Register now to get rid of these ads!

just picked up a roadster

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by z32power.com, Jun 22, 2008.

1. z32power.com

z32power.com

Got this from Dave Smith out in Arcanum, OH about 6 hours away... love it so far...

I am seeing i may have some issues with PA though and not having fenders, wiper blades, seat belts, or mufflers... hahah... i may just register it in Florida as my parents have an address down there i could use.

anyone else running open fender with PA tags? or anyone have any experience registering out of state with FL?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

The fenderless part of your car is legal here in PA as long as you run Street Rod Tags.. no fenders ,,no bumpers,, no hood,, all legal.. Larry

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

I see the guard is picking up his whipin stick !! LOL

4. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

your dog is as big as your car LOL

5. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Cool car. What body and frame is it?

6. Is it a home-brewed body? Looks like they did a pretty good job.

7. z32power.com

z32power.com

yea, the body is hand built by dave smith... he told me he did some work for coddington and foose

the frame is a 40 mercury i believe...

I read that PA street rod tags are still subject to inspection, so does that mean i need wipers, mufflers, seat belts?

8. Moondog13

Moondog13

Never had a problem here in Florida. Definetly no problems if they happen to live in Miami! :D

9. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea
    BANNED

That has a lot of potential. are you changing anything?

10. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

Nice car but shouldn't that horse have a bridle on it?

11. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

i vote for flat black paint, mexican interior, red wheels and spider webs LOL, come on guys whos with me

12. Rick O'Shea

Rick O'Shea
    BANNED

no no, no...... bad H.A.M.B.er

13. Lazer5000

Lazer5000

I'd like a better shot of the front. Those head lights are tripping me out.

14. N312RB

N312RB
    from Burlington

those bright ass green rims are awesome! Paint it a liquid silver and drive the wheels off of it!

15. photoman

photoman
    from Texas

Is that a 351C?

16. fleetside66

fleetside66

I'm pretty sure you'll need windshield wipers & seatbelts, but I'm not sure about the mufflers...probably not.

17. ChuckleHead_Al

ChuckleHead_Al

Beautiful car, but I would put a 32 grill on it, chrome or paint the wheels black.
    Great buy... Have fun...

18. z32power.com

z32power.com

heres some more pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

as far as changes:
    1. i have thought about and do want to do a 32 grill...
    2. i want to strip the paint and rust off the headlight housings and make them look like bare steel like the body (i actually like the bare steel look). right now that look stops at the firewall, and i want it to continue through the front of the car...
    3. i want to put chevy power in the car, 350 or 454

the motor is a 460 out of a 70 lincoln mark

i want this car to be "different" i dont want it flat black like every other hotrod out there, i love the green wheels as well.

the only thing i dont like right now is PA's laws... like this thing is less safe than riding around on a motorcycle... i dont see bikes needing seat belts, mufflers, or wiper blades.

19. NYfatboy

NYfatboy

Leave it as is,and drive the piss out of it!

20. fallschirmjager george 2

fallschirmjager george 2
    BANNED
    from midwest

Bro nice roadster! I would drive it for a year that way, then make changes.
    But the Dog is a different story. I would get a saddle for it and ride that thing to work. Gas is high you know. :D
    Kewl roadster
    George

21. Nice car! You won't have to worry about seeing another like it. Neat job for using a "non-standard" foundation.
    Did PA say you need eletric wipers? Why not a removable clip-on hand operated piece?

22. tjm73

tjm73

It needs a 500 inch Caddy.

23. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

It needs...

To be driven, the summer just started. You start fussing with shit now and before you know it the winter's here, the car's half apart and you didn't get to drive it anywhere. Wait till November to change anything.

24. rustyford40

rustyford40
    from Mass Bay

A sbc just like everyone puts in.

25. in2hotrods

in2hotrods

Cool ride, keep the grille and headlights as it is. Maybe find a radiator that fits a little better. Looks like your front suspension arms could interfere with the rear-most exhaust pipes. Something to look at later but maybe it's just the perspective of the pictures. Overall, that thing is bitchin' as is...except the seat.

The seat looks like it belongs in a mini truck from the early 90's. Maybe wrap it in some burlap feed or potato sacks...then your car would look evil and you'd always look pissed because the burlap is chafing your ass. That could get you through your inspections as they might be scared to F**k with you! :)

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Harley aftermarket manufactures make a lot of different style motocycle baffles that might be "considered" as mufflers. In the 70's most of the guys running zoomies ran VW baffles. From looking at some of the photos I think you could make your own and slip them in the pipes to get past inspection.
    Example here= http://www.cycleshopusa.com/products.asp?nm=2218

I'd keep the 460 and clean it up and put some older style cast valve covers on it. Unless it is junk that is but if it runs good why change for the sake of change.

57 Pontiac lime fire green would look good with those wheels and would be pretty traditional as far as paint goes.

Some cycle fenders made out of (or styled like) Ford spare tire covers would look proper if you can't get past the fender deal.

Wiper, Yep the clamp on, the only time it will most likely get driven in the rain is if you get caught out in the rain anyhow.

That seat looks like it wouldn't be comfortable for any distances. Some how it doesn't fit the car very well either.

Seat belts, Put some in. It isn't that hard.

The biggest change that I would do is something with the tail lights. It looks like they are just stuck on the sides of the body from what I can see in the photo. 59 Cad Bullets are some of my favorites but those just seem to be scabbed on the car as an afterthought. A better photo might change my mind though.
    I'd drive the wheels off it this summer and then figure out what changes to make when it gets too nasty out to drive it.

27. roddinron

roddinron

Beautiful body, you definitely have to do something about the grill/rad area though (but please not another 32 grill).
    Love the Dane, I'm sittin here now with 5 of those layin all around me! State dog of Pa btw.

28. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

z32 I love this car. The windshield is killer!
    IMO, your plans are dead on. But like someone else said, drive the crap out of it this summer and make the changes you want in the winter. God knows winters are long enough!

29. z32power.com

z32power.com

plans are to drive it for now, definitelly wouldn't take on any of the big changes til winter.

and if/when i go to a 350/454 chevy would not be anything normal... im a "turbo fanatic" so it would be something really different. ie twin turbos

30. It's bad ass. I can see it now at next yrs. Jalopy Showdown, mud flyin' broadslidin' w/ the crowd cheering you on!.....Don.