Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motor Mounts- Constructive Criticism

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harkins, Feb 1, 2007.

1. I finished making my motor mounts for fitting a ford 300 into my 47 1/2 ton. This is the first time I've worked with metal so go easy on me. I just wanted to see what some of the experienced guys think.

Attached Files:

2. john56h

john56h

That's about exactly how I would have done it...nice job.

3. Gator

Gator

I think they'd look better if you clean the 'excess' metal off. Shouldn't affect the strength and would be easy to do. Here's a photoshop.

Attached Files:

4. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

I wish my first set of motor mounts looked that good.

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Nice work.

Now a couple of questions.

Are you running fenders?

If not those plates bolted to the frame might be distracting look wise. Maybe weld in boxing plates and have the mount be part of the boxing plate.

If you are running fenders it should hide it.

6. I'm not running fenders. I made them bolt on just as a precaution in case I screwed them up. I wanted to make sure I could take the motor out and put it back in without any trouble. I already boxed in the frame where the mounts are bolted so I might end up welding the angle iron onto the frame/box.

7. good looking job. planning ahead is a real good practice.
    jim:)

8. They look good to me and when you paint everything the same color they will not be as noticable.

9. Just a suggestion, get everything else done, drive it a little while, and if it works well, mount them permanently, then you can make them a little prettier.

10. ...nice work and it's nice to see a 300 goin in that truck! Keep us posted on progress.

11. Looks to me like they'll work real well.

Unless they are there to stay right now I would round all the edges its cosmetic to a point but I just don't like sharp edges.:D

12. manacoem

manacoem

Nice job!! Glad to see others using an angle over the top of the frame for extra load off the boxing plate. I've seen dozens of cars at the NATS with cracks developing near the engine mounts. I know it looks cool when the welds are ground down, but unless there is adequate penetration as in a corner weld, then the weld should at least be left alone... another thing I like to do is , whenever there is an opportunity to let a bolt go completely through the frame with a anti crush bushing between the boxing plate and the outside frame wall, especially when hanging motor mounts and steering boxes.. just my 2 cents FWIW. good job keep it up!!
    later! (manacoem)

13. Eventually I will improve the cosmetics of them as you guys suggested. This is just the rough set up. I like that idea of having a bolt go all the way through the frame. Thanks for the input everyone!

14. bump for more input

15. buschandbusch

buschandbusch
    from Reno, NV

that's pretty much exactly how we plan to mount our 460. Using the angle to weld to, and be able to remove if the motor changes. The angle you chose is good cause it can support more load like that, versus had you just done it straight. Perhaps we'd have made the angle even smaller, but the way you have it distributes the wieght on the frame rails better. Looks good

16. One official HAMB metallurgist approval vote!

Good job, seems you thought it out well, and the design appears to be more than strong enough. I like the angle piece to spread the forces over a bigger area and also overlapping the top of the frame rail.

One question or comment, next time you could eliminate the middle piece. Just fab your mounts to bolt directly onto the factory rubber mount. The way you have it now the middle piece is redundant and just extra material that is not really adding anything, at least that I can tell from your pics.

17. I was initially going to use a 1/2 I Beam to bolt the arms to the stock mounts, but thought that these looked a little better and it gives me a little room for error since they can pivot. I sat there for a whole night staring at it trying to figure out how to attach the arms to the stock mounts and that's what I cam up with.

18. You miss what I am saying, the middle piece is not needed at all. Not as you said, to use something different (the I-beam piece). My suggestion is to bolt the rubber mount directly to your frame stands. No middle piece is needed at all. The way your design is now, the rubber mount is bolted to the clamshell-like thing, which is then bolted to the frame stand. The clamshell piece does not add anything and you could make the whole thing a 2-piece vs a 3-piece design. Now with all that discussion, there is nothing in your design that will not work just fine. It is plenty acceptable, you just asked for any design critique and that is all my comment is supposed to represent.

19. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

If you like'm that's what counts! piss on us...............but I like'm

20. Those fuckin weld are awesome!!!!!!!!!!! Plus boxing in that frame was a great idea.

21. After some design changes I decided to switch to a suicide front axle, which meant the motor have to be shifted back. I tried to make the motor mounts a little more aesthetically pleasing. They're not the prettiest looking mounts out there but I think they'll do the job. What do you think?

Attached Files:

22. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Actually, I like the other ones better. These seem too bulky and boxy.

23. kustombypook

kustombypook

Looks like you have done this before. Nice job.

24. Habman

Habman
    from Fenton, MI

I'd have built then out of 2X4 tube, but hell if they work then they are great.

25. Yeah these did come out a lot more Boxy than I had planned. I just thought the first ones were made up of too much stuff.

26. I chooze to remain silent.I almost got kicked out of the clubhouse for telling a dude I liked his extended cab elcamino yesterday. If you like em run em>>>>.

27. send_it_all

send_it_all

You're not going to win any artistic achievement awards, but they will work. The welds look strong enough.

28. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Trying to be constructive and not critical, the things that catch my eye are...The angle iron is wider than the frame. The notch for the VIN#? grabs my eye. The washer over hanging the bracket. The straight cuts tell me that you only have a hack saw. Some graceful curves and rounded corners go a long way in making them look professional. Rounding the edges with a grinder like the factory angle iron edge is a huge improvement. It's all cosmetics but it matters.:D They look plenty strong.

29. haha those were the first motor mounts I made over a year ago. If you scroll down the thread I posted pics of the ones I just finished last night.

30. Hey Harkins,
    I think you did great. Looks as if you did the needed part first, planning it out. I also like the idea of using the 6 banger, Cool.

Cooter