Register now to get rid of these ads!

Electric speedo for a T5?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BigThree, Jun 1, 2008.

1. BigThree

BigThree

Well I put a T5 in my car but it is the newer style with the electric speedo. Is there any companies that make a speedo that will work with the stock speed sensor? Or is there a replacment sensor I can get to work with any?

Just want something to use till I can come up with a mechanical speedo tranny.

Thanks

2. I use Autometer.

3. art.resi

art.resi

Most electronic speedos work with stock sensers.

4. birkin08

birkin08
    from California

FWIW VDO makes a speedo that that comes with a sensor that uses the driveshaft bolts for a signal and it can be user calibrated, have one in my car and it works fine...

5. Vergil

Vergil

I am using an Autometer with mine, no problems.

6. BigThree

BigThree

Excellent, thanks for the info!

Now I'm off to find a gauge!

7. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

If your into building small electronic projects.
    I got the guts of an electronic speedo at the pullapart and have built the Jaycar speedo corrector kit from jaycar (see link for artical) My father inlaw is going to metal spin the case for me and I intend to make a new old style face for the speedo. Under $40 and I can say I made it myself

[​IMG]

http://autospeed.com/cms/A_108415/article.html

8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just got an Electronic SW off the HAMB classifides

9. I got the same situation. Using a T5 in my roadster that has the elec. sender. I just bought a set of Wings guages with the elec. speedo. Haven't hooked it up yet so dont know what exactly it will take. But, well see.....................

10. shortyforty

shortyforty
    from NH

Does the sensor unbolt from the trans?
    I put a 85 Mustang T5 in my 63 Falcon and just removed the sensor and the stock Falcon speedo cable fit right in and works with no problem.

11. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Check with Snarl here on the HAMB - he's pretty smart on these electronic speedo T5s (and T5s in general!)

12. bloodyjack

bloodyjack

I made one from a electronic speedometer from the pull-a-part with a home made fake Stewart Warner Police special gauge and I have just remembered that the torque tube I am retaining has a mechanical drive on it.

[​IMG]

13. marks914

marks914
    Alliance Vendor

Most aftermarket speedometers will be able to accomodate your setup. The s-10 uses a magnetic pickup, just make sure you wire it acordingly. Most of the aftermarket units have different witing for magnetic/optical vs. hall effect.
    On ours, you actually have to go into the menu to tell the speedometer which type of pickup you are using. Now, the noly problem is finding one that looks right.
    Hope this helps.

Mark