Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sports Car Bodied Drag Cars.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by metalshapes, Jun 20, 2007.

1. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

That looks like the white Triumph coupe I saw in 82 cruising Van Nuys. He got a tiket for doing a wheele. It had BBC -10'' and 4'' crager SS's at the time.
    Thats gotta be the same car.
    One of the coolest fuckin things Iv ever sean.
    After that I put a axle in my GTO so I could do the same.

2. Tinman

Tinman
    from Orange, CA

Thanks Metalshapes!
    This car has been making smoke come out of my ears trying to figure out what it was...
    ...sheesh. And I call myself a car dork!

3. i almost bought a cheetah body at iola
    a little bit too much flow though
    tk

4. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

All:

Total noob here, but lurked for some time. As the owner of an E-type coupe, the Snoopy Funny Car was one of my faves then and now. I was just a kid when I first saw it (actually from the little pics we used to buy from the drags), but know a little about it.

It was built by a man named Sheldon Konblatt, who owned a California speed shop (name escapes me) - it only made a few runs from what I could find as it really wasn't as aerodynamic as first thought (I recall reading it was twitchy at the top end).

I have some pics of it somewhere, but looks like many have posted what I have (other than the little pic I bought in the 70s).

Cool stuff!

5. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Found this on we diditforlove.com

Attached Files:

6. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

King,

Yea, that's the pic I have too...I don't recall exactly when I got it, but I know my pops bought it when we were at the drags together over 30 years ago...it had to be pre-1975 because he still owned his Austin-Healey, and he would tell me how much he screwed up that he didn't buy an E-type.

Totally cool car, and with Nostalgia Funnies getting more popular, I'd love to know where this thing ended up....

7. rdefabri

rdefabri
    from NJ

Actually, as I thought about it more (and as owner of an E-type coupe), this would be fairly easy to replicate. The Jag is a monocoque with a bolt on front-clip. You could tub/radius the rear wheel wells, gut the interior, build a cage and then create an elongated front clip. V8 conversions for Jags are common, although you wouldn't get the engine setback like Konblatt did on a full on frame.

A Jag "gasser" with a blown hemi might be cool, no? With all the rotted / crusty old Jag coupes out there, might be a neat idea...

8. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Just found this one.

Attached Files:

9. greg konblett

greg konblett

My name is gregory konblett.My dad founded ServiceCenter. and drove SNOOPY,PEANUTS,AND CHICKEN LITTLE....my [email protected]

10. storm king

storm king

Tellya what, somebody get me a Kellison body, and I'll pull fresh tooling: give a brand new one to the guy who loans me his; in all carbon fiber, and a piece of the action on any future sales.

11. Iron-Iceberg

Iron-Iceberg

12. blackout

blackout

Just another Kellison start.

Attached Files:

13. brandon

brandon

the hardcastle car... from what i read , this must have been one fast sob..... brandon:D

14. blackout

blackout

The scalloped blue coupe in Groucho's photo is an X-300 GT, same body as in my post. Behind and to the left of the X-300 GT is a black Kellison J-5 that has been extensively re-built. The J-5 has a custom frame and Corvette C-4 suspension.

15. 41woodie

41woodie

Back in the early to mid 60's a Purple metalflake Cobra used to run pretty often at Tulsa Int'l. Strange part was is was a hardtop but not a Cobra coupe, it was more like a clip-on top like the early vettes used. Somewhere maybe I have a picture of it. Ran strong

16. That's a generous offer...IF someone is going to make a new tool for a Kellison body I hope that you/they consider refining two things that has always irked me about the Kellison Astra's design. The first is the lack of bubble in the windshield. One of the cardinal 'rules' of car body design is that in plan view, the wrap or bubble of the windshield should always be greater than the wrap of the nose of the car, again in plan view. The Kellison Astra has a nearly flat windshield which IMHO is incongruous with the beautiful swoopy lines of the rest of the body's design. There are some successful car designs that break this rule (1990's mid-engined Ferraris come to mind) but if we gave the Kellison Astra the proper amount of bubble to the windshield, I think it would look so much better.
    I am also under the impression that the glass in the Kellison would be a bit hard to come by today as well, so if someone was to make a new tool for the body, perhaps they can account for a more easily acquired windshield, perhaps 2nd generation Camaro or maybe from a C-4, or C-5 Corvette ?

The other part of the design that has always irked me is the nearly vertical greenhouse, the side windows, sail panels etc. Again considering the rest of the body's beautiful swoopy shapes, the nearly total lack of tumblehome in the greenhouse area just doesn't look 'right'...I understand that when the car was originally designed, they used what glass was available at the time or easy to acquire, but if someone is going to make a new tool, I hope they will consider my suggestions...or not. Here's a quick Photochop that I hope illustrates my points.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If we're all willing to chop and channel virgin steel, then modifying a fiberglass design shouldn't seem like that big of a deal...

All the best-W.S.

17. I saw "Snoopy" run at Irwindale once. It was painted titty pink, and owned by Sheldon Konblat. I don't remember much these days, but a name like that sticks.

18. Both of Sam Parriott "City of Industry"specials were Kurtis Kraft sports cars. The first one was blown cad powered. The second was powered by a blown 427 Ford built by Ford ace Bonnis Herd. When Sam passed there was a huge hassle with the City of Industry. Seems that when Sam was the Mayor, city funds were appropriated to build the race cars in the name of promoting the newly formed city. Sam's son, Buddy lost the cars, and they were sold to repay the city. Both are in the NHRA Museum now.

19. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did anyone mention Baldwyn Motions Drag Cobra?
    Took a Ford fot them to build there fastest car from!!!!

20. If that Kellison isn't Roger Hardcastle's, it's a dead nuts twin. Just about the time AFX was morphing into floppers, Roger teamed with Pat Aikins, and they put one of Pat's killer fuel hemis in the car. No trans, just a slider clutch. Nobody would get in it. Then they found Gary Southern. Even in the 60's Gary was considered "out there". They brought the car to the Winternats in about 65 or 66. When Gary made the first pass at over 200 the NHRA came unglued. No way was that thing going to run in AFX, or any other calss but top fuel. Old Southern said sure, why not. Damn thing went a couple of rounds. God Drag racing used to be cool!!

21. fergenboysinc

fergenboysinc

22. The white one is the car Ronnie Benham and Leonard Carr won lakes high point champion with in 99. This pic is after Ronnie sold it. Ran 237 at El Mirage.

23. Dirty2

Dirty2

These were at BG .

Attached Files:

24. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

I love these things. This is a great thread!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. slick64

slick64
    from Mobile, AL

26. rosenoble

rosenoble

27. rosenoble

rosenoble

28. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Just noticed in one of the pics of the Fiberglass Trends Cheetah....that it appears to be runnin' a BB Chrysler wedge....DAMN that's cool....

29. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Yes! My favorite is the Cobra Dragon Snake.....a sports car bodied drag car from the factory.

Mike

Attached Files: