Register now to get rid of these ads!

Whats the best thing to use on pick Running boards

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mikebolk, May 29, 2008.

1. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

Hey what is the best thing to use on pick up running boards... i was thinking that bed liner coating would be good does anyone have any experience with this? or any other suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. povertyflats

povertyflats
    from Missouri

I bought new perfect Ford factory authorized running boards for my truck from Rock Valley auto Parts in IL or you can still buy the corrugated vinyl in sheets 3 feet wide or 4 feet wide and it is about $15 a running foot. Comes in different style for your specific need. Restoration supply in Escondido, Ca has it and their website is www.restorationstuff.com

3. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

4. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

I used the pick-up truck bedliner on some before and it held up well. I just did the box of my F100 with the Herculiner brand. It seems like it's VERY tough plus would have a good 'bite' to it.

Jay

5. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

i was thinking of some kind of coating... the running boards them self are very solid... is that stuff your talking about kinda like grip tape? im not to sure i know what you are referring too

6. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

7. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

ok i think i might go bedliner stuff...

8. chebby

chebby

on the truck i'm building, im painting them and cutting long strips of that tape down sand paper like thing and running maybe 3/4 inch strips, and probably fabbing up some square alum steps so people dont step on the actual running board to hop in the truck,

9. rtp

rtp

Herculiner,Roll on orbrush on . Wallmart had it at one time,Tractor supply, Northern tool and equipment. Pretty tough stuff. Got it on
    the plywood deck of my camera crane truck {sets out side all the time} for over 3 years color fades after year or so {black to dark
    grey} .Also on running boards and other steps on truck good grip !
    rain mud snow no sliping. Just follow directions on can. Nasty stuff
    if you get it on you . Has to wear off. Wont wash off!!!!
    Dont get it in hair I lost a beard that way ! hahahaha .
    rtp

10. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

what kinda prep should i do on the boards before i use the bed liner stuff?

11. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

The can first recommends sanding with 100 grit- then wiping down with Xylol. At least for the HErculiner stuff.
    I painted over mine and it looks great!

Here's a picture of my bed- did the sides and back of tailgate a few weeks ago. It's seen lots of use since then but not a scratch on it- just lots of dirt.
    The running boards that just happen to be in there in that photo are off my '39 and are about to get recovered with original Ford style rubber. At almost $200 for the covers I kinda wish I'd just coated those too.

[​IMG]

Jay

12. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

any pictures of your running boards coated?

13. ditz

ditz

I am considering Rino liner on my F-1 running boards. Bottom and top. I have seen it on a couple of nice street rods and it looked great. My only fear is getting it off if I ever need too.:eek:

14. duste01

duste01

I'm quick becoming a Vortex fan myself. Its not just a liner, it insulates and shields from heat as well as protects. It drys as quick as it goes on without allot of chemical voc and its tintable to match many different colors. Its a sufface building material that takes really good place of the thermal mats you lay down inside your vehicles. Good stuff, in the doors, in the roof, in the floor in the firewall, under the truck, on the rockers, on the running boards, on and on and on, on your driveway, in your garage. More flexible and durable than the other roll on or spray on liners.

15. Alienbaby17

Alienbaby17

Nah, that was on the Dodge B2B in my avatar. I've since traded it off...

Jay

16. 1931S/X

1931S/X
    from nj

i have to make a new set for my essex and im going to use the bedliner stuff. that has been the plan anyway.

17. As nice as your truck looks in your post..THE BEST thing you could do is paint them same as the truck and put some step plates on it.Why ruin a nice truck with a "shortcut"like bedliner.?????????????????????????????

18. mikebolk

mikebolk
    from nj

im not lookin for a short cut i want something thats gunna hold up well and have some good grip to it...

19. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

That's why I like the wing-walk compound....it's designed to be walked on!