Register now to get rid of these ads!

How should I title/register my hot rod???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sc_sonoma, Jun 24, 2008.

1. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

I live in South Carolina and am about to register my rat. It is a 1929 REO body, but I dont have a VIN# or title/registration, anything.

1. In S.C. I can title it as a 'homemade vehicle'. However I am worried that they will try to hold it to 2008 safety standards, and that aint happenin.

2. Should I attempt to "obtain" a VIN/title/bill of sale from an unsalvagable vehicle and try to work it that way?

Which way would be easier? This is my first build, so I'm in the dark on what most of you guys do to get thru this issue.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated! I want to get this thing finished so I can drive it to the HEAVY REBEL WEEKENDER in North Carolina in a few weeks!!!

Thanks.
    Shane

2. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Sweet...... The R word..
    Dave :)

3. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Hmmm I'm slightly talking out my ass so verify to be safe but I think in SC they don't check the VIN (maybe just on old cars) so you can use the title to a similar vehicle even if they vins don't match.

I bought a car from SC and got a real surprise when I tried to register it and the #s didn't match! Some states that's not a problem, go figure.

No VIN at all though?!? Sure would be tough to prove you owned it if it was stolen or there was a dispute.

Hmmm you need better help than mine! Good luck, and hope you make it to the show!!

4. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

a hot rod will be easier to deal with in registration and such. rat rods suck. don't you want yourself and others to be safe and not assumed gay? if you're concerned about the safety, the authorities will be as well. do your self a favor and build a hot rod, they're safer and cooler. or go away, this isn't the place for rats...

i know here in utard it's actually pretty easy to deal with if you have only a bill of sale and a VIN on the vehicle. you just fill out 2 forms and have a cop fill out a 3rd that's a VIN verification and that's the end of that. they take the forms, the BOS and if everything is clear on the VIN then you walk out with a plate.

5. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

Well to the guy that offered help thanks. To the guy thats a dickhead. Screw you. My car is as safe as ANY hot rod out there. The frame was built by guys that have built racecars for years, the motor and tranny are fresh, and it has new brakes. I left the body raw and rough because I like it that way. If you think yours or ANY hot rod meets 2008 safety standards you are obviously retarded. That was my point in asking the damned question. Also in my question I stated that the body has no VIN#, so did you even read my question or just immediantely turn into douchebag mode and start typing?

Any more real assistance out there? I do appreciate it.

6. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

Get a bill of sale from someone in Georgia. Works great.

Jon

7. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

it helps to know the house you just entered too, before you started spewing.

Traditional Hot Rods are not called "rat rods" for a reason..check it out.

8. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

It leaves your options open that way.

jon

9. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

So a Georgia bill of sale will work and let me get it titled as the 29 REO, verses a "2008 Homemade vehicle"?

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

get some paper somewhere for it then go down and lie. They don't really care as long as it's not hot. Their just pushing paper. Don't tell anybody I told you.

11. rc.grimes

rc.grimes
    from Edmond, OK

VonRiggs comment is on point. You would have been better served by knowing where you were before the rant. The poster you directed your Spewage at offered you the helpful info you were asking for even though they(as do most of us) dislike the term "ratrods".

12. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

I apologize. And the poster I directed my spewage too did not offer help. He bit my head off unnecessarily. I'll use the term traditional from now on. I was unaware I couldn't call my car what I wanted in here.

Thanks Steel Rebel!

13. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Yer still missing the point.

you can call it anything you want..if it is indeed a "rat rod" than it dont belong here..again..read what this forum is about..it will really help you in the future. Dont walk into a mans house and start telling him what the rules are.

you got it right in your title..Hot Rod..if that is what you have..throw up some pictures..lets see it.

14. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

find a old registration as that used to be considered a pink slip

15. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

I'm not sure how to post pics yet, so I emailed you a few Von Rigg.
    Do you have any advice on the topic at hand? I actually bought the body from a dude in Dearborne. Would a B.O.S. from him suffice, being there is still not VIN# present?

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yes i have good advise..pm me.if your interested,.I'll tell you how i did it with the 28 thats my avitar.

17. heyjude076

heyjude076
    from NE Ohio

18. Every state is different. I know you are in a hurry. But the best way is to talk off line with hot rodders in your area and find out what has worked for them.

19. sc_sonoma

sc_sonoma

Thanks. I've got those forms printed and ready, should I have to go with the "homemade vehicle" route.

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

As far as the term "rat rod" goes...it has become much more derrogatory than I think those who originally used it meant, but most of the general public isn't aware of that. Traditional hot rodders hear the words "rat rod" and think

"clapped out shell, no structural integrity, bomber seats with no seat belts, home-built suicide front ends, steering linkage home-welded from old strut rods and pivot sockets, front end with no geometry, atrocious bumpsteer and death wobble, no floorpans, 300 hp motors with a 100 hp rearend and 50hp / 1000lb max capacity brakes that MAY work ONCE"...

it gets scary thinking that these rides are on the same roads that school busses are on, where old ladies are crossing the street, our wives are driving home from Johnnys soccer practice, and our kids are walking to the local public pool. I think as a community we would be better off asking new guys to clarify what their car really is...is it REALLY a rat rod? before we rip thier heads off. Arguing semantics on a discussion board makes about as much sense as arguing politics and religion. The knee jerkers here need to chill out a bit...I personally am getting sick of the FNG carnage.

21. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Yeah, it be WAY TOO MUCH TO ASK for a FNG to read the stickies and intro info or hang around a bit before opening their mouths. Or IMAGINE the horror of using that big "search" feature at the top of every page. How many "title" threads do you think there are here...500? 1000?

22. Buzznut

Buzznut

I just see this as hostility, not helpfullness...call me crazy.

23. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yer crazy..ive read some of your rants..

i say that in the most brotherly way....lol

24. Buzznut

Buzznut

Thanks Von Rigg...I needed that... I love you too bro - you flipping kook....

25. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

thats the nicest thing anyone has ever sid to me on here..thanks Buzz

26. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

well sc, you obviously missed the point and that i was indeed trying to be helpful. you can get vin tags for many older vehicles, find a title and get a tag to match and then put the numbers on it, but i wrongly assumed that you were intelligent enough to figure that out. using the search function might have helped you a bit on this one too. i know it's been done a thousand times before...i just didn't want to blatantly encourage something that's technically illegal like that.

as for your car, sounds to me like it's more of an unfinished hot rod than what you seem to want it to be. putting safe engineering effort into it makes it much more hot than rat. just chill the fuck out and realize what's actually going on...:rolleyes:

27. willowbilly3

willowbilly3
    Member Emeritus
    from Sturgis

Threads that discuss that term generally get locked down pretty fast here because it does stir people up. Unfortunately is has come to mean most any car with patina in general terms and not in any way related to the saftey of the vehicle. Well to a growing number of people.

28. dirty mikey

dirty mikey
    from chicago IL

buy a transferable title from someone and have a vin plate made and youre in business.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Cars just rough..not a rat rod..he just ment it lacks in the looks arena..hes good. and it isnt a shit box from what he told me.

slip of the tougue

30. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

Where the fuck is "germ" when you need him?????