Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A cross-member suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DeepSouthRick, May 30, 2008.

1. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

We're building a no-billet low-dollar Model A project.

Chassis has to carry a mild 302 and 4-speed toploader pushing a 9-inch rear.

I like the look of the Dagel's x-member, but you're stuck with using their pedal setup and their x-member might be a little overkill for us. Just want to build a sturdy hot rod.

At a minimum, we could box the frame and sling a tranny mount between the rails. But I'm thinking with the 4-speed, we might need more than just a simple tranny tube between the rails.

Suggestions on other x-members for sale?

My welding skills are good enough for patching farm equipment, but that's about it, so I'm really not up to fabbing my own.

Rick

2. art.resi

art.resi

Prctice your welding and build it yourself unless you are in a hurry to
    drive that a. Every thing you buy changes it to a higher dollar car.
    It's a lot of fun to buid your own also. Have a welder run the beads
    after you copy another working x member and tack it togather.

3. Chassis Engeneering makes a very nice X member,,,,I used on on my pickup,,,HRP

[​IMG]

4. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I used the Dagels X member and brake setup only because I have a C4, but if you can't or don't want to fab one yourself I have to say that Vendetta's actually looks better than the Dagel.....................which I put in mine...............and looks more period.....very, very nice
    Vendetta!

Your comment about being "overkill"..................it's not at all! A stock Model A frame is pretty much like a "wet noodle" and if you only box the rails and do not support the frame with an X it will be twist..........with the torque of the motor, suspension, etc. You didn't say what kind of Model A you have, Coupe, Sedan, Pickup..........are you going to put metal floors in to stiffen the body or leave the wooden floors in, this will make a big difference on how the frame/body will react to torque and suspension loading.
    I assume that when you say mild 302 you will be talking about around 300hp, about the same HP that my flatty will be putting out. Just boxing the frame and putting a single crossmember for the tranmission would be very much an "underkill".

IMHO

Attached Files:

5. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Thanks for all the imput!

As for tacking things in place, yeah, that was kind of the plan. When it comes to patching a bush hog or lift arms on a farm tractor, I can handle that. But my welds look like crap and I wouldn't trust them on something really important.

Rick

6. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

What was the cost on the Chassis Engineering x-member?

7. DeepSouthRick

DeepSouthRick

Hey, I think I bought my Vega box mount from you!

Tell me about your cross-member!

Rick