Register now to get rid of these ads!

IFS Welding Question on my 51 Chevy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by John Denich, Jun 8, 2008.

1. John Denich

John Denich

Before you guys jump on my ass I am finally putting a aftermarket mustang II front end in my car, the stock front end was just worn out, it was my daily driver for 7 years, and I drove it from Toronto to LA when I moved out here, I am just tired of breaking parts...control arms, shock brackets and that piece of shit center pivot. Anyways my question is I have to weld in the spring-shock hats, but all I have is a small mig welder, I am going to tack it in to get so I can move it if I have to, but what do you guys suggest I weld in those hats with?

John

2. I've used a 250 amp MIG on all I've done.

3. those welds are CRITICAL to your health....if you are not a pro welder, I suggest that you set all up and tack in....then call up a good local welding shop and have them send out a guy with truck mounted portable and pay them to weld it in....thats my best advice...

4. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

as said above tack it and have a pro weld it. do not use a flux core welder cause the pro welder will just get pissed at you.

do not tack it and assemble it to move before it is welded solid.

5. John Denich

John Denich

I was not going to drive it with it tacked in, I am crazy but not that crazy! I was just going to tack it so its in the right place. Thanks you pretty much confirmed what I was thinking of doing.

6. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

dont even assemble the front springs with it tacked, it will move the parts.

7. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

huh why not use the flux core to tack it. You should use a flux core to do this whole job , just use a good welding mechine and a good welder should do it . flux core is stronger then mig welding . mig is softer , flux core is basicly wire feed arc welding .Great for frame work and heavy steel

8. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

cause if he is just tacking it, it will take more work by pro welder to go over it when doing the final weld.

arc weld is kinda the same yet way different. you dont see too many 250 amp flux migs

9. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

I try not to get involved in welding threads. But its ok i read a lot of welding post people dont understand or dont really no what there talking about . Ive been to school for 4 years and welding in the trade for years and learn new things everyday . Im not trying to bust your balls but flux core welding is arc welding 100 % no different besides you pull a trigger and drag a gun and not a rod . Read any book on basic welding. fcaw means flux core arc welding. Burning of core materials inside the wire eletrode provides a gas to sheild the molten metal as it soilifies . Its no harder for a welder to go over or threw because tacks are made at low heat and are soft unless (tig tacks )and easy to burn threw and if you use the right rod you can burn threw any weld making it into the new weld . If you place the tacks 4 5 inchs apart and the welder (if hes any good )will either go in different dirctions from tack to tack ,or it works but you shouldnt unless you no what your doing and have the proper rod just burn right threw the wimpy tacks or weld . You dont see 250 amp arc welders because theres no need in the trade any more but you do see 250 amp flux core everyday in the trade , you just use a flux core welder if you need that much power . Flux core at 220 can do really heavy stock and steel buildings, . This is somthing that i read and see people doing all the time flux core should be used on frames and heavy stock not mig you can do it both ways but flux core is stronger and safer.

10. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey John,

I wouldn't even tack it into place, prior to having a welder complete
    the job.
    Any welder, worth a shit isn't gonna sign off on someone elses tack
    welds. He'll only have to grind them out prior to fit-up and layin' in
    his own tacks. Jus' give exact specs. on the correct location, and
    make damn sure it's not his first time at the rodeo!

Swankey Devils C.C.

"Meanwhile, back aboard The Tainted Pork"

11. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

This is why i dont do welding threads what are you talking about . Tack welds are just to hold somthing in place they have nothing to do with the finish welds . Dude just tack the thing in place where you want it . This is shit is crazy , prep grind everything clean and tack the parts in place

12. toddc

toddc

Like Robert said, grind it clean before you start. Really clean.

13. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston