Register now to get rid of these ads!

Best source for 94's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stan, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Stan

Stan
    from UK

I'm looking to use 3 94's on my hemi and have been looking around for a good source. I have seen various bad reports for Vintage speed although they seem to talk a good game, and have seen someone from Canada doing a 3 twos set up for $750 on ebay. Anyone any comments on either, or suggestions for a good source? Thanks

2. jimmyv

jimmyv

I just did a eBay search for Holley 94 and found over 20. Some at around 20-30 bucks.

3. Stan

Stan
    from UK

I'm always concerned that "for rebuild" can often mean "for bin"! Its not too bad if you can have a good look inside first at a swap meet, but ebay makes me a bit nervous.

I've had some offered locally for $80 each that need a rebuild kit but are apparently good. Depending on what else I can find I'll take a ride over and have a look.

4. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

Try this fellow

ahttp://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220930

Definitely avoid Vintage Speed at all costs.

5. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Check your PM's

6. A member on the Shoebox Ford forum bought two carbs from the Canadian eBay guy. He said he didn't like the finish on one of them and the guy sent him a replacement no questions asked. He was very pleased with them.

7. I got the rebuild kits for my three carbs from Vintage Speed. Everything seemed to go ok.

Will 3 94's feed a Hemi?

8. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Depends on the Hemi. Is it stock? Cubic inches? Cam? Should be fine for a stock spec. motor and maybe even a bit more. Depends on the series of 94's also. Some flow more than others. Average is probably around 170 or 180.

9. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, BTW... Charlie Price (owner of Vintage Speed) is out of the shop till the 9th. Not sure if that will delay your order, but just thought I would pass it on.

10. strombergs97

strombergs97
    from California

Three 94s might work on a very small Hemi, 241 ..270..Dodge...I think the Hemi would run lean if bigger CIs..
    Duane.
    ps..dickster27 might be the man for 94s.

11. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Yip, there is a difference in 94's that go clear up to a special hi-performance version Holley made in '62-'64 until they discontinued the 94 style to be replaced with the pancake style you now know.
    160-300 CFM are indeed available. I know that those figures will be disputted but most folks don't even know Holley made a big 94. I have them all and the hardware to get it together for you. Not makin' a hustle here, just letting you know there is a place to get all your little carbies played with.

12. Abomination

Abomination

I play with my little carbies all the time! I'm gonna go blind someday...

~Jason

13. dickster27

dickster27
    from Texas

Jason, I plan to stop when I need glasses.

14. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Thanks for all the info guys. Motor is a 330 Desoto Hemi that will be running one of the inlets fabbed by "38moparfan" (check out the thread if you haven't already, its a very nice piece of kit). Anyone have a name for the Canadian supplier?

Replied to your PM Dickster, thanks.

15. Wildfire

Wildfire

You can also call Rudy Faltermeier in North Carolina - mine came from there. Beautiful pieces, my car is not running yet, but he came highly recommended from another HAMB'er who has used him for years. You can search him on the HAMB too, several posts.

Rudolf Faltermeier
    150 Rock Bridge Rd
    Spartanburg, SC 29307
    864-463-6052

16. Abomination

Abomination

Don't get me wrong, I love the 'ol 94, but I'm mostly a Stromberg/Rochester guy. ;) They "do it" for me!

...I already have glasses. :(

~Jason

17. fuel pump

fuel pump
    Member Emeritus
    from Caro,MI

I would call Jere Jobe. The guys at Edelbrock say he is the 94 guru. I bought two 94s and an intake for my flathead from him. He set the 94s up for my engine, put the carbs and intake on a test stand flathead in his shop so he could run and adjust them. I bolted the complete intake assembly on and it ran like a champ.

18. krooser

krooser

Don't forget that the cfm requirements for the engine is based on OPERATING rpm... if you always run your engine at 6,000 rpm's you'll need more cfms. But, in a normal street drivin application, you can easily operate with a lot less carburation.

Back in the 60's the "normal" 3X2 setup for everything (292 Fords, 389 Pontiacs, 371 Olds, Flatties, etc) was three 97's or 94's. See we didn't know, or care, about cfm's, cam durations, etc. We were dumb BUT we had some pretty neat (and fast) cars.

My point is 3 97's will feed a 392 Hemi if you don't peg the tachometer. A 330 DeSoto would LOVE to have three 97's/94's...

19. Abomination

Abomination

Jere's a good guy. Mostly a Stromberg guy, but I'll bet he did a number on those 94s. ;)

~Jason

20. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

EXACTLY! What Krooser said!

Guess it all depends on your plans.

Also, it depends on the efficiancy of the manifold as well and the way the runners are laid out. If you use the 3x2 adapter that goes on 4bbl manifold it's going to have different flow characteristics than say an open plenum type 3x2 or even a single log style 3x2 like Lake Headers fabs up.

21. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Faltermeier & Jobe also get my recommendations

22. Stan

Stan
    from UK

Great help and info guys. I've read a couple of pieces by Jere Jobe and he obviously knows his stuff, didn't realise he supplied as well.

The reserch continues..........