Register now to get rid of these ads!

41 Ford 9N pickup questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mr.e, Jun 12, 2008.

1. mr.e

mr.e
    from Albany NY

Hi - I recently found a 41 Ford pickup with a 9N 4 cyl motor in it. I understand this is rare, but how rare? - I hear they only made "about 400" of these - can anyone verify this figure? How does the rarity effect value? What are the differences body/trim-wise between the 40 and the 41? I appreciate your time.

2. manicmechanic

manicmechanic

I am not sure if that is possible??? All N series tractors have no fuel pump place on the block. The carburetors are gravity feed like a model A. Don't know how that would work.

3. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

The phone company here may have had 400 by themselves. They are still being found now and then.

The grille is a bit different, and the hood trim is different, otherwise pretty much the same as a 40.

My first truck was a 4 cylinder 41 Ford pickup,

4. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I don't know if it's a 9N but they did install 4 bangers in the pickups.
    The trim on a 41 hood is wide on the nose and the 40 is narrow. Also the tail gate script is different. I don't know if the center of the dash changed in 41 but it did by 42 and the gas tank was moved to under the seat in 1 or 2.
    Mike

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've got the 4 overhaul manual here...engine used for illustrations seems to be tractor version with cast pan, but one pic shows what seems to be a flange for the fuel pump (cast closed on this unit) near front of block on right, about where tractor governor sits. I believe except for pump and pan, engines are pure tractor, down to the lawnmower sized carb. I'd bet that most of the truck 4's have joined the pool of block cores for tractors, and most surviving trucks now have eights...

6. Offy

Offy

The early 9N tractors and the 39-41 pickups used the same steering wheels. Now there's an important piece of trivia!

7. Abomination

Abomination

My grandpa told me years ago about this. About the time the war started they pretty much had only tractor motors left, and put 'em into a BUNCH of pickups.

~Jason

8. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The four cylinder may be rare but also sounds like not much fun to drive. Unless you are going to put it in a museum, I would be more interested in one with the V-8.

As I have been told many times, rare does not make it worth more. Some times there is a good reason they are rare.

Neal

9. Tuff Tin

Tuff Tin

I was looking for one of these for a long time as they are very rare but I gave up the search. The story is that the farmers liked the Model A's and B 4 bangers so well that they wanted the 4 banger in their pickup. Now step forward to today and look at a forty Ford pickup with and OHV conversion on the Banger! Works for me!

Just in case you wonder, I drive a 28 Model A tudor powered by a Chevy II 4 banger.
    Mike

10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I seen one in a junkyard many years ago and thought it looked strange but later I read that they did come with them,went back a few years later and the truck was gone. Jeff