Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there lead in 50's car paint?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flyspec14, Jun 25, 2008.

1. flyspec14

flyspec14

I'm in the process of stripping my project of all the old paint with a wheel. It obviously creates a bunch of dust. Ya think there is a lead contamination issue? I'm wearing a respirator, but my dog is acting kinda wierd. He wasn't around when I was doing it but I'm sure he tracked through some of the dust in the garage the next day. Jus wondering if the two are related? Thanks HAMBers!

2. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

3. ssaahemifan

ssaahemifan

older paints usually have a fair amount of lead in them. I think it is something that builds up over time so a once and a while job probably isn't real harmful.

4. gas pumper

gas pumper

With house paint, 1978 was the end of lead. So car paint should be very close to the same time frame, IMO.

Frank

5. monsterflake

monsterflake

does the pope crap in the woods?

6. toddc

toddc

There certainly is lead in the paint. A one off job probably won't affect you or your dog, but don't let little kids anywhere near it. It will likely cause some degree of brain damage. I shit you not.

7. kustombypook

kustombypook

Wow. I never even thought about lead being in car paint. I wire wheeled my entire car about 8 or 9 years ago and I didn't even think of wearing a respirator. Oh well, you live you learn. I guess I'll know better next time.

I think I am going to go lie down now.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep..just dont go chewin' on it..you know like you did your window sill when you were a diaper filler?..if that happened, than the damage is done ..too late.

9. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

The big push to remove lead from paint started in the early 70's and coincided with the introduction of acrylic enamels used with or without hardeners. The first A/Enamel I painted was Ditzler "delstar" in 1967. No hardeners were available at that time (that I'm aware of). The last lead based synthetic enamel job I did was in 1975, Also Ditzler-"Ditzco" enamel.... Any OEM or repaint done prior to the mid 70's almost certainly is lead based...ANY paint work done prior to 1980 should be concidered "suspect" I wouldn't take chances, especially with kids around.

I always thought it was curious that the Govt. mandated the removal of lead in paint (a good thing) to be replaced with cyanide based hardeners (a bad thing).

If you are going to do your repaint in your garage or home shop with a urethane or acrylic enamel that contains a hardener you should also be aware that if you can smell the fumes they are causing nerve damage to you and anybody else (kids and dogs alike) that can smell them. That goes for two part primers as well.....

10. chaddilac

chaddilac

if it's not in it, it'll be under it at the seams where they were leaded together.

11. TODDC has hit the nail on the head . It was discovered that adults who worked around lead hazards had enough on their work clothing that it affected their children at home who had no direct contact . Lead was all pervasive in oil based paints . Lead was used most heavily in the warmer colors to brighten and stabilize the pigment .

12. Absolutely.

Real OLD paint is noticeably heavier than the newer stuff.

13. autobilly

autobilly

Some paint on cheap Chinese made toys still does!

14. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Lead was also probably not the only bad stuff in paint. Besides the base chemicals, they are all kinds of whatever to make the pigments all those great colors, whatever worked and was the cheapest way to do it. With pretty much no restrictions, you can bet there was/is all kinds of nasty stuff in paint and I wouldn't just assume the current paints are that much better besides not having lead because they passed laws on that but not other stuff. I am not saying all paints are completely toxic, just saying I wouldn't trust it not to be as you just don't really know and they aren't forced to tell you. "Pigment" can be pretty much anything besides lead.

15. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

You can bet it has lead in it and what do you mean "act funny"? I stripped my A that way and I'm not acting funny...am I?:(:eek: Anyway, my dog doesn't think so.... does he? Buddy...here boy...Buddy, now where did he run off to? He's been acting funny lately...here boy!:eek:

16. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Lead in automotive paint, yep!

Cobalt
    And:Cadmium
    Chromium
    Manganese
    Arsenic
    Mercury

Also, the ketones,esters,glycol ester,epoxy resin,polyurethane-
    resin all can, and will fuck you up if not handled properly.

Most attack the liver, kidneys, nervous system, reproductive
    system, respiratory system, and yes, the heart & circulatory
    system. Unlike Camel nonfilters, and bottles of cheep borbon,
    the above mentioned chemicals may not take thirty years to
    kill you!

Everyone's gotta die of somethin', but why be stupid about it?
    READ AND HEED ALL HEALTH/SAFETY WARNINGS ON PAINT
    MATERIAL PACKAGES! They arn't there jus' to keep lawyers
    employed!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

17. Oilcan Harry

Oilcan Harry
    from INDY

That settles it, I'm using latex! Maybe watercolors. How bout that paint kindergardeners use for finger painting, that should be safe.

18. toddc

toddc

A safe paint? Milk based or lime wash

Some yellow pigments are made with Uranium oxide.:eek:

Like said above, if you can smell it, its doing you harm.

19. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

20. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

No wonder my dog has that fifth leg coming out it's chest...

21. PAUCHO

PAUCHO

AHHhhhh ....Ya bunch -a-pussies !.....When I was a boy we ate lead sandwiches for lunch.....Bring on the lead !.....Breath it man ! ...Breath it !!!

22. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Wow guess I got to stop eating snutz :eek:

Well you don't really eat it, you, forget it, nevermind.

23. Fortunately, It's not too late.

Get a blood test to check the level of lead in you. If the results of your test is poor, a Treatment called Chelation can remove the lead stored up in your body.

Heres a quote with some more details:
    Chelation therapy

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
    <!-- start content -->Chelation therapy is the administration of chelating agents to remove heavy metals from the body. For the most common forms of heavy metal intoxication—those involving lead, arsenic or mercury—the standard of care in the USA dictates the use of dimercaptosuccinic acid (DMSA) or Dimercaprol.<SUP class="noprint Template-Fact">[citation needed]</SUP> Other chelating agents, such as 2,3-dimercapto-1-propanesulfonic acid (DMPS) and alpha lipoic acid (ALA), are used in conventional and alternative medicine.

I love it when medical science can fix me when I screw up:)

24. hemifarris

hemifarris

Early metallics used lead pigment for the metallic look.

25. It's only bad for you in California.