Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Stock-S/S-F/X 1959-1966

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Race Artist, Mar 2, 2008.

1. olddrags

olddrags
    from ky

Funny Car65 , These above pix are from my web site, I've got a few more of the Outlaw Mopar, any idea who owned/drove this car when this photo was taken (early 1966) I've had one friend who thinks it was Sonny Fentress nicknamed Tennessee. Any ideas?

2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Lets get this thread back on track. Here's a couple Chevys from the Witchita area. :D Royal Brothers '62 Bel Air and a Z-11 '63. Anbody have further details on these?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kelly Chadwick. Notice the '64 Chevelle fenders and '65 grille. Rear leaf springs also.

4. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I sure don't

5. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Didn't know it was off track?

6. 65deluxe

65deluxe

referring to the previous Chrysler and Ford posts. ;)

7. Race Artist

Race Artist

Don't know anything about the '62, wish I did. The '63 is the ex-Dick Harrell Z-11 being run by Charlie Therwanger and Brian Teal. They were connected to Harrell and won ... I think ... Street Eliminator at one of the big AHRA meets at Green Valley in '64 or '65 with the car. There are very few pictures of this car out there that I'm aware of. Notice to the left in the background is Dick Harrell's red Nova with the altered wheelbase, must be mid-late '65 then.
    Joel

8. Race Artist

Race Artist

Great shots and information fellas! Thanks for posting them.
    Joel

9. copo69

copo69
    from WV

Joel, Just found this thread and it is great. Good to see you again, lost track of you after you left Yahoo newsgroup. You posted earlier that you had a picture of Mousie Brown's '66 Biscayne in the pits. Did you ever post it? It was also good to see another picture of the "Wildcatter". I still continue looking for info but still can't get Foster to talk about it. I have acquired a few more pictures of it but don't have a scanner now. Anyway, I hope this thread is an Energizer bunny and "keeps going & going & going......"

10. wally bell

wally bell
    from VA.

We're looking forward to York July 11/12.....
    See you there Joel.

11. storm king

storm king

I don't remember what Phill Bonner had for a rear suspension in the little blue Falcon, but he came up to Dover Drag Strip in N.Y. one year, and that car pulled all four wheels off the grouond in first and SECOND gear! Not good for et's for sure, but what a show!! It made him one of my fav's even being a mopar guy.
    Actually we liked most of the Ford guys.

12. Race Artist

Race Artist

I don't recall where I copied this from, one of a series from the same meet ... it may have been a borrowed issue of TACH or from Garlits' archives. The issue date is Oct. 1966. More to come from this match race soon. I loved most of these cut up AWB cars. I would like to see more of them restored as they really were.
    Joel

Attached Files:

13. storm king

storm king

Anyone have pic's of Larsen Ford's (Billy Kolb driving) T-bolt, or Dobbs Ferry Ford?

14. femadman

femadman

More Green Valley
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    "Contact" Dodge vs Unk
    [​IMG]
    Bad Shot of "Metal Craft" Mustang,was told it's the ex Ronda Mustang,not sure
    DAN BELL PHOTOS

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

that '62 bel air has pinstripping around the 409 emblem very similar?? to the strickler/jenkins '62. :confused:

16. Whatnownc

Whatnownc

This is the Pop Leonard Chevelle. It was one bad car. This Pic is taken at Elk Creek Drag Strip in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Elk Creek</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">Va.</st1:State></st1:place> As far as I know the drag strip is still open every Sunday.

17. matt Delio

matt Delio

raceartest:that shot of the "mr. tomato"? that car was owned by rich demarco from vineland n.j. last year he had it restored to original shape in the last 2 yrs. nice job too.he's had some really nice old race cars over the years. funny while it was being redone they tried to find info. on the paint and so on for the correct look couldn't find anything- after it's done, waalaa a picture. later matt.

18. storm king

storm king

Ok this is makin' me nuts, who can, or how do I post pics on this here board?
    I'm having my assistant scan a bunch of my old 120 camera's prints this week.

19. 65deluxe

65deluxe

Stormking, what I did is open a photobucket account. Once thats done, click choose files, upload the pictures than you can copy by clicking directly over IMG Code. Come back here and paste. Good luck, we're looking forward to seeing your pictures.

[​IMG]

Harrells 65, Witchita

[​IMG]

Rarely seen '64 C/FX out of NJ

20. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Not to start any controversy but,the restoration on the Mr. Tomato car was far from correct and ruined the original work that was done to it.Sorry just my opinion.

Attached Files:

21. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    Issue1 Vol1 SSDI.....My Personal Favorite
    [​IMG]
    SSDI FEB95 DYNO DON 63 CHEVY
    [​IMG]
    SSDI MAY65 DAYTONA JACK WERST
    [​IMG]
    SSDI MAY65 DAYTONA MRS BEES HEMI
    [​IMG]
    SSDI JAN66 JOE SMITH 65SS WORLD CHAMP
    [​IMG]
    SSDI MAY65 DAYTONA GRAND SPAULDING

22. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    MODERN ROD JAN65 64NHRA NATS RODGER LINDAMOOD
    [​IMG]
    MUSCLE CAR JUNE92
    [​IMG]
    MUSCLE CAR JUNE92
    [​IMG]
    MUSCLE CAR JUNE92
    [​IMG]
    MUSCLE CAR JUNE92
    [​IMG]
    ROD & CUSTOM JAN64 63NHRA INDY NATS DON GAYvsNORTHWIND
    [​IMG]
    ROD&CUSTOM JUNE62 62NHRA WINTER NATS COXvsPROFFITT

23. Race Artist

Race Artist

Matt,
    When Rick got the car it was in rough shape as most of these cars are before restoration is begun. As found the long wheel openings were filled in and not like they were in the original Mr. Tomato. Rick asked me if I had anything on the car and before the "restoration" was even started I'd supplied him with a handful of shots and all the information I'd been able to gather on the car, including the shot I posted and others. The car could have been restored to original ... but that was Rick's call.
    I prefer restorations to be true to the original, warts and all.
    Joel

24. Race Artist

Race Artist

Glad you joined up! I left the Yahoo group because it was getting way off track for my interests, too much chat and stuff that bogged things down in my opinion. This thread is going great.

I haven't posted the Mousie Brown shot yet. I'll try to get to it soon.

Does Foster Mays know how the interest in drag racing history and these cars in particular has blossomed? His input into the history of it all is welcome and important. Hope you can get him to open up.

Joel

25. Race Artist

Race Artist

I hope to be there Wally, not sure at this point though. The N/SS racing at Beaver Springs at night is terrific.
    Joel

26. femadman

femadman

Joel,finally heard back from Tommy.Now there's someone who could supply asorted tales and stories about the early days in Texas.

27. Race Artist

Race Artist

From an unknown publication Tex Darnaby's AWB Plymouth. This was in a race report of a multi-car F?X match race. I don't recall the track.
    Joel

Attached Files:

28. Race Artist

Race Artist

Unknown publication October 1966 issue. Tommy McNeely's Hubert Platt built Falcon from the same race report as the Tex Darnaby and Mr. Tomato shots.
    Joel

Attached Files:

29. Race Artist

Race Artist

Dan,

Agreed Dan. I invited Tommy to this thread quite awhile back, not sure if he joined up yet though.

Joel

30. femadman

femadman

[​IMG]
    ROD&CUSTOMJUNE62 62NHRA WINTER NATS STRICKLERvs I THINK DYNO?
    [​IMG]
    ROD&CUSTOM JUNE62 62NHRA WINTERNATS STRICKLER vs PROFFITT?
    [​IMG]
    ROD&CUSTOM JAN64 63NHRA INDY NATS DAVE STRICKLER