Register now to get rid of these ads!

Mag Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tall Tom, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Tall Tom

Tall Tom
    from Austin MN

What gives? No one wants Mag type slotted wheels? :confused:

I've had some of the for sale in the past and get no offers. In the last week there's been at least six different adds with only one posted responce. One guy even said if he didn't get any offers he was going to toss them in his scrap pile along with an out board motor.:eek:

My son is a tire recycler and comes upon these type wheels every once in a while and I hold them out from being scrapped and he's getting a little upset with me.

Should I give in and scrap them? Come on guys buy those wheels that are posted. I'm not sure if I'm going to mess with them any longer either.:(

2. ShakeyPuddin55

ShakeyPuddin55

I dig the aluminum slots, but unless your talking about 15x3.5 fronts and 10" or wider rears, there's not much of a market for them.

3. Danimal

Danimal
    1. A-D Truckers

I'm not a big fan but my boys love them. I just don't know what to do with them. What tires look good and NO I'm not talking about white letter crap! Pinner whites? Anybody got shots that show these mounted up and looking prime? I've got a pair but would like a set to go on SOMETHING.

4. monsterflake

monsterflake

14 inch slots have almost no value, except for scrap...

5. mac762

mac762

Rashy was looking for a set of 14 inch slots for his van.

6. If I could get a st of 15x8" 6 bolt, to replace the ugly chrome ones on my Rodeo it'd take em. Or like Shakey says 15x4 and 15x8"-10" for my t tub project.

Just like all things, if you hold onto them long enogh, they will come back into style... muscle car guys are gonna want to modify them once they get bored with the cars... Start buying up 70's Ford Torinos, paint them red and throw sets of them on them, and stick 'em on ebay for big bucks.

7. brandon

brandon

they usually sell good on ebay if they are in decent shape...heck , as heavy as most are , they'd scrape for decent money....just passed on a set of 4 15x8.5's ...6 luggers....they went to recycler... brandon:D

8. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

How are you trying to sell them?

I just bought some on Craigslist and the guy said he had 20 e-mails about them the first day. Whenever they are on eBay they get lots of bids.

9. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

[/quote]
    My son is a tire recycler and comes upon these type wheels every once in a while and I hold them out from being scrapped and he's getting a little upset with me.
    [/quote]

Why is your son getting upset ?

Throw them up on E~Bay for a ride & if they dont go.. Scrape them.

But make sure you find out What make they are before they go.. Some are desireable & some a Chinese crap

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

I just picked up a pair yesterday at the car show/swap meet our club puts on, I walk by and see a pair of really nice Ansen Sprint's 15x5, 5.5" bolt circle with almost new 195-15 on them, asked the guy how much he says $20.00:eek:,..... there worth 20 bucks just as rollers !,
    They are in the barn now next to the 15x8, 5.5" bolt circle Ansen Sprint's I got from a buddy last year for $25.00.

So I am ready for the slot aluminum rim revolution to began !

11. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

If anybody comes across slot mags in 8x15" 5 on 4 1/2" (small ford or mopar) with a 2" backspace,please contact me.. Thanks, I will pay 'good' money for them.... Thanks .. Sparky

12. PRIMERDAVE

PRIMERDAVE

well I have a set of 15X7 5 on 5 bolt pattern if anyone is looking.........

13. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

tom, send me one, ill make a trophy out of it! ;)

also, if there kinda messy and pitted, they make kool lampbases!

14. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

I'm jealous- I have a set of "US Indy Mags" in 15x7 with the 5x 5.5 pattern and have been looking for some narrower ones for the front and wider ones for the back of my 60 F-100.

15. LANCE-SPEED

LANCE-SPEED

I had a set on EPay for a couple weeks 15x7-15x8 5on4.75 GM bolt pattern with some nice BFG big-n-little tires. Not one bid or any response I thought for sure the muscle car guys would jump on em but I was wrong

16. Revhead

Revhead
    from Dallas, TX

here's a pic of my panel truck with pinners and mags.. May not be everyoen's cup of tea, but it was cheap. Cheaper than decent looking steel wheels. Tires are takeoffs from a jeep and the wheels are from craigslist. 15x7 US indys all around.

Attached Files:

17. I've got 2 sets!

14x6 and 14x9 that I had on the '46 in high school

15x3(4?) and 15x10 I've collected for a homebuilt rail of some sort. Maybe a '63 Truckster?!?!?!

18. old beet

old beet

I've had them on my F-1 for over 35 years. 14X6 and 15X10...

19. Why do you have to scrap them just because they haven't sold? Stick them on a wall and hang your air hoses and extension cords on them until they become popular again. I have several sets of those style wheels; 14" aren't very desirable, but I still wouldn't scrap them.

20. Buzznut

Buzznut

Perfect time to creat a home foundry, melt down the aluminum and make some cool cast parts for garage art, shift knobs, etc...

OR

Just collect the coinage for the aluminum value...not sure what it's going for these days, but you should get something out of them.

OR (my personal favorite)

Make some garage stools using the mags as a base. Old axle tubes bolted to them then atop the old axle tubes weld a race seat or an old tractor seat...voila...garage stood with charatcer.

21. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I've busted up a half dozen sets of slots with a hammer in the early 90s to make em small enough to fit into our school's crucible. Guys with links to the school kept donating sets when they did spring cleaning at home. They're a chunky wheel, good melt stock.

The full polished factory pinto set felt good. They should've never been born.......

22. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

the look good on a daily!

[​IMG]

23. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

You're only supposed to run pizza cutters on the front.

24. RacerRick

RacerRick

I have been trying to find a decent set of 14x6's. Its harder than you would think.

25. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

And, THAT, is exactly why they will be very valuable someday.

26. ray

ray
    from colorado

15x8 to 15x10 in 5x5.5 bc will go for decent money too, lotsa ford 4x4 guys going for the "trad" look. i'm one of them, i got slots on my 70 bronco, looking for a spare.

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

Great wheels for that traditional 70's look. I used to like 'em so much, some of my friends started calling them "Scott Mags" whenever they'd see them.

I have a pair of 15 x 10s in a 4.5 bolt pattern that I'd trade for a pair of 15 x 8.5s with a 4.5 pattern if anyone is interested. The 15x10s just don't fit my lowered Dodge Challenger, but would be great for your jacked up gasser or stinkbug musclecar.

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Look great on gassers. I kind of wonder how they would look shod in whitewalls...would they look as good as Torque Thrust D's do wearing whitewalls? I may have to Photochop that one....

29. Whitewalls on slots.
    [​IMG]

G31270Oldsmobile1938 likes this.