Register now to get rid of these ads!

Went down 4 some Tijuana tuck and roll and was robbed!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deville1904, Jun 13, 2008.

1. Chad s

Chad s

Sure they can, you can get better interior work in the states, for quite a bit more money. For my 47 business coupe, the average estimate is around $5000, not including the trunk. But thats for a perfect job, no exposed screw heads holding down panels, arrow straight stitching/pleats, no wrinkles, all new materials, etc.

And guess what, to get a perfect job, and keep my money within the US economy, I'll gladly pay it.

2. lewislynn

lewislynn

Having cars upholstered in TJ is far from new. My brother in law had his 40 Ford Convertible done down there in the late 50's. Many of my friends had their cars done button and tuck, tuck and roll, whatever, down there in the 60's too. I can only guess where the rumors come from.

Let's face reality here. Those upholstery businesses in TJ depend on American customers. Even they know a business can't survive bad PR like using donkey shit for filler etc.

3. WHAT IT IZ

WHAT IT IZ

I agree with muttley. And if anyone dosent like it then dont go. The economy is pretty fucked right now and shits getting worst. This might be the only way for some people. Thats were ill be when im ready for interior. Thanks for the help on helping me save some money. Now ill have some extra cash for chrome plating.

4. Deville1904

Deville1904

Thinking about it logically. Tijuana isnt even Mexico. Its Baja California. Now where my parents are from. Thats Mexico. Sonora Mexico. I see nothing wrong with going down there and spending the little money that I have on quality work. You saw the pictures. In fact. Ill take some more. The phenomenal job they did on the dash is worth the 900 bucks alone. Its unfair to be criticized for something people have been doing for over half a century now. Hell even my dad used to take cars down there for paint/body work and upholstery in the 60's and 70's. All for the same reasons. Sometimes you just cant afford to keep it in good old U.S.A. I know I tried. Futile attempt but at least I went around and got some quotes.

So in closing...

Whos next =)?

5. 133

do you have any pics of the whole car? some of my fellow mexican coworkers have told me some things about TJ since i've never been there but i guess they were just fuckin with me.

6. jesus valencia

jesus valencia
    from pomona

Dang $900 for full interior, 200 for gas,100 for a passport, 70 for an Adelita's whore and 1 dollar for condom. Way cheaper than here!

7. Drive Em

Drive Em

The $900.00 price can probably be beat in Juarez, Mexico, which is right across the border from me. The only problem is that there is a drug war going on where 500 people have been killed in a few months time. Alot of the killed were top ranking police officials, some of them by decapitation!!!!!. Machine gun fire is now the norm over there, not the exception. No one wants to risk going over there if they don't have to.

8. Zombilly

Zombilly

Haha yup my grams went down there once with all of her kids and didn't get out till midnight. She said the shop just kept taking in more and more work, and they just kept waiting and waiting.

9. Zombilly

Zombilly

I wish someone would steal all of my old interior like that!

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

hey they soon will have the same economy that we have, and it will be MORE expensive there!

11. Mad~Max

Mad~Max

Most states require you to pay sales tax on imported items, or things bought through mail-order. It's a declaration on your state tax form, that you have declared all purchases under the penalty of perjury. Better send them $100 too. Keep the Terminator in booze and cigars...

12. Badazz, I've been quoted like $5K and more for the same work. :(

13. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  14. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Man they did a hell of a good job.Ive been looking for some good places on the frontera over here in tejas.And for the price I would'nt hesitate to take it down there you can't beat it.Times are tough and if you can save a few bucks by doing that so be it.More money for something else plus look at the work the quality speaks for itself.

15. 64sled

64sled

Thats some bitchin work, i remember my dad always taking his car down there for body and fender work. Most of the time after my mom running into shit.

16. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

it came out pretty tight!!
    my uncle takes his cars down there to get done. next time you need to do a little article like they do in the mags at the shop over here

17. vertible59

vertible59

hey MM, Gary Childress at auto top and trim in Reidsville, NC USA will hook you up with some awsome stitching.

18. Looks great - can't beat the price. I think I saw it at Ink-N-Iron.

19. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

It's good work, although I've seen and heard horror stories about how long some of the work lasts... And for the price, it may well be worth the risk...

But I think it's important to remember that it is in fact a risk and you shouldn't head down there without a clear idea of what you're doing.

I have personal stories about TJ when I lived in SD and my wife basically grew up on a family ranch in Rosarito... Things have changed down there and you really do need to know what you're doing when you go down there... Fluent Spanish is probably a requirement... To start.

20. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

No COWshit? You can't rely on anybody these days. Whatever happened to the oldtimers that really knew how to hose the rubes from north of the border. Any chance the Tijuana Better Business Bureau will step in and give these no-good lowdown lying cheating scumsucking foam packers a good scolding?

dj

21. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

the TJ better business bureau is the same guy that gives ya a tiicket for $80 and negotiates down from there for cash to save a trip to the cop shop

22. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

they work on weekends, in San Diego! ggggg

23. hotrodsneverdie

hotrodsneverdie

Interior looks awsome. Wish i lived closer to the border. Technically i do, but its the wrong border! canada:(

24. V4F

V4F
    from middle ca.

i know its not funny , but ... we learned way back in the '50s , never leave your car while they are working on it ! they used to , if not watching , use cheap cotton thread (good for a short time) & stuff the tuck/roll with horse & cow poop . not good it the summer . im sorry , but buyer be ware . they have had years of practice !! ... steve

25. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

You nailed it right on. That's a god damned nice upholstery job for $900.

26. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

steve i got my tuck n roll from Tj with deville1904,and it was amazing,awesome job and i dont have seats full of drugs,cow shit or horse shit the stiching is top quality,the seats were left there and devilles caddy was left there while we went to the movies,we came back and the car was still there.The shop we go to is well know,its been in the same location .doing this work since 1965.I trust them with all my interior.I think you need to scope out the shop and its occupants before you trust them with your ride,i have been ripped off many times here in the states with shitty workmanship,its not just south of the border.I will post pics so people can see what i am talking about.

27. Ice man

Ice man

I went to Juniors in Venice, Florida for my 29 Roadster top. He wanted the car for 2 days and $2000.00 to install my top, still in the box from LeBaron Bonney. Went home and did it my self with my Bro inlaw helpen in 3hrs. Makes Mexico sound real good. Iceman

28. socalmerc

socalmerc
    from socal

i hear you brotha, i got some prices on my buick and just ended up buying some books and a machine and did it my self. sorry for hijacking just wanted to show what i did to afford a upholstery job since i quit going to TJ, got busted by the police burning a twisted one on rosa rita beach. cost me a $100 bill to get cut loose.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

29. Bryan

Bryan

the thing i always wondered about the cow shit/ dog shit stories.....Who would actually go through the trouble of stuffing shit into the interior. Sounds like a dirty, disgusting thankless job. Messy, i'd imagine, too.

On top of that, do these guys just have piles of shit lying around the shop, waiting for the next gullible gringo that comes along? Or do they send someone down to the corner cow/dog shit store when the next rube show up?

30. KreaturesCCaustin

KreaturesCCaustin
    from Austin, TX

Looks great, man.....but it's kind of funny. The HAMB is a fickle place. "Don't go to Harbor Freight. It's all imported". "Don't buy so-and-so parts. They're imported". This is exactly the same thing. Everyone bitches about "Uh-Merricun Jobs" being sent across the border or overseas, but it's ok, as long as it's saving you money. I don't blame you for getting a good deal, but how does that affect the AMERICAN upholsterers? There are plenty of mom and pop joints doing good work here. And they're not using the money to smuggle their "primo hermano" into Texas or California. They're spending the money right there in your community and keeping your town's economy strong. Sorry to jump on a soap box, but like I said....the HAMB can be a fickle place.