Register now to get rid of these ads!

Pipefitters: A question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rocknrod, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Hey guys,

I'm building a tubular intake for a set of side drafts, but don't have a tubing bender or band saw. I'm making pie shaped cuts, and welding them together to make the curve.

Having a heck of a time making a straight cut that is perpendicular to the sides of the tube... Any tips/tricks for hacksawing/cutoff wheeling? Or methods to get them square with a angle grinder or bench grinder?

Tried laying the hacksaw blade up against the side of the vice and making the cut, but it digs in and drags. Filing the ends isn't yeilding much success...

First time I've tried building identical copies of anything... big difference between making one look good, and making two that fit right! (Grin)

Thanks!

2. i'm not a pipefitter , but i have worked with a few..... i believe they would use an elbo bend

how thick is your material? what angle bend? mandrel bends are available in tube sizes in 45 and 90 degrees ...and in pipe sizes in schedule 40 and 80 thickness 45 and 90 degree too

3. 59 brook

59 brook

hi you can use a miter box like you use to cut wood mouldings and a hacksaw if you clamp it down well you can cut a 90 or 45 or straight cut hope that helps. if you are having trouble making a straight mark take something like a small belt and wrap it around the pipe ,if you overlap it straight then you can scribe a straight line around the pipe

4. blown41

blown41

If there's a Home Depot or Harbor Freight nearby, you can pick up a small horizontal bandsaw for about $200. Mine is a Jet and it works surprisingly well for the price.

5. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

you need to make a wraparound for a good straight cut.

Take a piece of posterboard with a straight side on it, wrap it around the pipe until it overlaps itself, and there you have a straight 90 degree mark. If you have the pipe chunked up in a vise, wrap the posterboard around it where you want the cut and hold it steady and mark it all the way around with a sharpie, then pull the wrap off and follow the inside sharpie line- if you're just using a hand hacksaw, it's best to go really slow and score it all the way around the pipe along the line, keep going around in circles making a few strokes at a time then rotating the pipe. If you try and cut all the way through from one start you will ALWAYS fuck it up.
    hth

Jason,
    recovering welder/fitter

6. skipperman

skipperman

Well... If we're talkin' PIPE here ... use a plumbers METAL PIPE cutter ..... ABSOLUTLY SQUARE cut ...... they use them for gas pipe etc..... a COPPER pipe tubing cutter will work but 'ya have to get a cutting wheel for METAL pipe... for 45's .... as has been said... a MITER BOX .........

....... jersey Skip

7. Glen

Glen

are you working with any bends? I bought a bunch of J bends and donuts, cut them up and made exhaust with them.....here is a pic of that.

[​IMG]

8. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I was trying for one straight shot.

Ended up taking the first cut with the factory edge and measuring off with a set of dial calipers to 3in. Then filed it down and made a standard for the rest. Pain in the ass, but now they're all within ten thou...

I'll grab a miter box next time I'm at lowes. Neat trick with the belt/poster board.

I'm using conduit with a .060 wall. I think I'm going to make the plenum out of 16 gauge and just hammer it over a form... 'cause trying to cut the tube long ways hasn't been working either... grin. Takes forever after scoring it to the diameter I want, and grinding it square for the ends... Figure hammering will probably be easier/faster/more repeatable. We'll find out!

9. kustombypook

kustombypook

Post some pics of what yo have so far. There has been some good advise given, but with pics, some people may be able to tell you something different to try.

10. Ask Santa for a chop saw, or if you've been really good, a cold saw.

11. rdachsdog

rdachsdog
    from michigan

If you are just making straight across cuts, how about a worm type radiator hose clamp tightened around it and use it for a guide for your hacksaw if that's what you have to use.

12. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Here's what I've got so far, doesn't look like a whole lot... but i made the flanges too.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I split one piece of conduit long ways, scribed it to a set width and then ground the two pieces in half... thinking to weld two rectangular pieces in and make an oval. Way to much work... So on the third picture is after messing around with some 16 gauge and a hammer.

You guys ever casted polyester resin and chopped glass to make a hammer form? I'm wondering if it'd hold up to make one part, or if it'd crack. May give it a try tomorrow... I'll need another one of those if I end up going that route.

Thanks,

Zach

13. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Now thats a great idea. Wonder if with two, even this caveman could cut a straight line? (Grin)

14. Redneck Smooth

Redneck Smooth
    from Cincinnati

That method also works extremely well for shortening driveshafts...

15. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

If you are using cheap hacksaw blades (hecho en china or india) in a cheap saw handle, they wander a lot more than quality blades set in a heavy saw with plenty of tension. I can't believe how much straighter a good Nicholson blade will cut, and how much longer they last. They are actually cheaper, all considered.

Nice looking work, tho!

16. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

Looks like small o.d. tubing have you thought about a cardboard tube from the center of paper towel. Or similar item? You can also cut it on a miter for the same pattern everytime.

17. blt4speedsince79

blt4speedsince79

harbor freight has bandsaws for under 140

18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First of all, don't use conduit, as all pipefitter/welders (retired like me) will tell you, the breathing of galvanized fumes from welding will make you feel like having malaria(cold sweat,etc.) drink lots of milk before welding on galvanized projects. Instead of conduit use steel tube, after tack welding to the flange, turn over & weld tube around face of flange, later when cool, surface grind the flange for smooth finish. Like the other guys said about making a straight line around the tubing----Use a wrap around-- Sold at your local welding store. As far as the hacksaw goes, never drag the blade down on return stroke, let it glide back with no pressure, then apply the pressure on forward stroke SLIGHTLY & repeat.---When blade cuts 1/4 inch thru both sides of tubing using this repeated process, you will find it very easy to keep a nice straight line of hacksaw cutting!----Machine shop teacher taught me this in 1948 in hi school, & it works great on tubing OR solid steel plate,---Try it!!!!!-------------Don

19. freiertpc

freiertpc

i got kicked out of harbor freight for setting up a band saw plugging it in and cutting pipe with it right in the store i cut all 4 of 60* cuts out of 2x3 box tube
    for free

20. Rocknrod

Rocknrod
    from NC, USA

Thanks for the tips guys!

Yeah, I'm going to hook up a box fan to suck away the fumes. Welding flux core at the moment, as I'm about out of gas...

21. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

When I made my intake, I bent the first leg and had a friend with an exhaust shop bend the rest. They all match perfectly, and he enjoyed his beer!

22. Goztrider

Goztrider
    from Tulsa, OK

I wonder if you could grab a metal cutting blade to work in a tablesaw to cut straight lengthwise? I'm all about 'run what you brung/have' type of stuff, and I think back to when I was tiling a bathroom. Everyone said I had to get a tile saw ($100) to do the job right, but I tried a masonry blade for my skillsaw. Cuts were slower, and dusty as hell, but just as nice when I was done. I even peeled back the guard and cut a round hole for the shower control this way.

I would think that you could grab a blade, set it up in the saw, and then run the pipe against the fence to keep the line straight. You might need to tack a piece of flat plate to one side in order to lay it flat on the deck of the table. This would keep the pipe/tube from 'rolling' as you cut it, thereby keeping your cuts straight down one side.

Someone else could chime in here and tell me if I'm full of shit or this is a good/doable idea. Personally, when I get ready to build the bed for my Dubble A, I'll be trying this method, but I'll be using rectangular tubing.

23. blown41

blown41

If that round pipe grabs the blade it't gonna rip it right out of your hand and send it flying who knows where. My body parts aint worth much but they're worth the price of the "right tool for the job" to me.

24. HasonJinkle

HasonJinkle

HAHAHAHAHAAAA! Cheap bastard, that's some funny shit right there!

25. skidsteer

skidsteer

There is a N.E. PA HAMB'er pipefitter that has a ride with copper tubing for a grille, threaded pipe for headers, toilet paper hanger door handles, etc, etc, maybe he can help.