Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Sometime back, someone (I forget who, but a fairly frequent contributor to this thread as I recall) mentioned that he was looking for a 70s Nance to restore. Came across this in the latest NSSN, FWIW-

Attached Files:

2. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Damn it Rootie.. Talk about "Dangling a Bone"

That Nance could be killer..

3. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

This was 2 ads down, surprised Roy C. isn't on top of this one. :)

Attached Files:

4. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

I AM NOT A WING FAN... Used to be a long time ago, but the medication wore off.

But, this last Friday night the only gig in town was a "once a season" wing show at one of the local late model tracks.

So, we went.. and turns out dad and I used to race karts with the flagman, Tony Jones. Well, one thing led to another and dad got to throw the green for the feature. Danny Smith started Third and won, which was cool because my ol' man is a Danny Smith fan from way back, It couldn't have worked out better.

He even got to stay in the flagstand for the whole race. What a view!

He's been fired up ever since.

[​IMG]

5. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Here are some pictures from the Hoffman Racing Website.

Enjoy..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was the first Indy car I ever sat in. I was 4 or 5 years old, and can still remember it well. (check out the Chevy dually)

[​IMG]

And check this out. Its there anual Fish fry and Open house. Thats veteran USAC sprint car driver and now USAC official, Greg Staab in dads sprinter.. He got into it pretty hard and threw some gravel but then realized he wasn't strapped in... Keep watching cause at the end they show the race shop and voglers car.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWu4su8T_7U

JD

hiboyroadsterboy likes this.
  6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

VERY COOL VIDEO!See some familiar faces walking around in that crowd...

7. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

That was the first Indy car I ever sat in also, My dad and Grandpa crewed on that car, my grandpa is kneeling to left of the 59 car picture. I believe that picture was taken at Michigan, I have a picture of me that same day jumping from the trailer into the truck holding a Bud.

[​IMG]

The first Sprint car I sat in.

[​IMG]

8. I almost completely agree with you about not being able to relate to drivers, but here's the glitch.

Danica is American, she can drive, she gets attention from the media, she presents herself well in front of the camera AND people CAN relate to her. The sponsors like her and support her 'cause she does get exposure.

The foreigners have been bringing in the big $dough$ and capuring the rides.

As for the previous comment about Hamilton, Fisher, etc.. They weren't getting getting mentioned and gaining the exposure 'cause they weren't up front or didn't pay for the in car camera. Yes, Sarah got her air time, but only after she crashed.

There's more folks jumpin' off this ship than climbing aboard. And as I mentioned before, until there's a USA driver development program, "you're stuck with what ya' have".

AND ........... I'm not the one that changed gears on this thread. Blame the guy that wanted to see Danica knocked on her ass.

But, it looks to me she can handle herself and is quite capable of knocking many of those "Pussy Dick no-drivin' MoFos" with the deep pockets on their ass.

By the way, I'm not a Danica fan and have to agree that her air time is not poportional to other drivers. I just know what's good for the sport. I was involved with several nationally televised racing series as a motorsports race rep for more than 10 years for a large company. If you're selling racing products, sponsoring a race series or sponsoring a car, you want on camera time exposure.

We used to pay a company to measure the number of video exposures our logo received, along with the number of audio mentions during a race broadcast. Kinda' like lookin' at "what's the return on my investment?".

Now, back to the normal televised broadcast. The good ol' stuff, when the path to Indy wasn't paved;).

9. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Josh im a hard core wing fan but....... After the race at terra haute im now undecided!!!! Man them cats were fast and they were scary.. Takes some balls.. The guy i used to wrench for in the pavement sprint was here all weekend and were considering another run to the action track.....
    Dave

10. av8

av8

FWIW, those covers were made to protect flathead motors from being drowned out by water spray in inboard-engine boat racing classes -- hydros and crackerboxes.

Mike

11. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

That was me... And I still feel the same way.

THE BOTTOM LINE IS... If the name was Donald patrick he would have never have been given thought with the "Credentials" she brought to the table. She can sell advertising.. thats why she's there.

The only thing I do like about her is that she is American.. I just think there are A LOT of better Americans that would represent us better..

For instance.. John Stanbro today at Kokomo.. He flipped in his heat, they REBUILT the race car and started on the tail of the B mian. He charged to the front and won it advancing to the A main. Jon then put an "old school" charge to the front and WON IT!! But we will never see him in an Indy car cause he brings no money, he's not young, he drives dirt cars... and he's not an good looking woman.

That sucks.

Sorry for getting off topic.

JD

12. hot rod surplus

hot rod surplus

how rare is a 1923 chevy 4 cylinder flat tail . i have one in my shop i am working all the little problems out for a guy . it goes like hell it also has a pretty rare quick change it is in front of the rear. it is called a collier quick changeit s set up with a chevy three speed . the car runs pretty good . hopeing to run it at the latimer valley fair at the end of this month . hope you like. hot rod surplus

Attached Files:

13. Yep, that's right.

I have pair of those covers on my '38 Ford 4-door convertible.

Part of the package also included the aluminum cylinder heads and intake. I located one cylinder head several years ago. I need its mate!!

14. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Danica Schmanica! Troy Ruttman fixing to rub on the walls of the high banks of Oakland.

Attached Files:

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Check out the leather cover over the grille.. I assume to build up heat for qualifying. Pretty cool. I know its not new, but I wonder who the first to do it was.. This is the first time I've noticed it that far back.

JD

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Good eye, I didn't notice that. They're wearing jackets and if you've been in the bay area at the right time of year, you know it can get C-O-L-D there. Here's Rutt a few years later, a little older and wiser I'm sure, but still gasing it at Milwaukee 63.

Attached Files:

17. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

That is something. And NASCAR probably figures they thought of it with the tape.

18. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Just happened to think. A lot of owners had those covers made for transporting the cars on open trailers in bad weather. Leaving it on was handy for building up the heat.

19. jbarzda

jbarzda
    from NJ

20. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Yep. like the interior covers, good point. Cool.

Neat pic jbarzda.. What Speed Shop is that. Check out the Quarter eliptic leaf set up on the rear... (Speedway car or raod racer.. {mirrors}??)

21. racer5c

racer5c

Where was this??? I can't find the original post

22. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

The latest NSSN.

23. Race Artist

Race Artist

Venturing a guess with the name Jbarzda that it is the famous Joe Barzda (or son maybe) and the equally famous California Speed Shop in New Brunswick, NJ. We used to buy go-kart stuff there and see the stretched midget sprinter they had in the garage.
    Joel

24. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

At first I was thinking road racer, BUT.........

Attached Files:

25. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Mirrors at Indy... :rolleyes: Damn Ray Harroun!

.................................................................................

Time for another Tribute..

In honor of The men that have captured all the Images we have been discussing here.. Lets highlight a few pictures from one of the best, and my favorite.

Racer5c's former car owner and friend,

JOHN MAHONEY

(these are just a taste of this guys unbelivable collection of pictures)

The man himself sacrificing leg and lim for the cause..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Capturing sprint cars in time like this cause you to make engine noises when you look at them.. WHAAAA... WHOMP WHOMP WHAAAAAAAA!!! (I do anyways:D)

[​IMG]

Thats a LOW line... (note the tire marking the infield between the two cars..)

[​IMG]

Many of you Hot Rodders have heard of Jackie Howerton, Mahoney caught him here testing the limits of the right rear.

[​IMG]

Howerton was the real deal... And here's proof. Jackie Howerton #42 leads while BIG TIMERS Al Unser #1 and Mario Andretti #2 fumble around behind.

[​IMG]

A long way from double stack Kenworth haulers..

[​IMG]

Any of you that have had the pleasure of running a cushion can understand the feeling this guy is having. A good heavy cushion is like hitting the wall and nitros button at the same time. It will bogg the engine and twist yer neck.. Damn its fun!

[​IMG]

I belive our Racer5c lit the wooden wall for this ride. It was Crocky's last. At 77 years old he became the oldest active stuntman.

[​IMG]

Speaking of Racer5c... Check out that afro!

[​IMG]

once again Roy... Congrats. (nice pay day!)

[​IMG]

Neat shot... Thanks John Mahoney. If you ever stumble accross this site please feel free to contribute.

[​IMG]

JD

26. Rd2Indy

Rd2Indy
    from OC

Picture of Dad-Gary Congdon at Eldora in a Babe Stapp sprinter, pic of Rd2Indy playing at Walt James' Thanksgiving playday @ Willow Springs, old Edmunds

Attached Files:

27. racer5c

racer5c

Howerton was the real deal... And here's proof. Jackie Howerton #42 leads while BIG TIMERS Al Unser #1 and Mario Andretti #2 fumble around behind.

last lap hoosier hundred, Jackie beat Al and Mario

28. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Jackie is a great guy... He alsways finds time time to talk to ya no matter where he is or whats going on.

Anybody have any more pictures of him?

29. hlfuzzball

hlfuzzball
    from Michigan

Noticed the name of Kevin Doran on the side of Roy's midget. He sure has gone on to bigger things in sports car racing !

30. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Agree on Jackie. He's the real deal. Great photos. Always liked having Mahoney around when I was at IRP. Between he and the late Jack Gladback I knew I had things covered.