Register now to get rid of these ads!

opion insurance company question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51 pickem up, Jun 25, 2008.

1. 51 pickem up

51 pickem up
    from mosheim,tn

any opions on grundy or haggerty insurance?
    got online quotes from both for my truck (51 chevy 3100)
    haggerty 507.00
    grundy 199.00
    big difference in price.
    any comments would be welcome.
    TIA
    al sisson
    nosheim tn.:eek:

2. skidsteer

skidsteer

There was a thread on this subject about a month ago. As I recall, Grundy got good reviews, I'm not sure why the huge price difference?

3. ChevyIIMan

ChevyIIMan
    from Fenton, MO

Im switching from Haggerty to Grundy soon, an $80 diffrence on my 72 Nova. Gundy has gotten good results from friends.

4. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

Grundy has my vote .Allstate to Grundy was 350.00 less. Real easy to get coverage and friendly as hell on the phone

5. I switched two years ago. They were go on the phone. Talked like they wanted my business. Price was less than half of The Hag folks.

6. CHOPSHOP

CHOPSHOP
    from Malden,MA

Grundy- hands down- use it myself and recommend it to clients.

So far they have been fair on both sides, as a shop AND an owner.

7. Old Gold

Old Gold

Condon & Skelly. Less than both and awsome to deal with.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

9. Weasel

Weasel

Hagerty really pissed me off years ago when they asked me "what did you pay for it?" for a car I had bought a dozen years earlier. I told them what I had paid was a). not relevant to it's then current value and b). none of their damn business anyway.

At that time the CA DMV was trying to spy on people by asking insurance companies what collector vehicles were insured for to see if they could screw bigger vehicle license "fees" - that's T-A-X to you and me - based on appreciating values. That one soon got squashed. I immediately cancelled all my Hagerty policies and have been with Grundy for several years now - never looked back and from what I hear Grundy are great on settling claims. Go Grundy!

10. CruZer

CruZer

I've used Grundy for about 15 years and have been treated very well.In fact, my premium goes down every once in awhile.
    I haven't had a claim but a friend of mine did when his suicide door blew open. They even paid to have it re-pinstriped after the repair..

11. vintagered13

vintagered13

Grundy hands down. They emailed me paper work I sent it overnight back to them with pics. Next day I had a policy. Can't beat that. All for $142 a year

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Condon and Skelly renewal was 335.00 for my roadster. Grundy is 175.00 for the same coverage. Grundy has no mileage restriction.

I was up for renewal and my buddy said to call them. I did and was pleasantly surprised. That's 150 that can go to old parts.

13. boldventure

boldventure

I talked to a Condon & Skelly rep. at the Goodguys show in Pleasanton last month. His take on the swing in rates is that the specialty companies pay different commission rates to the agents that write the policy. Usually the coverage is fairly comparable.

14. hemifarris

hemifarris

Grundy !!! They're excellent people to deal with.

15. Just signed up with Grundy last week!

16. WildWilly68

WildWilly68

One more vote for Grundy...switched from Hagarty and cut the rate in half.

17. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

Same here... also I found out through the wonderful world of the HAMB, that with Grundy, there is a price bread once you get to agreed on value of $25,000...

18. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Grundy- hands down- use it myself and recommend it to my friends

19. panic

panic

20. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

i chose and use Grundy. They were good to deal with, price was good. I tried Hagerty first and they were horrible to deal with in that they were never satisfied with what I provided them. First they detailed pictures they wanted. I sent them. Then they wanted more. Then they wanted more. Make up your mind already. I won't use them due to the run around.

21. Ebert

Ebert

American Modern!!! www.amig.com AWESOME to work with and great prices. If you have kids under 25 who drive your stuff, ask them for an exception to insure them! Most collector insurers do not insure under 25 years of age.

22. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

I'm a Grundy man.

Doc.

23. shoprat

shoprat
    Member Emeritus
    from Orange, CA

I went with American Hobbyist because they're Alliance member here
    They were nice enough

24. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I've been with JC Taylor for years, only claim was on a windshield for my Studebaker. Low rates on all 5 of my cars, based on MY value, no mileage limitations..........can't be a daily driver to work, though.

25. wvenfield

wvenfield

I didn't even realize that. I'm going to have to go look that up as they are who I use. For my 54 Chevy it was like $117 a year. I just switched to my 56 Pontiac and I'm waiting for a price quote.

I gave them a figure I wanted it insured for and they looked at the pics and said "no problem". I've neve rmade a claim with them though.

26. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

I write car insurance, which is how I started dating KUSTOM7777 when I insured his 51 Ford- that was 20+ cars ago. We deal with Hagerty where I work, they have done a lot of favors for me over the years. Have not had a lot of claims with them, what few we have were not a problem. I just picked up American Modern. They will let you drive your classic car to work like once a week and still cover it if something happens and I think they are more flexible in other ways too like not needing a regular use car for every driver in the house before you can insure a car classic. I want to compare their premiums with some Hagerty ones. Some of those Grundy rates look really good. I am going to contact them - maybe we can add them to the companies we write. There is a company called AM Best that rates insurance companies. You can go on line and see how they are rated for claims, customer service etc . Bottom line is how they pay claims . Once I see if I can get Grundy I can compare the 3 companies for a few cars and let you know how it goes. But just because one is less in one state does not mean it will be where you are and it can vary based on age, location, driving record, value and use of car etc and even your credit history.
    Linda

27. wvenfield

wvenfield

Thanks Linda for your insight. Sounds like you could be a good source for many insurance questions people run into.

28. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

I would be happy to help anyway I can.
    Linda

29. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

Hi Linda..another Agent down here..20 years.
    Rates and rules as Linda states are state specific...AND city specific.
    For instance, as AZ Geezer is in a smaller community (AT PRESENT !!..growing fast) his rates are quite a bit less than Phoenix. Congestion = higher claims generally.

Another company I have found that has been very good here is American Collectors, I also rate American Modern, Grundy, Haggerty.
    I have never had a claim issue with any of these companies.
    My collector cars are now with American Collector..but I rate it with each on renewal.
    I have clients at each company as appropriate to the clients needs and rates offered.
    Check rates in YOUR state for comparison..look for Agreed Value.
    If your car gets stolen..the AGREED VALUED is the amount you will settle.

Most companies rate modified (motors, frame changes etc) higher than stock restored. Check the guidelines.

Generally I suggest Independant Agents..who owe no allegiance to one company. They will shop rates and coverage..YOU get to PICK your company.

Only use an agent you feel good about. If you don't like 'em when you start..you sure won't like 'em when there is a problem.

30. 41CADDYWIDOW

41CADDYWIDOW

Docc,
    all true. I spend so much time shopping policies for clients to be sure we are getting the best rate for them each year. Just because a company is best for one person does not mean its best for the next.
    Linda