Register now to get rid of these ads!

cheapest abrasive for sandblasting?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kwmpa, Jun 17, 2008.

1. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

whats the cheapest sand to buy for sandblasing...i bought the 80-grit stuff and after spending $22 to do about a 3 foot section of frame rail i need something a little cheaper....what are you guys using

2. jimmyv

jimmyv

I would not use sand. It's pretty bad for you to breathe it in.

3. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

yeah i was using 80-grit red garnet...too expensive Im trying to figure out the cheapest most effective way to go

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

When I was in So Cal I'd go to the beach...... sometimes I'd find a quarter too

Warning park sandboxes can be full a cat poop! The smell like your neighbor never leaves

5. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

meda..you want meda..like glass, slag, soda, let them know what equipment you have and what your doing, they will be able to stear you right..are you using a breathing aparatus? if not i suggest you get one..fresh air breathing aparatus and a hood..dieing of silicosis sucks ass..litterally..once you learn meda blasting you may be doing more..prepair your self to do it right..or hire the job out.

6. hotrodjohnny77

hotrodjohnny77

For heavier rust, you will find finer grit sand does a much more economical and overall nicer job at about $7.00 bag. It goes against normal theory, but it works.

Jon

7. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Tractor Supply Black Diamond.

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

aluminum oxide works great and is re-useable if you can sift it and clean it up before putting it back in your blasting pot.
    no matter what you use , be sure to care about your lungs..because if you dont..they will not care about you when your gaging on your last breath. get a hood, and proper resperation equipment.

black beauty is slag..it works good too

9. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

well i have a hood...not freah air mask...i just have a 50lb blaster all i could really afford at the time...where i used to go to school we were formally trianed in blasing...we had several blast booths for plastic media and regular sandblasting...I dont plan on using regular sand because of health risks..

10. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Just bought some copper slag (black diamond,etc.)from Kleen Blast....100lb bag for $11. Various grits are avail...
    Works good in cabinets, as it stays sharp, not too dusty, and environmently freindly.

11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

smart move on the non use of sand..if you dont have clean air mask..go buy a 3M canister resperator..your lungs will thank you for it..even though you are not doing much now..you will..once you see how good a job it does on stuff you will find alot of useses for media blasting

12. Habman

Habman
    from Fenton, MI

All media has health risks, so buy a good particulate resperator and some sand.

White silica sand is the cheapest if your working in the open air.

You can get it at home centers for a $3-4 a bag.

Aluminum Oxide, Black Diamond, and the others are great in the blasting booth, but expensive if your working in the open and can't recover it.

13. Nick79

Nick79
    from Austin, TX

I've used kid's play sand from the home improvement stores. Really cheap. I sweep it up and sift it back in for reuse.

14. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Bluto shoots...................he scores:eek::D Beach sand. I get it for $15 a 55gal barrel.:cool::)

Frank

15. Just for reference...I know someone here locally that would probably blast that entire frame for not much more than $100.

You should probably be using at least 30/60, possibly 20/40 grit Black Beauty on a frame. But if you can't capture the stuff and reuse it- I'd just take it to someone.

16. mailwagonman

mailwagonman

I use play sand in my pressurized blaster, but I screen it first. I have a huge funnel with a filter screen in it.. It catches the stones that are to large to go thru my valves. I sweep the stuff up and filter it again and reuse it.

JR

17. jetmek

jetmek

fine black beauty about 13$ per 100 lb bag. i spread a big ol tarp on the ground to help recover most of it and keep the mess off the yard.

18. HOT ROD DAVE

HOT ROD DAVE

local parts store here in ypsi sells me media blast material for $4.00 for a 80lb bag which isnt bad for being my cost

19. jetmek

jetmek

dang! thats cheap!

20. Pothole 31A

Pothole 31A

Black Beauty/Black Diamond works great its what bridge painters use to blast an overpass

21. gas pumper

gas pumper

Play sand from the Depot. filter thru window screen, I don't bother to sweep and reuse, just leave it in the gravel driveway. makes gravel like QP.

I tried the beach sand, used to haul it back from the shore in 5 gal pails. But the salt content in it made rust flash on the parts.
    and then I was told it was frowned upon by the town (Wildwood) to remove the sand. Like they're gonna run out of sand?

Frank

22. diggers4life

diggers4life

Around here, I can go to the local gravel pits and they will give me all the sand I want. Couple weeks ago, I went and got sand for my boy's sandbox. There was around 6000# of it and they didn't charge me anything. They even used their big loader to fill my trailer. It would've been about the right consistancy to blast a frame with.

23. Flatbush

Flatbush

Any experience with soda blasting?

24. kwmpa

kwmpa
    Member Emeritus
    from Pa

ive done a little just to remove some primer off a 37 convt. the guy who came to do it let my try it out...it works really well actually...i was pretty impressed

25. Habman

Habman
    from Fenton, MI

I've seen it done, and have a buddy out in NY that is in the business. Very cool but different equipment is needed, so you can't just through baking soda in your blaster. Eastwood does have a kit to convert your sand blaster for around $150.

The really cool thing is dry ice blasting, which I have been looking into lately, only thing left over is the crap you blasted off. It is safe on just about all surfaces including paper! But you are looking at about $10K to even buy one, so it's not going to be a home garage machine anytime in the next couple of years.

26. upzndownz

upzndownz

BEACH SAND?? my brother in law did it as a cheap way out and saved probally a $100 on his 58chevy of course he found out less than a year later that the sand from the ocean beach was loaded with salt and within 2years the car was rusted to nothing

YEAH USE BEACH SAND

27. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

You ever seen what cat poop does to the paint applied over it?

Gimma break everything rusts in FLA Look at them Ol' Folks

28. damnfingers

damnfingers

Ditto...blast in the driveway, sweep it up, sift it, re-use it. Over and over and over...replenish as necessary.