Register now to get rid of these ads!

Clear-Coat That Won't Dull the Finish?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mattilac, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mattilac

Mattilac

It seems like every clear-coat that I've ever used dulls the 'fake' aluminum-shiny paint until it basically looks grey. I need to protect my freshly painted grill (I sprayed it with some of that decor chrome paint) by laying some sort of protective coating over it.

[​IMG]

So, does anyone have any suggestions for a type or brand of clear-coat (or any protective coating) that I can spray over the paint but will not dull the color/shine?

2. SpeedRacer2002

SpeedRacer2002

go to your local body suply and see if they have UPOL clear in a can.. seems like its about the best clear in a can sofar....

3. Mattilac

Mattilac

Have you ever used the stuff? Can you testify to its quality?

4. Mattilac

Mattilac

Hey, just wanted to resurface this thread one more time. Maybe someone else will also have some input.

5. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

Many years ago, I thought it would be great to find a chrome, or at least polished aluminum type of finish to be used in paint work. I was fascinated by the effect you could get with the "chrome" paints. I tried several clears over "chrome" spray paint, including lacquers, enamels and urethanes, and never got any satisfactory results.

There are systems now that will produce these results...but it costs much more than rattle cans, and even for the pros, it is tricky.

I would just plan on repainting it once in a while, and when you can afford it, have the plating done.