Register now to get rid of these ads!

cracked, corroded mismatched junk

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupster, Jun 2, 2008.

1. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Found these at different junk yards. One was cracked and corroded. Had the cracks welded and sanded down till smooth. The other was just corroded. Total cost was $14 including paint and sandpaper. It doesn't have to be expensive.

[​IMG]

6 fin Cal Customs

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

not bad at all!

3. I'll give you $15 for them,lol.

4. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

cool beans

f-k high dollar, low dollar and ratty is the way to build 'em-any idiot can dish from a wallet and build an engine with all new parts from a Summit catalog

nice work

5. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Wait up, wait up- 14 dollars for that ENTIRE ENGINE? Rotating assembly and valve covers and pistons and valves and all?

6. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Its just a sbc

7. Stizzealth

Stizzealth

Yeah, so it's an SBC but still. Add an intake and carb and off you go.

8. 57dodge

57dodge

I'm pretty sure hes talking about the valve covers

9. mac762

mac762

Don't knock a small block Chevy. Especially with power pack heads. Very, "Traditional".
    I know a lot of guys want to down the small Chevy, but they rule. Period point blank... If they're weren't so many them they would still be considered one of the prettiest motors around.
    Power per dollar, second to none and very "traditional". Flatheads look neat but I would never take the loss of hp. For the "look" or the acceptance.

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Low dollar is good. Ratty is not. There is nothing ratty I can see about these valve covers. low Buck and nice with pride of workmanship is good.

11. punkabilly1306

punkabilly1306
    from ohio

very nicely put

12. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

Yep i know just givin em a little shit, my t roadster is getting a power pac 283

13. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

Now that you mention it, I don't have a whole lot of money in the entire engine. I got it for $100 aircleaner, manifolds, starter, and alt included. Its from a under 100K 65' Impala that was wreaked. I disassembled and cleaned it up and found a crank that was useable with .001 over bearings which I got for $20. Had to bore it out to .030 and I got pistons for $35. I did most of the head work, valves were all servicable. I opted for new seats and a couple guides, my pal at the machine shop let me by for a $100. Gaskets oil pump and other junk was under $100. I wonder if I could O/H a flatty for that? I do love em thou, but I"m kinda cheap:)

14. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

That's what I do. Buy orphans and search until I find a match. Cheapest way to go if you have the patience. And usually you can bargin from cheap to REALLY CHEAP!! -stick