Register now to get rid of these ads!

New baby - won't turn over fast enough!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e-tek, Jun 2, 2008.

1. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Hi gents - first post here because I finally got the yard truck of my dreams! It a 46 and runs GREAT (when started!). I drove it 2 hrs home form where it was stored, no probs! The issue I have is that it's been "hard to turn over" (not hard to start if it turns fast enough). If I jump it (from a 12V), sometimes it turns over fast and sometimes won't. Without a jump it will barely turn over. I've started it from a tow a couple times and it runs great, but turn it off and it's hard to turn over again. I changed the solenoid and ran new/clean grounds from battery, solenoid and block to body....but still the same. Think I burned the starter jumping off the 12V ? (OK, sometimes it was backwards..) Also, I noticed when I did jump it off a 12V I heated the cables enough to melt some! Why is this - the amps drawn??:eek:)
    Anywho, I got a new battery and it's been charging since yesterday, while I try to get some advice before trying again! Any advice would be greatly appreciated??[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

optima battery solve this problem in my car

3. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

maybe time for a new starter?

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The hot places are your problem, generally! I bet the cables are undersize and not capable of carrying the current load for 6V battery. Also see if solenoid is hot after a short run of cranking. 6V system runs twice the amprage of 12, and cheap parts store cables will be severely undersize!

5. 4tford

4tford

If you cranked the engine along time you could have fried the starter. Crank times should not be more than 30 seconds or less or you can damage the starter. Also, let the starter cool down between cranking for longer periods. Take the starter to your local parts store to check it out.

6. Sounds like you probably have a bad field in the starter of the armerature toasted, or both. You can get the armerature tested anyplace they have a growler (sp?).

Not likely you hurt the starter by throwing 12 volts to it, 6 volt starters are tough. the one thing you don't have to rework when you make a change to 12 volts.

Oh nice truck BTW. Looks like an old warhorse.

7. upzndownz

upzndownz

like stated undersized cables are a common problem as 98%of autoparts counter guys wouldnt know a 6V cable if thet did have it in stock//the other most common problem is bad corroded rusty connections

8. You have classic bad starter symptoms.
    0, or 00 gauge cable is just on adequate. Ask for diesel cables, or buy welding cable and make your own.
    Old farm hands will know that an 8 volt battery can be used here, but it raises hob with everything else (lights, radio, etc.), like all the shit a tractor don't got!! (We're talking Ford 8N here, not nothing newfangled).
    Great truck.

Cosmo

9. wvenfield

wvenfield

00 gauge cables should work fine. As noted more than once, make sure you are not running 12 volt cables. If not I agree with those who say you need your starter rebuilt.

By the way, nice pic and truck.

10. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

And make sure the ground cable is attached to the engine not the frame. Use a smaller ground wire to bond the engine to frame 4 to 8 gauge would be OK. After making sure of correct size cables get the starter at least check out or rebuilt.

11. duste01

duste01

Your starter was probably iify to start with.

12. Gigantor

Gigantor

Neat truck. Looks like it has a lot of history.

13. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Wow - I'm humbled. That didn't take long to get a dozen responses, all good ones!
    I appreciate the kind words on the truck - I loved it when the previous owner (a freind who just passed at 85 yrs old) brought it into town to work on it, watched him and a buddy do all the work on it, found he had WAY too much into it to be able to do one like it, then got very lucky when the family picked me to be the next caretaker after his passing.
    I would have chosen the starter myself, but y'know how it goes - the guy helping me said it had a new/rebuilt starter, so he thought it was a ground, then we decided to be lazy and change out the solenoid. Today I grabbed two original ground straps from a parts truck and have one from Battery to Block and one from Block to Cab - all cleaned up and tight. The lead from solenoid to starter looks heavy-duty, though I'm not sure if it's 0 or 00. Anyone know what diameter they are?
    One more question - would any good starter/alternator shop be able to rebuild/exchange a 6 volt?
    Cheers.

14. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Yup, go to Napa and buy some 1 gauge cable and the proper
    ends to make your own new cables. If that doesn't do it, replace
    or rebuild that starter. Buenas Suerte!

15. jleavesl

jleavesl
    from Houston

I had a similar problem on my Plymouth. Start tracing the circuit from the starter. Look for shorts in the cable (and any cables that shoot off from it). My problem lay with a short in the wire running to the Electric Choke... it was grounding out to the block and diverting alot of the current away from the starter.

John

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

ALL the cables in the starting circut need to be the SAME size. 00 is probably 3/4 OD or close to it.And run the battery groubd to the block.

17. JDHolmes

JDHolmes
    from Spring TX

Clean the battery connections especially the ground connection on the block. 6v systems are very touchy about quality of connection. Also, as John says, use big wire and use a braided cable for the ground if you can find one (think tractor supply, they still stock them). When I did this, my 6v car turns over as well as a new one now.

18. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Cool old truck!
    Yes, any starter/generator shop can rebuild your starter.
    You could also buy rebuilt ones outright. Don't jump with 12 volts no more :)
    Change your cables first before considering a starter change.
    Be sure to use the size listed by the other fellas above.

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

I had the same problem last week with my dad's 36 sedan. Id crank it over but it wouldnt turn over fast enough..but when I jumped it with a box it cranked over fine. Turns out I had a ground problem. Check your cables first to make sure things are hooked up properly before tearing into the starter and generator.

20. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

I did checked starter while it was still in truck. Jumped from Neg right to starter and nothing...which is why I then pulled it. I had also checked Voltage at Batt (6.4V) at reg (same) and at starter (same)...when cranking (well, it wasn;t cranking, but I was pushing starter button under reg.)
    Again, the 6V is all new to me, so who knows if I even really did what I think I did! Now that I write this I can't be sure which %#%# lead I used!
    I also checked the batt cables today - both are thick and newer. Did an Ohms resistance check and got 0.
    I pick up starter tomorrow and will be re-installing and poler/pulver - ising AFTER re-reading all these posts!!
    Anything to add - please do!

21. art.resi

art.resi

6 volt ford systems are positive ground.
    12 volt ford systems negitive ground.
    I'm sure everyone knows this but
    thought I would mention.

22. art.resi

art.resi

8 volt batteries used to be a fix that was used.

23. e-tek

e-tek
    from SK, Canada

Just wanted to let anyone checking know I got the starter back today, installed it, checked all wiring for resistance (low to none!), Polarized the regulator (!) and SHE STARTED FIRST TIME, every time and is now the love of my life (again!).[​IMG]

So, thanks to all you helpful and smart people out there [​IMG] - your help was very much appreciated!![​IMG]