Register now to get rid of these ads!

Important Brake Question???????

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dustyrustee, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Will this combination stop a 2,200 pound fast anglia effectively ??

Front: stock 9" rotor mustang II front discs.....

Rear: stock 9" ford drum brakes......

what will be the result of this combo?

I already have the mustang II brake stuff (new) kickin around and dont wanna trash them...

thanks guys!

2. RodStRace

RodStRace

Stop how? At the end of an eighth mile, end of a quarter, or on the street?
    What ET? What tires F/R? The master should be sized to the caliper and wheel cylinder combo.

3. Stopping mainly street occasional 1/4 mile weekend racer...

ET: will be low 12 seconds I hope.....speed 110 mph at end quarter??

Front tires: 25 " dia...6" wide....15" rim

Rear tires mickey thompson sportman pro....31 x 16.5 x 15
    (tread width 12.2")

thanx...

4. duste01

duste01

I never had any trouble out of my 67 cougar, or 71 torino with a similar stock set up, shelby mustangs werent any different. Dusty

5. those cars all had 9" rotors with single piston calipers like mustang II size wise?

6. Ford built something like 750,000 Mustang II's with a similar brake setup available on them, most of them weighed in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs, I don't remember any stories of people not being able to stop in them - the problems were if they ran into the back of a Pinto with one.

7. Yeah but no one was driving a Mustang II at 110+ MPH! Having said that I think you should be fine.
    Last pass in my Anglia before I tore it apart for a little freshening up was 9.20 at 160, no front brakes, standard Dana 60 rear drums

And a parachute :)

8. thats scary fast!!! for a tiny car....

9. Yeah 90" wheel base! and none of those gay ass looking wings like they keep sticking on old gassers today!
    The worst part was this was at Carlsbad where there was a big dip at the end of the track. The laundry came out just as I was going over the dip and it made the rear wheels, you remember them, the only ones with brakes, come off the ground. Wahoo!

10. Stop calling them Mustangs.

M-II's were PINTOS with a nose job! PINTO!

Those 9-1/4 brakes would stop PINTOS.

I consider them way way undersize for 3,000 lb and heavier.

When I have larger 11" MUSTANG/GRANADA size brakes on 3,000 lb cars, they are much better, but I still smoke them every now and then when I drive.
    Spend extra on BIG brakes and you'll be happier... If you drive like I do.

The 2200 lb car may be ok with the 9-1/4 brakes, but if you go heavier, I would use the 11" upgrades until you go much over 3,000 then I would go up a few more steps bigger.
    Unless you drive like an old lady, then almost anything is adequate.

11. have you got some pics of the anglia Don??

love to see them...in ad outside of car if you got?

12. gotcha.....pinto....thks.....