Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID this model A

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by momentumfoto, Jun 24, 2008.

1. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

What exactly is this model A? Sport Coupe? I think its a 28... is that right? Is it worth $14k... I hear its all OG and not restored. A friend wants to buy it and no you cant have the guys info... he wouldnt even give it to me haha.

Attached Files:

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

ahh it must be completely white..it blends into the back ground of the screen

3. heavy

heavy

uh what model A?

4. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

sorry thought it uploaded the first time...

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

with out really seeing it for my self..I would say..hes in the ball park..still hard to tell from those tiny pictures..

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

oh and its a 28 or 29

7. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

soooo you are saying it a sports coupe like I guessed? Click on the tiny pics to make em bigger haha

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think that's a Business Coupe. Very cool! Can't tell if it's 28 or 29 from the picture. I suspect a 28, but maybe someone knows better.

9. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

ahhh k... whats the diff between a Business coupe and a sport coupe?

10. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WAIT! I'm wrong. That IS a sport coupe. Sorry!

11. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sport coupe...

[​IMG]

Business coupe

[​IMG]

12. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

whats the difference?

13. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

ok I just saw your pix... haha thanks a lot everyone... you think its worth $14k?

14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The little window and possibly some other things. Never seen a Business Coupe in person...

15. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

Sport coupes had the landau bars and several colors available for the top, at least in 1928. The business coupe had black only with no bars. The oval windows were only available in later 1929 on the business coupes. I know not all of them had windows.

16. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes! What he said! I was trying to find an example without the window actually.

Is this thing a 28? I think the difference could be seen in the number of louvers on the hood and how far away from the top of the sides they were as well as the firewall (which we can't see). Was looking for fluted lenses as well, but that would only make it an early 28 if they were stock.

Door handles maybe??

17. momentumfoto

momentumfoto
    from Yes

well he is going to look at it soon... I just wanted to get him started on some info about it... thanks for all the tech

18. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Vin number will tell you 28-or 29..under 810,180 or so(give or take a few hundred but still would have to be over 810,ooo) 28 from 810 down..higher number 29.. very hard to tell from any picture the year because 28 and 29 were very very simular.

19. Hard to tell from the pics, but looks to have the "tuna can" tail light, which would make it a '28. If it's not full of paint, the build date is on the firewall, left side, just below the edge where the tank bolts are.
    Thought I knew Model A's, but the Business coupe is a new one on me. Learn somethin' new every day.

20. here's my opinion.....your pictures are crap

until you post better.....no , really good pictures and more info on the car no one can really give you an accurate value on the internet

hey....you asked , be prepared for the truth

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That looks like a nice little restored Sports coupe. I'd say it was worth the 14k as that is about the going price for a nice restored one. A Model A Club of America national show winner might be worth quite a bit more though.
    If he wants it as a solid restored car I'd say check it out and make sure it is as good as it looks in the photos an go for it. For converting to a rod I'd say leave it to the restorer boys and go find a nice project car to finish/redo.
    Yea I know that the gold chain Rolex rodders go out and by a nice restored car to build a rod out of but that doesn't make it the right thing to do.
    Now if he wanted to leave the body as is, hop up the banger and go that way I'd say head on.

22. The Wrong-Un

The Wrong-Un

The Sport Coupe was among the first 6 body styles and the Business Coupe came along 5 months later. Most notable external differences are that the Business Coupes came with a trunk, a non opening rear window and the top was covered with black artificial leather, whereas the Sport Coupe had a rumble seat as standard, the rear window opened and the top was tan whipcord with landau bars. The oval windows are a give away for the '29 Business Coupes and more roof color options were added for the '29 Sport Coupes. Trim levels differ as well with the Sport Coupe having a higher specification. Needless to say on a restored car all the above can be changed so retrospectively it's difficult to tell what car was started with, chances are most of the Business Coupes have been upgraded to Sport Coupes over the years.
    Personally, I prefer the look of the Business Coupe roof, it looks less fussy in my opinion, and I used a hybrid of both to get what I wanted on my car.

23. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

If he doesn't know As real well I would have someone who does check it over. I have seen quite a few of those shinied up turds that pretty much fell apart in about 100 miles. Just a decent engine rebuild will run several thousand dollars.

24. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man Im supprised no one here has nailed the year! It is a 29 Sport coupe. Easy to tell even from those pics.

25. JimSibley

JimSibley

1928 and 29 model as have a birthday stamped on the firewall. Drivers side bottem of the upper section.

26. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay... how do you tell it's a 29 from these pictures and not a 28??? Not doubting you, just wondering how you tell so I know. Thanks!

27. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

How do we know it's not a Cabriolet? The pics are not real clear...

...Look at the rear window...

28. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Cabriolets don't have door tops dot they??

29. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here's a '29 Cabriolet

[​IMG]
    No door tops. The door tops are part of the top and it has full windows.

this one is a '30, but same concept. (WHOOPS! It's also a 29! DOH!)
    [​IMG]

30. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

Sport coupes with just a slight chop have always looked so classy to me. Man, I would love to have one of those.