Register now to get rid of these ads!

Call Before You Crush Campaign?!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 59FordGirl, Jun 3, 2008.

1. I remember a while back,either Hotrod or Car Craft,had an on going article about saving cars at the Oil companies from being turned in for $250,or something. A couple guys would go and take a trailer and some cash and offer old farts cash to save the cars from the oil companies.
    Anybody remember that?

2. wfopossum

wfopossum

This should be moved to a sticky, this is a really good idea.

3. 59FordGirl

59FordGirl
    from Oakland

Yep, typing up an association charter right now. really shouldn't be doing this right now but this is something I have been thinking about since October 07.

I am the chair of two associations and I have access to bylaws etc. to work from to establish a board. They are for-profits so I would love to have the support of anyone involved with non-profit companies/associations because there is a lot more paperwork involved with that status.

This is my proposed association name:

American Auto Preservation Alliance - AAPA

The National organization would than be run by Chapters.

AAPA - Northern California Chapter for example (my neck of the woods).

4. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

I truly respect your ideal
    But most of this already exist, sometimes you just can't save every dog in the pound. If you can bring all the little guys together, this could fly.

You need some type of high profile nationwide campaign, with one phone number and one web site. So when anyone ends up in a situation like you describe, your the one they call.

5. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

It sounds like there's some talent and experience behind this plan.

Go for it!

Perhaps we ought to establish standards (probably done by chapters) about what to accept- a 1974 Granada might just sit in the lot.

6. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

Whatever it is, it needs to be simple...

7. If you're going to do it, better have a rollback handy and someone on call 24/7.

When I scrap a car it's because I can get more from the scrapper than if I sit around hoping someone will come buy it and I don't want to deal with that buyer offering me less than scrap because this is wrong or that is wrong or the other thing.

8. BAD ROD

BAD ROD

The only way I would be in favor of this, is if it was totally voluntary for all parties. That means voluntary for the person trying to scrap the car and voluntary for the scrapper. I would not be in favor of a person being held up in any way if he/she were trying to scrap a car – even if that car was a pristine classic.

I do think a “marketing campaign” designed to promote “adoption” of classic cars over crushing sounds pretty neat.

9. toddc

toddc

I say accept everything - Hondas included. The public will likely get shitty about being turned away because their car wasn't quite good enough. And a LOT of people don't know what they have - see the " nice dune buggy " thread.

Then after having accepted all manner of late model rubbish, scrap the ones that don't meet the " criteria " and use the funds to keep the thing rolling along. Even as a non-profit venture, it will use up bulk amounts of cash.

And I know I will never feel bad about crushing a Mitsubishi.:D

Also, old cars are good for the environment. It takes FAR less energy to run an old car than it does to make a new one. " Prius-es are good for the environment" is the best lie to ever be pushed on society.

10. Steamboat

Steamboat

Man, this is golden. I want to see this take off. I'm not sure how much I can do to help, I guess start with a website, then build off of that to a phone number, then an office, etc. The HAMB is a pretty big place.

John

11. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I will discuss this with Ryan ( in a little bit) and my fellow Moderators.

No promises, but I will state that if and I mean IF any consideration would take place to do so that the years of cars would be in line with the classifieds and that is 1964 and older only. ( no pony cars - bugs- etc)

That said, we'll ( Ryan- Moderators) will talk about it and see what can or can not be created.

Again, no promises and please be patient.

Thanks,
    Cob
    Classifieds Moderator

12. 59FordGirl

59FordGirl
    from Oakland

Thanks for the consideration CornCobCoupe.

I think that is a standard I am willing to roll with. Other enthusiasts of other makes/models could certainly start their own chapter/or committee if they want to work under our umbrella.

Besides there are govt. campaigns emerging for newer cars; a good example in EU.

----------------------------

Other organizations I will be contacting: These two are active on the govt. lobby side / could partner with them in that regards and they can provide info for the educational component of our ‘grass-roots’ based initiative: http://www.hagerty.com/
    http://www.semasan.com/
    http://oarl.org/ (seems like &#8216;Elvis has left the building&#8217; with this group)<o:p></o:p> <!--[if !supportEmptyParas]-->
    ----------------------------

Ok, I got to go streak my hair for 'Ink and Iron' :D
    <!--[endif]--><o:p></o:p>

13. Elvisaurusrex

Elvisaurusrex

Brilliant idea, I'm also behind you as much as I can, wrong part of California, but my sister is up there..

I wonder if we can get Jay Leno or somethin' behind us..

14. Very good idea....I have a similar thought from an earlier thread but it didn't get much response...The key to doing what we'd like to do (save collectible, antique, HAMB etc kind of cars) is having the land to store the cars while they are in the process of changing hands. Even if someone calls before they crush, where are you going to keep the car while the car in question awaits a new owner? If someone is pissed enough to have a car hauled away to the crusher, they are not going to wait for a HAMBer, AACA member or otherwise to come and claim it; they'll just call the crusher tout de suite' no matter how much we enlighten them. You have to have a place to put it until you can find a new owner for it-that's why I proposed the Ducks Unlimited model....

Y'all ever heard of Ducks Unlimited? It's a large group of people who contribute funds, volunteer time and lobby state, local and even federal governments to help insure the preservation of huntable birds by preserving their habitats. By pooling their resources, they buy land in migratory bird flyways throughout the Americas so they can continue hunting by helping to limit the destruction of the natural habitats of migratory waterfowl.

Maybe HAMB-ers and SEMA or similar organizations should begin to think about doing something similar (like Call Before You Crush) wherein we raise funds to create new no-crush salvage yards, hunt for the good stuff that's left in current yards and pool it together for use by enthusiasts, restorers, rodders etc...before it's all gone to the scrapper.

Yes, there'd be a huge upfront cost, but eventually the yards would be self-perpetuating...as for those upfront costs? Raise funds with memberships, then pitch people like Jay Leno, Bruce Meyer and many other wealthy automotive enthusiasts to step up to the plate and help preserve the hobby we all love.

I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, but when you look at the Ducks Unlimited model, it does work to help preserve their hobby, why not use the same methods to preserve ours?

15. I assume someone will be paying for these cars.. not too many will just give them away.

I have a rollback truck, and a place to store cars, but I would want to keep them all!!:D

I am sick..

And take anything offered, because as said before, you can scrap out the non-conforming vehicles.

But then again, you need a dismantler's license, or similar to do it legally. At least in CA.

It is a neat concept, and I hope it flys.

16. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

59 Girl,

Just need to clarify this with you.
    This is Ryan's website, so he is final say.
    As far as "our umbrella" ...well...this is Ryans website and what he says is final say.

I am chatting with my fellow Moderators about possibilities but again, I make no promises.

BUT !!!! BEFORE YOU GO ANY FURTHER with any group contacts.
    No government involvement what -so-ever.

Just chill for a bit and let us mull it over.

Your efforts are admirable.

Be cool.

Cob
    Classifieds Moderator

Ok- I have to go shave and shower now for my up comming spread in
    " Middle Aged Man Magazine"

17. 59FordGirl

59FordGirl
    from Oakland

DAM really I was about to Log-off for my hair duties. But I wanted to say EXACTLY Weaverville Studios! Storage is the key to success. I really started thinking about this after hearing some sad crush stories last year - than I saw a documentary on Airplane bone yards and it started coming together in my head. That's what we need is land for storage while these cars find a new life. Its amazing what they are now doing with old planes...I forget who it was but I think one of the Orange County rod shops is turning plane wings into tables and selling them for a mint.

Anyways, point being once you accumulate things there will be a need and during the process the area can be open to the public as a working museum. Of course this land would need to be in CA, AZ, NV, NM etc. a warm-climate that would protect the cars.

TILL THAN,

Of course we got to bring the idea back home and focus on the storage we have in our own backyard or local community.

18. 59FordGirl: Thank you for the kind words and consideration...Study Ducks Unlimited-they really have their act together...so does SEMA but D.U. is all over the land use issues.

I had a street-rodding friend that bought a dilapidated salvage yard 15 years ago with the full intent of selling parts to rodders, restorers, shadetree mechanics etc...Within a few years he realized that 'recycling' was making him a lot more money and was a lot easier than pulling parts...Within 5 years of opening a much larger yard offered him a big wad of cash for all of his cars because (you can guess 'the rest of the story') they had a China-bound container ship to fill with #1 steel...and THAT's the plight of a hobbyist who started out with the BEST of intentions, let alone people who are in the salvage business with zero regard for our hobby....So if we don't act fast, there will be no more yards, no more cars in the barn, riverbeds etc...

BTW the folks making high-end furniture from aircraft parts is most likely 'Faster Fine Art'...here's a link.

http://www.fasterfineart.com/

All the best-W.S.

19. toddc

toddc

There will likely be a need for yards all over. As has been said previously, when people decide they want an old car gone, they want it gone that minute. And the scrappers are all too happy to be there for them. Many people won't wait the few days for a transporter to be in the area. Also, freight each way across the country would make the project expensive. And the freight for the potential buyers might scare many away.

I understand the no govt involvement thing, but in Australia there are disused military bases around. Most of them are huge, and with acceptable quality sheds for this purpose. And when the leases do come up ( they are normally looooong term ) they are dirt cheap.:)

20. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

The only objection I might have is that it takes all the fun out of finding these cars- what's a barn find without the find?

21. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Count me in to help in any way possible. The Nature Conservancy is a non-profit that uses funds from individuals to purchase and set aside land. Unlike groups like the Sierra Club, et al, that demand the land owners use their land in a way that the environmental groups want them to, the Nature Conservancy buys the land and does what it wants with it.

To me, that's the same thing here: Private individuals combining buying power to purchase and set aside vintage automobiles, parts, etc. so that they're not left to crushers. Money talks. Pooled money talks a lot. We can let the China-bound recyclers have the cars, or we can buy them ourselves. That's what it boils down to.

The challenges will involve publicity and storage of the actual cars and parts.

22. Exactly....I could not agree more.

The reason I cited the DU model instead of the Nature Conservancy model is that like hunting, our hobby may not be well-loved by the general public, especially a public that allows our federal gov't to pass stupid, insipid laws that impede our hobby, and suppress many aspects of what we used to know as " The Pursuit of Happiness".

So while nearly everyone agrees with The Nature Conservancy's altruistic goals, not everyone agrees with hunting's place in the world, thus I think looking at the Ducks Unlimited model as well as The Nature Conservancy's methods may be a good road map for us to study.

All the best-W.S.

23. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

As usual, I lost my long nicely worded post. =( Here's the short version:
    Great idea. Will need network of storage yards. Pitch with a Patriotic spin (preserving American culture and art.) Working on my MPA, may switch over to non-profits. Could learn a lot, may be able to help in some way. Definitely the short version.

24. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

Oh Yeah, this needs to be made sticky.

25. dannyego

dannyego

Sounds like a great idea....but with the internet and Ebay how many people are really sending the sought after stuff to the scrap yards? I havent seen even a 60's car in a yard since the 80's. If someone wants to start this early I have a 56 chevy four door thats rotted out with no engine. With scrap at $425 a ton I sould get around $700 for it. Would only get about $300 in a classified. Who knows I could be wrong. If I could pick up some 30's fords for the price of scrap sign me up, Im in!

26. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

No more stickies for a awhile.

Maxxed now on the main page.

Cob

27. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Im getting calls everyday on cars getting scapped anything anyone can do to save a few is great .I have three cars right now, 3 i saved for selling and im selling one of mine 7 car so im done . I have two more i can get that are not going anywhere .Its the srape prices people are pulling them out from everywhere and scrapping them .

28. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

I junked a 1 ton 80 chevy loaded with metal motors and i got 800 so i dont think you can get 700 more like three hundred and i bring them right to the shipping yard to be shredded and loaded on the boat . I junked a big ass truck last week and got 650 . cars are about 300 to 400 for a heavy one

29. PoopStain06

PoopStain06
    BANNED
    from SoCal

What happens after the pool of cars are accumulated?
    Will I still have a chance to build a affordable car?

30. dannyego

dannyego

Well...Curb weight on a 56 chevy four door is over 21/2 Tons I would consider that a heavy one. At $425 a ton plus a trunk full of bent rims Im pretty sure Ill be at my figure.