Register now to get rid of these ads!

241 Hemi Camshaft Problem

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1/4 Chub, May 30, 2008.

1. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

I am building a 241 hemi which I have had the camshaft reground although, I did not have the snout modification done. On the front of the camshaft mounts what I believe is a fuel pump eccentric, on stock motors.

If I do not have the fuel pump eccentric or would not like to use it, if I did have it, is there an way to get around this problem without having the snout of the cam altered?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Andy

Andy

It has been a long time since I had mine apart. I believe the excentric may have the keyway in it and it then drives the cam gear with a dowel pin?? I think you may need to get the excentric. I am probably wrong as it was aways back.

3. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

1/4 Chub..Go to Hemi Hot Heads forum and ask that question..They will help..I built my Hemi with there help..
    Duane.

4. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

Thank you the the advice. Anyone else run across this problem.

5. You will need the eccentric If you are using the stock cam gear. It has a dowl pin to locate the cam gear. The reason for modifying the cam snout is to be able to use later timing chain and gear sets and by modifying the front cover you can then adapt a chevy water pump....

6. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

On my 241 I went with a elec fuel pump after a couple of original pumps failed. I'm not sure what you had in mind but as said most cams that were Mod is because of the chevy water pump. I bought a Hot Heads kits to do that and didn't know the cam had to be cut and timing cover welded. I went with a stock waterpump and has beeen working great for us. Did you plan on the chevy waterpump? I know a few guy go that route for space.

7. 73RR

73RR

For any of the 'long nose' cams, you will either need the OEM pieces or a properly modified cam and sprocket......unless, of course, you have a machine shop available to make something to replace the OEM stuff.....

8. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

I was planning on running a electric fuel pump and electric water pump each would be out of site. I guess I did not do my research before hand. I have a new timing gear set that is mounted I just need a spacer (fuel pump eccentric) to fill the space and the bolt.
    Does anyone have pictures of the modified cam snout? Can this be done at a machine shop? OR at home with a mill?

9. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

All it is the end of the cam were the fuel pump lobe is cut off and machined flat. Then a new hole is tapped if needed.

10. 73RR

73RR

What 'fuel pump lobe'??

If you are using the stock sprocket then you could snip off the end of the shaft just about anywhere you want to, but you will need to drill and tap the end and make some kind of retainer to hold against the sprocket.

11. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

Hot heads sells a "Cam Washer and Screw" so if purchased I would simply machine off the end of the cam and re-tap the end to the size of the new bolt...correct?
    Does the washer contact the timing gear directly?

12. 1/4 Chub

1/4 Chub

anyone anyone....bueler?

13. 73RR

73RR

...since I'm old and have yet to conquer the problem of posting pictures on this site.....send a email address and I'll send pics of the factory parts.....