Register now to get rid of these ads!

What should NOT be chopped!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Billybobdad, May 29, 2008.

1. Adam D.

Adam D.

to me it all depends on the chop.... ive seen chopped shoeboxes that look like shit, but most of em look good. I love traditional chops, but also really dig the dramatic chops, its all in the general flow of the car.....

oh yeah.... i HATE tall Ts:D

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

3. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Idk about a chopped Nomad, but destroying one like they did on Tool Time™ was whack.

I do however know someone who knows someone that chopped a schoolbus. Like a real deal 80 passenger school bus.

4. shane pelkey

shane pelkey

94 acura ha haaaaaaaaa

5. happy hoppy

happy hoppy

I think a talented artist-bodyman can pull off a good looking chop on ALMOST anything.

BUT!

I have to say about 85% of the chops on the road today look like ass.

just because you can does not mean you should, not eveyone has the eye for the correct flow of a rear window or the slant of a B piller, one should know when to put the tools away.

that being said, no coupe should be chopped, thats why God made sedans.

6. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

let's just sum up everyone's opinion to no car should be chopped.

With that said the only thing that bothers me is when somebody cuts up an ultra rare car other than that do what you will to your car I don't have to like it.

7. Seems the question could be put two ways-what looks ugly when chopped, and what's too valuable to chop. If the question were put in the first context, I would agree that anything 55-56ish and later doesn't look too good, with a few exceptions. Some early 60s boats look kool if done right. In the second context, I personally would never chop an antique Rolls, Duesenberg, Hispano-Suiza, Cord, any of those gazillion dollar rich-man's toys. Not because I'm scared of cutting up a valuable car, but because I figure I can sell it off to Leno or someone like that and buy a whole bunch of bad-ass rides to chop!

8. Haunyawk

Haunyawk

I'm thinking anything 54 and newer should not be chopped, but I'd love to see pics of guys who tried, Be great to be proved wrong.

9. SpadezTX13

SpadezTX13

Chop what you want screw what others think...

It's your car do what you think is best for it. Right now I am debating whether or not to keep my '55 Buick bone stock because the movie scene here has paid well for it in it's current condition. Then the other opinion is to make it "My" car, lower it, radial tires, four wheel disks and add some speed parts like offey intakes and hooker headers, red candy metal flake paint, fresh new interior with some comfort upgrades.... like seat belts, tint, air conditioning and at least an fm radio.

Hollywood say's hell no... I say fuck yeah! But then again Hollywood pays well so who know what will finally happen.

10. turdytoo

turdytoo

Who knows how many people make chopped 32-34 Ford coupes and Vickies? Not many build unchopped versions and those are generally a lot more money. So what?

11. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I didn't realize there were so many rules to having fun with cars. :rolleyes:

While the '62 Chevy in question is pretty well ruined, I don't think you can lay down the law about what looks good or not before you start. It ALWAYS depends on how well you deliver the finished product.

That said, I'm actually adding 2" of roof to my '57 Chrysler.. damn thing is too low. ;)

12. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Unlikely.

How about a list of stupid post topics... you know, that way if I come up with a stupid idea too, I won't get flamed...

Let me start...:rolleyes:

13. kustombypook

kustombypook

I agree 100%. There are definately more bad chops than good chops out there. It's not so much the car being chopped, but the person doing the chop.

14. Tony

Tony

Well said, and the last bit was funny too :)
    Every topic regarding what we do is nothing more than personal preference. Not everyone will have the same outlook so it's pretty crazy to try and get a real answer to stuff like this...just different thought's which i think is cool and can respect.

15. Kiwifruit

Kiwifruit

Thats easy... any car thats already been chopped well:D

16. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

go look at the MoonGlow now thats perfection!!!!

[​IMG]

17. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

tell that to Bob K...

18. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

I think this is a shorter list: What should be chopped?

19. Marcy

Marcy

Yeah, those chopped '60s cars look terrible....[​IMG];)

20. mtlcutter

mtlcutter

I think that anything can be chopped. you just have to do it right . like if your going to chop a '62-'65 or so chevy truck the just don't look right with a lot taken out but you chop it a inch or so then it is just right. But you take too much out of too much car it looks like shit.

21. chopper99

chopper99
    Member Emeritus

I think ALL cars should be chopped.

22. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

anything in the 70's and 80's looks like ass chopped. i remember seeing cars done during that era of show cars that really made me cringe.

23. ALindustrial

ALindustrial

anything after '54... imo expecially 2001 grand ams....

24. Road Runner

Road Runner

Anything that is in good original shape!!
    Ge'head and cut up whatever was neglected and left for scrap and rust.
    Makes no sense to screw with something that survived the years.
    If old cars could talk and bite....

25. johnnyfrank54

johnnyfrank54
    from las vegas

depends,are you doing it just for the sake of doing it or do you have a GOOD reason. kinda like the cliff thing mom all ways talked about!

26. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

1959 through 1960 GM hardtop coupes. same goes for '61 bubbletops, too.

1960 ford starliners.

pretty much any big 1959-60 hardtop car.

27. 61 and 62 Fords. They should NEVER be chopped :eek:
    [​IMG]

28. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

Zactly.
    Too many people chop a car simply because they think it will instantly make it cool and put little thought beyond that, rather than doing it because they are seriously trying to improve the shape & balance of all the elements.

Most anything COULD be improved with a chop, but most chops are hardly an improvement.

29. T-Time

T-Time
    from USA

But the burning question is whether or not your T coupe is chopped.