under the seat...

The way this car is lowered is with Jamco rear leaf springs, 4 inch blocks and flipped uprights with aerostar springs in the front.

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  17. oh.. and ill see about getting a close up of the mounts... they actually are 80.00 from speed way, they are for putting a chevy in a 1953-64 ford pick-up... i just shortened them up and they fit great!

18. I used the same brake kit you have. Mine came from Master Power. It hung below the frame so far that I modifyed the mount as much as I could to get it up. It ended up 1/2" below the floor pan and still hung below the frame. Thought I could live with it but the booster hits right away so built a Skid plate. Not Good. The booster is a P.O.S. and the Master they sold me for GM disc and Ford drums wasn't even close to working correctly. I changed the Master and things improved as far as stopping. The Booster is coming off next weekend and going in the Trash. Hind sight I should have just used the Stock pedal and a Nova manual disc/drum master. Would have saved $300.oo and a lot of Fancy Words. Also I talked to Master Power about my problems since they were the ones to select Booster/ Master combo for me and basicly got told to Take a Hike. There Tec dept really Sucks in my Opinyon. If you do a search of my posts you'll see the unit mounted on my bare frame.
    The Wizzard

19. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

WOW, now I'm nervous and a thread stealer. That was the kit I was looking at. All I've heard is good things about MP Brakes. That sounds like exactly what I need too, GM discs and Ford drums.

20. ill have to see how it works out... im not going to be going the air-ride route... its as low as i like it now... so i think ill be ok...

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  21. Just wondering if this is a blessing in diguise? Looks pretty good in the rebuilding pic's. Did it look that good before? Would you have upgraded all that stuff if it wouldn't have caught fire?
    I think you are doing a fantastic job,Odd ball...

22. hey thanks badbob... i kinda see it as a blessing in a wierd and odd way... i would have done this stuff... in time... haha... i am one to put things off... so its kinda giving me my chance to get it done now... and a reason too! as much as it sucks... ill tell you that putting it all together again is too much fun! though, since this incident happened, my 40 is collecting dust...

23. here is some close ups of the modified motor mounts...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. 63jalopy

63jalopy

nice job. thanks for the pics of the mounts. that helps me a lot with mine.

25. here is a before pic i found... this is before i added all new tinted glass and new rubber... also, the old look of the engine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. no problem 63jalopy... i ordered a new gas tank from drake....backordered... hmm... didnt see that one coming? ;) but its on-sale!

27. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks like he heated the springs in the front!:D

28. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

thanks for the pics, when you fliped the uprights did you heat and bend the tie rod arm or did you get lowered ones?

thanks

29. mattcrp1

mattcrp1

btw what wheel and tire combo are you using?