Register now to get rid of these ads!

What Else Do You Collect?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jun 24, 2008.

1. VNCduke

VNCduke
    from Washougal

Thats so cool! Thanks for something new for me to start collecting, so are these from all different regions of the US? where do i find the different types?

2. ocfab

ocfab

3. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

I collect 1930s - 1960s mom and pop roadside items. Everything from motel signs to drive in restaurant menus. The paper items are the easiest since it doesn't take up as much room - brochures, matchbooks, decals, postcards. Oh, and we do have a complete set of the old A&W Burger Family statues.:D

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

this will be a hoot........ i collect vintage sewing machines. mainly treadle type but i am looking for a 501 singer emachine. i also restore them and "hot rod" a few of them also. i have a 1910 Singer model 27 that im going through right now that i just painted a candy brandywine with 22k gold leaf decals. i hope to be sewing on that one really soon, just waiting on the platers to get my stuff back to assemble it.

5. BlackCherryImpala

BlackCherryImpala
    from Girard, KS

My Dad has a barbed wire collection. He has picked up pieces at antique shops and auctions in SE Kansas, SW Missouri and NW Oklahoma for decades. Your best bet in finding them is to find a collection, and not a piece at a time. They are primarily from the late 1800s and early 1900s and the different designs were extensive before wire got standardized. There are many patents on file for barbed wire. Dad also has an antique toaster collection, primitive tool collection, complete Kansas license plate collection, arrowheads, beer cans, and 8 antique cars and trucks.

6. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Here's the larger pieces of the collection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Slonaker

Slonaker

I have a small collection of old motel glasses. The ones that used to have the name of the motel on them, that people used to steal from the rooms. :)

I have about 20 that i have picked up from thrift store over the last 15 years. I haven't come across one in several years, though.

I also have a couple of the old hotel ashtrays, too. I don't smoke, but the items just seem to go together.

Slonaker

8. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

could you see yourself eating dinner and looking out the kitchen window and seeing them staring at you while you eat..................thats kinda creepy in a cool sorta way!

9. tinyt869

tinyt869

hot wheels and hot rod magazines from the 60s and 70s for both

10. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Yup, "Vintage Roadside" is the winner so far.
    Geez, I thought I'd get the prize with my collection of urinal cakes...

[​IMG]

"Vintage Roadside" you da man...

11. storm king

storm king

automatic weapons

12. Flatman

Flatman

Vintage hunting and outdoor equipment, mostly pre 1950's.

Flatman

13. autobilly

autobilly

Thanks Chad s, interesting and comprehensive answer.
    Shame I'm in Oz, I'd love to see your collection. I'd dig having a pre '6o's 1/2" Snap-On kit.

14. chromedaddyo

chromedaddyo
    from Ohio

Muscle cars, Model cars, Honda mini trails and guns,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh yeah and what is this thing for old clocks?

15. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

It sort of looks like this when that happens.

[​IMG]

We love seeing them out there everyday. Kind of hard not to start the day without a smile after you look out and see them.

16. Vintage Roadside

Vintage Roadside

Those glasses are great. Any photos? I've got a few ashtrays from old Tourist Courts that I really like.

Thanks everybody for the kind words about the Burger Family. Whenever we have people over they're usually a little stunned by them.

17. tattedfordguy

tattedfordguy

hotwheels I have a little over 2 thousand pretty good for only 3 years

18. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

wow, those old Snapon tools are cool as hell. i would imagine they are worth a ton.

19. lowlife_slim

lowlife_slim

wow, it would be a wild ride shroomin' in your back yard. crazy.

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

Old Bicycle bells,Antique medical stuff,Vintage clothing ( pre 1930 ) and Corsets,,and giant railroad wrenches

21. Westside Lefty

Westside Lefty
    from Venice

22. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It seems we are quite a cultured lot after all, maybe a bit rough around the edges but definitely cultured.

A long time ago I worked at a place where they trained typists in the old days, nice environment to work in with all the young ladies and when electric typewriters turned up they dumped all the stock of old typewriters some going right back to who knows when.

You could have even made up sets of consecutive model numbers for years in a row and about 4 or 5 different company brands as well.

I knew I should have taken one of each but back then I would not have known why.

Maybe if a chick came with each one it may have been more interesting to me then.

23. Professor Fate

Professor Fate
    from the bay

spores, molds and fungus.

24. Toast

Toast
    from Jenks, OK

Money, but my collection is a little thin!:D:D

25. Crankhole

Crankhole

Other than what?

26. I've already done this thread!!!! POSER!!!!

27. old beet

old beet

I have about 2500 ball point pens from 1948-1965 all with Advertisment on them. Was dad's collection.

28. Slonaker

Slonaker

These are the only two glasses that I happen to already have photos of. Note that one is from Mexico, and the other is marked on the back in ounces. I assume this was for mixing drinks, but I could be mistaken.

I found a photo of a Travelodge ashtray, but it is just a macro photo of the logo on the bottom.

If you are really interested, I could dig up a few and take some pics for you. They are scattered around the house, so it would take some time to dig them up. :)

Slonaker

Attached Files:

29. creepyjackalope

creepyjackalope

Your so hardcore.....:)

I have a Rip Saw thats ridden but the day I get an old original Gonz 1st Gen or a "color my friends in" model its going on the wall.

30. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

To Badbob, this is a cultured thread and does not require comments from folks with irritable bowel syndrome, yaba daba doo to you too.

Obviously you are Osama Bin Ladens speech writer.

Sorry did not realize you owned this site.
    I could rename this thread "What else besides what is on Bob's thread do you collect"

Guess you would have an issue with that too, get it off your chest son!