Register now to get rid of these ads!

CHEAP and Great Alternative Coil Springs '49 thru '59 Ford and Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fairlane Dave, Apr 26, 2008.

1. deluxester

deluxester

These were installed on a 1950 ford coupe.

2. deluxester

deluxester

Here is a photo of the lower a frame on my 1950 ford coupe.

Attached Files:

3. deluxester

deluxester

I take that back. This is a photo of another HAMB member's 50 ford who was trying to expain alternative methods to lowering.

4. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

Thanks delusexter. I had'nt seen that way before to lower.

5. HotRodRick49

HotRodRick49

This is fucking awesome. I need these to get rid of my heated up coils in the front. It throws off the geometry of the car, and It's a little too bouncy for my needs.

6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

WTF does that mean?

7. solo_909

solo_909

LOL :D

8. solo_909

solo_909

143 is a texting term for the young bucks lol! Its the amount of numbers per word

1 = I
    4 = Love
    3 = You

lol

9. Stumptown Shoebox

Stumptown Shoebox

This post is awesome, thanks.

Now if someone could just come up with some leafs to replace my saggin ones.

10. Stumptown Shoebox

Stumptown Shoebox

***Update***

Used these springs in my 49 and they work great. The ride height is about the same as cutting one coil (maybe a little lower), but the biggest improvement is in the ride quality. Highly recommend, thanks Dave.

Sorry about the low-light pic, just took it tonight.

Attached Files:

11. 55fordwagon

55fordwagon

just put these spring in my 55 ford wagon and they work great, perfect fit and good ride height. nice find!!!!! thanks

12. Gasser57

Gasser57

I installed them last week on my 57 Ford Ranch Wagon, shocks and springs. I made the maiden voyage to Indy for the Road Rocket Rumble. They rode pretty good, loved the stance. Thanks again!

13. Gabehas2manycars

Gabehas2manycars

Love the post, just what I was lookin for!~ I got a 54 Ford Customline with the I6 in it! I went out and pulled some front springs from the yard an put em under my Ford Tonight, I didn't measure but the gist of it is that Im a few inches higher now? ANy ideas maybe? The Springs where off a 93 Aerostar AWD. Im really not stoked to but the original coils just cause I heard the rides crap. Any thoughts?-Thanx

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

15. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Has anyone put these on a '59?

16. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

gabe-I suspect your previous springs were worn out and sagged, leaving the front end substantially lower than stock

17. Gabehas2manycars

Gabehas2manycars

So one of the problems I found with this is the inside diameter of the coil springs in relationship to the cup size on the lower arm and the frame spring pockets. The ID of the springs (I got 93 AWD ones) is 3.5" while the cup OD is 3.75". I havn't been back to the junk yard to see if the 2WD or maybe another year would possibly have different dimensions but I wonder if the other people who have reported success with this accurately had the springs located?

18. Ozzie

Ozzie

I cut 2 coils off mine and then had to cut the bump stops in half to keep it from hitting constantly, it's normal stance now with the 2 coils cut leaves about 1"space between the frame and the cut bump stop. From this statement do you folks think my springs were sagging anyway when I cut them? I have new stock height shocks in there, but don't mind getting the aerostar coils and the mentioned shorter shocks to test this smooth sailing idea.

JonnyZ72 likes this.
  19. Ozzie

Ozzie

PS, when I say mine I mean a 1950 ford 2 door sedan

20. Johnny1290

Johnny1290

Gabe-FWIW I don't recall anybody mentioning using the AWD springs...you might try on shoeboxford.com , do a search on there or post, I know a lotta guys tried aerostar springs with good results

ozzie FWIW I used to have cut coils before I swithced to drop springs(3" drop, can't remember where I got em) and the ride/handling difference is night and day. Well worth $50 for the aerostar springs. My car had the bumpstops removed completely so I can't tell you how close they were to the frame, except my car had at least 2 or 3 coils cut offand it was looooow. Very cool looking, very awful ride.

I know its common at least in the shoebox community for people to get a surprise when the put drop springs on their car and it raises the front! A lot of people , myself included, wouldn't know their stock springs were sagging , expecially if they were cut a few coils.

I still get more harshness over bumps than I'd llike, but I haven't put in my shorter shocks yet, and I've got a trick tie rod kit from fatmans that should help with some bumpsteer issues , according to the catalog :rolleyes:

21. Ozzie

Ozzie

Thanks Johnny, I'll definitely try the aerostar springs and the shorter shocks at the same time that I re- french the headlights and fix a few body issues with the shoebox in the next few weeks to get it more refined than it is now. Also adding 1.5" lowering blocks in the rear just to drag the tail a bit. When I did the exhaust I opted to have the tailpipes not shown at all in the back, so I have the room to drop 1.5". Thanks again,

22. rodknocker

rodknocker

do these aerostar springs throw off the camber?

23. anyone got a good picture of how this fits? something more than words..

tok

24. Gabehas2manycars

Gabehas2manycars

Got the correct springs today and they look and work great on my 54 Customline. I got them out of a 92 Ford Aerostar 2WD. While the AWD springs had a ID of 3.5" the 2WD had a healthy 4" ID and therefore fit great, gave me more drop than cutting 1.5 coils and I still have travel to the bumpstop! Can't wait to finish the paint and get it back on the road!

25. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Post a pic if you can,I have a '54 Customline with a 302 and aluminum intake and water pump the front end has a "gasser" look since it has a lot less front end weight as compared to the old Y-block.

26. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Thanks for the info on this, I have a 56 ford customline, this will be a nice savings. I am planning to add the granada disc kit, which lowers the car a bit, do you think it will lower my 56 too much, if I did the aerostar coils and the granada spindles together?

thanks

Last edited: Aug 18, 2008
  27. So any news on this working on a Mopar?

I've got a 51 Plymouth Concord, and I'm wondering if this spring would fit?

Whats the catch here, the outside diameter of spring fitting the coil bucket?

I may just measure my stock springs and swing by napa and see if they have something close.

28. CadillacKid

CadillacKid

So....any final consensus on what the proper shorter shock is for these aerostar coil springs?

29. ctfortner

ctfortner
    from West TN

Nope, guess we missed the main activity of this thread, seems pretty dead now. I have been talking to others about it, and here is what they said. I have an active post right now about this over at the barn, in the late V8 area.

For shocks to go with the aerostar coils, use (Autozone) Gabriel part #82026 if they are out of stock they can order them $15.99

These are the original replacement shock #'s in a gas shock,oddly enough they are shorter than the OEM's so work well with the Aerostar 2WD springs and will match up with the existing bump stops also.

The rear gas shocks are also shorter than OEM and there is discussion using shock extensions to compensate for this ( I am looking for this discussion). If you lower the rear the same amount the Gabriel gas will be OK too.

Also, fairlane dave posted this...

hope this helps, if others have some input, would love to hear it. Mainly about rear shocks with the leaf springs, what would be best? 56 customline

30. Gasser57

Gasser57

They didn't seem to. I've put 1000+ miles on my 57 since doing the swap with the springs and shocks that Fairlane Dave suggested. It handles fine with no premature tire wear, but I didn't actually measure the alignment after the swap. For the little money that this swap costs, it's worth a try. Worst thing that can happen is, it doesn't fit and you take the stuff back to Auto Zone. At least you can say you tried this BEFORE spending the huge bucks on dropped spindles or custom shocks and lowering springs.