Register now to get rid of these ads!

Question on VW bus steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by banjorear, Dec 20, 2006.

1. banjorear

banjorear

Does anyone know if a VW box in a side steering set-up can be used with the pitman arm facing upward vs. hanging down like an F-1 box without being reversed?

Does anyone have a picture of a set-up with a VW bus box in use? Thanks.

2. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

I have my '62 box mounted with the pitman arm oriented upwards. You can clock these arms any way you want to. The best thing about these boxes is the number of ways they can be mounted. I don't have any pix right now but will take some if you want.

3. banjorear

banjorear

Thanks. I'd appreciate that. I sent you a PM.

4. Heres one I set up in the T

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Here's a '67 (and earlier) VW bus box and a photo of it mounted to a 2" wide tubular rail.

Be advised....it only has about two usable turns lock to lock.

Attached Files:

6. banjorear

banjorear

Johnny,

Looks great!

Anyone know how many turns a stock Ford is from stop to stop.

Tim

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Anyone have anymore photos of this vw box?
    I have a F1 box and a VW box for my model A chassis and they turn the opposite to each other so the VW will work with the arm up and I might need to use the VW one to clear my wishbone

8. choptruck

choptruck

I am using a 59 bus steering box on my Sedan. All I had to do was turn it upside down and it turns correctly. The factory bracket even fit on my frame! It steers very well, and turns tight. I also cut the original pitman arm off at the base and made a new arm from 1/4" steel and connected that to the 49 Ford rod end ball that I am using. It's a great looking box that works really well. I also used the column up to the dash then had to use a steering joint to another section. I'll try to get some photos for ya. Hope it helps.

Attached Files:

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Steers GREAT ??? with that draglink angle you got to have bump steer up the Wazoo !! And as short as the draglink is to the length of the split wishbone just makes it worse.

10. butch27

butch27

Damn!! Thats screwed up!

11. Clocking up 180 deg also changes the travel 180 , so it will be pushing instead of pulling . This is OK if your steering is designed to do that , otherwise your steering will be reversed .

12. That for sure! that box needs to be moved back and mounted lower!

UNSAFE NEVER LOOKS GOOD!

13. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

I am also running a bus box on my 31 coupe channelled the body 4" i have it close to the firewall mounted on the inside and bottom with the arm facing up with traditional steering push pull on drivers front wheel i dont have any close up pics maybe these help?[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

from the side[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

15. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

maybe you can zoom in?[​IMG][/url][/IMG]

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Now that's the right way!! Nice and level and near the radius rod pivot. Good Job!

17. My roadster has a VW Bus steering box. The pitman arm is mounted up, and it works fine. Been in the car a lot longer that I've owned it, and still not much slop. When I bought the car, I had no clue what the box was. Everyone had a guess, but the only guy who knew was Fabian Valdez of Vintage Hammer Garage.

18. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Hey... my shop trucks a VW bus, so here's what I've learned about em.

All the boxes are available reman, cost is a bit up there.

For 55-67 boxes the mounting bracket is still available from the after market guys which might save ya some time: 211-415-151AY 22 bucks (http://www.bus-boys.com/bb41556.htm)

Avoid the 68-72 boxes, as the oil seal isn't available for them, they drip. Some guys pack em full of grease like a GM. They were made by ZF, and none of the aftermarket/VW/ZF want to sell anything but a reman box. These boxes have about an 1/2 inch of free play when set perfect on the stock steering wheel (massive...) probably feel tighter on a smaller wheel.

The box you really want is from the 73-79 buses. The earlier ones are worm and peg... the 73-79s use a worm and roller, a lot heavier duty... and less sloppy. The old ones really shouldn't be steered while stopped, as the boxes aren't all that strong. They aren't gonna snap on ya, but they bind up and feel unhappy if ya really horse around parallel parking.
    The oil seals on the 73-79's are 1 1/8 X 1 1/2 X 1/4.

This is the box I'd buy if I didn't have one laying around, or couldn't find one in the junkyards: http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pr...26@Steering System&gid=7416@Steering Gear Box
    73-79 for 130 bucks, everybody else is gonna be 300+core.

Theres an adjusting screw on the top of the pre-73's for setting the freeplay. Sets the preload on the worm, a little bit more elaborate that the old GM recirculating balls. I'll see if I can scan it out of the shop manual. They also have a spot designed from the factory where they go tight so they want to keep a straight line... kind of a pain to find with the stock drag links and crap, but good to know its there. Gets rid of a lot of wander...

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had the 55/67 box on my T with it mounted below the frame. I had a friend splice Half of a Ford pitman arm to the VW arm. I cut the vw arm so it was --> and the cut the ford arm >-o the o being the eye in the arm. I used a drag link kit and steering arm from MAS. The drag link was level but not quite parallel to the split wishbones. It drove easy and my wife didn't have any trouble steering it when she sneeked it out of the garage.

20. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

Taildraggin,s photos were confusing me as to the position of the pitman arm, his was the only one pointing down all the rest point up. He cleared that up for me he is in the UK and his bus box is from a right hand drive VW!
    I think i need mine to stick up to clear my wishbone so the one I have should be ok
    A F1 box is on the left VW on the right
    [​IMG]