Register now to get rid of these ads!

65 Plym Belevdere Afx "temptation"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.P.'S TOYZ, Feb 19, 2008.

1. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

2. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

This thread is freakin gold.

3. waydar

waydar

I don't think I ever raced at the double h track. And I don't remember about the other, but seem to remember Atlanta Speed Shop...? Just too many years ago. I remember that Dyno Don was pitted next to us that weekend.

A funny thing there that weekend...we had the 20' travel trailer with us and we were in confort. So my wife makes a big pan of spaghetti and as the aroma drifted thru the pits...well we ended up feeding about 20 or so from around the pits that night. The smell was just to much for the baloney sandwiches they were eating. We had a great time. I remember the Anderson Bros were there with their big fuel dragster...oh such memories. Thanks for asking.

waydar

4. waydar

waydar

Temptation con't.

After the time in Florida, it was nice to get home to TX and spend Christmas with my folks.Well folks...it goes downhill from here. I get a phone call from a friend that the shop where my car and truck was stored was locked, with a sign on the door..."Do not enter under penalty of law!!!" yadda yadda...the IRS had swooped down and taken over the shop. Well the race car being stored there technically belonged to the IRS I guessed....along with all my tools, tires, fuel, nitro, etc. Hey...they're not getting the car. NO!!!

About 3 am we slip into the yard, and then into my shop around back and start getting the stuff together. I didn't go thru the door with the sign so I guess I was okay huh? I had a new drum (55 gallons of alcohol) that I had to hand pump into the tank on the truck. How loud is a hand pump stuck in a barrel at 3 in the morning. My wife kept saying shuuuuuu you're gonna get us caught. I didn't have to fire up the car to load it as we pushed it outside and lined up and used the electric winch to pull it on the truck. I know the winch could be heard for blocks around... Got everything loaded and slipped to the gate making sure no cars were coming and out we went.

Back to my parents house and gathered our clothes, whatever we could grab and headed out to Don Hardy's in Floydada. I knew I didn't want to be around when daylight made it's arrival along with the 'Suits' at the shop. We were a week early going to Don's but we had to go. We were gone in a flash. We were not pulling our travel trailer.

Just before we arrived home from FL, the trailer tongue let go, and the front of the trailer just crashed down breaking the inside paneling, the front windows, the floor, and bending the outside metal front and sides....not a pretty site. The hitch sits on angles that run back under the trailer and come out the front. The welds on both of the front angles had broken. Only thing holding it together was back under the unit on each side.

Next morning we are at the dealer in Dallas area. They looked and said you have the wrong kind of hitch on that truck....it was just a welded plate and a ball on the back of the bed. You should have a spring affair like the mobile home movers have, so it can move up and down. Maybe so I told them, but your people installed the hitch, so you're to blame and I want it fixed. We left it with them and sued the company. We settled after 3 years when they admitted it was their fault.

We make it to Don's and he tells us the shop where the work will be done is at Matador, 40 miles away. So we take the car over there and as we're staying in Floydada, we ride the Harley back and forth. It was freezing cold as only it can be on the high plains of Texas. We always had a strong north wind to contend with every trip.

The cold weather didn't help with the repair work as it was just bone chillin cold in the shop. Also made for a hard time when the work was completed and time to paint. Anyway Don and Kelly did a great job on the car and we finally were on our way to the WinterNationals.

I hope I'm not boring anyone??

waydar

5. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Hell no!.....
    This kinda stuff is GOLD around here.....please continue!:D

6. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

I've gotten more and more interested as it goes on. Have you considered writing a book? haha.

7. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Waydar, Thanks for all your great recollections. It sure sounds like you led a very interesting life as a racer. Keep them coming !

41 Dave

8. wvenfield

wvenfield

Wayne, not to worry. The stories are great. They are much appreciated.

9. waydar

waydar

Temptation con't.

While working on the car at the WinterNat'ls a man comes over to talk and asked if we'd be interested in some match races. Sure I said...He said my name is C.J. "Pappy" Hart and I run Lions Dragway in Long Beach, come talk to me and gave me a card. As it looked like we might stay for awhile, we got an apartment in Fullerton and that was home for some time.

One Sunday morning I rolled the race car out in the parking lot, we had a garage for the car (cost extra).... I shot some benzine in the tubes and it just fired and stopped, fired and stopped....after several tries and a man comes out and takes the squirt can and says move over. He said get in and start it when I say so...ok...he does his thing and I hit it and it roars to life. Sea level had made a difference with the pill I had in it at the time. He said I'm Howard Jerome from Clay Smith Cams and I live nearby. He gave me his card and said to look him up.

We go over to his shop and we discuss what would make the car run better. He said right off I needed a Joe Hunt Mag. Joe's shop was in Watts, where the 65 Watts Riots happened....anyway we get the mag, now we need to grind you a special cam and we'll put rollers on top of it. Have C&T hard chrome the crank, put a Milodon oil system in place. We had a pan with the deep sump that the tie rod went thru in a tube. Had to pull the tie rod to get the pan off. Seemed like that was a regular thing checking the bearings just to be safe.

We became good friends with Howard and his girlfriend and had many good dinners and times out in the area. One night while racing at Lions we made a run and as we were pulling back on the return road, they announced that Shirley Shahan was ready to make a run. My wife wanted to see her run so we stopped and she ran between the truck and car without thinking....well she hit the tow rope and took a bad head first tumble on the gravel drive. Skinned her up pretty good and broke 2 fingers on her right hand.

Ambulance came and got her, but I still had 2 more races to complete. Howard's girlfriend went in the ambulance with my wife and said we could come over when we were finished. It must have been about 1 or 2 when we got to the hospital. Nothing had been done to her hand. Finally a doc came in and set her fingers and put a cast on her hand and arm up to her elbow, with a 90° bend at the elbow.

We finally get to the apartmant, getting light by this time. My wife looked like hell with a big cast on her arm, her lips cut, nose and cheeks skinned, black under both eyes, her pants legs cut up the front by the medics to patch up her knees and legs. The door bell rings and it's the cops. They said they had a report of a fight at the apartment as they were shinning their flashlight up and down on my wife. She just had to be one in the fight, right.

It took nearly an hour of explaining what happened out at the race track before they finally went away. Seems there were a couple of Hells Angels that lived in that same complex, and they had the fight with someone. Our paths would later cross again.

This was Easter Weekend and we were to fly back to TX to my parents house....so walking thru the airport, my wife hobbling along with her bumps and bruises and cast on her arm...well I had to be a wife beater deluxe in the minds of all that saw us. Neither of us like to fly and her being beat up didn't help any...we head into Love Field, just touch the ground and the tail drags as we shoot up skyward and circle for several minutes.

We land after bouncing 2 or 3 times and running out of runway, we make a sharp left turn at the north end fence still moving pretty fast, and almost drag the wingtip on the runway. So we stop and set for what seemed like a long time. Someone spoke up wondering why we were stopped??? Without thinking I said the pilot had to change his pants after that landing...everyone just broke up laughing and we finished our flight in a better mood. I later learned a small aircraft was sitting on the runway and we did a flyover to avoid a crash. Whew!!!! We would still be burning.......

Con't later

waydar

10. waydar

waydar

The other night I was watching Stacy's Garage on the Speed Channel and he did a segment on the recreation of the old Bill Flynn Yankee Peddler car, it really brought back some great memories... I worked and raced out of Branstner's with Bill. Anybody see this piece?

waydar

11. femadman

femadman

Lastest Update On Hubert From Sol Stuart

Hubert's son Allen carried him home from the hospital late
    yesterday afternoon. I talked to Hubert about 10 minutes ago and he is feeling fine...still a little sore...glad to be home...Sounded strong on the phone...Said he had a ball with the nurses at the hospital....

12. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

this thread is incredible!!!!!thanks wayne!!!! i have a great friend named dick loehr, he raced for ford...did you ever know him?? he died week before last...been fighting cancer for several years. incredible guy. he told me about the time when everyone was hitting the 200mph wall and just couldn't get enough traction to break thru. he said they went back to his shop and made a new set of headers only this time they turned them up. he said they used to be pointed staight down at the ground. the next time out he busted 200mph. please tell us more....this is too good!!!

reggie

13. waydar

waydar

Reggie....I'm sorry about your friend Dick passing and yes I did meet him in Detroit and a few other places. A great individual and he will be missed by many.

waydar

Temptation con't.

Earlier I mentioned the Hell's Angels. They had a party in the patio every night, and some of them got really wild. Every piece of pool furniture ended up in the pool, and anything else that wasn't tied or bolted down. About 3 weeks before we left for Easter, every morning when we opened our front door, someone would take the flags around the property and cross them over our door. This went on for a week or two...then big flower pots that were huge, I mean 4' wide and 3 or 4' tall and with dirt in them probably 400 lbs. These big pots would be setting on our little porch, and we'd have to call the office to get them moved so we could get out.

Then one night we're watching TV and crash.... we heard glass shatter. It was the apartment next door and it was the back sliding glass door. Someone tossed a big piece of cement inside the apartment. They just missed our place by one apt. I know it was meant for us. A couple of days later we leave for TX and Easter at my parents.

Fast forward a week and we get back from Easter in TX. We lived in a townhouse and the bedrooms were upstairs...so as I went down the stairs, 4 of the Hells Angels just walked into our apt. I thought oh shit!!! what now? My wife heard us came downstairs, the leader of the group said they wanted to apologize for what they had been doing to us the past few weeks.

My wife and I are looking at each other...apologize? This was not their way. I really thought we would just be sticking on the end of a switchblade(s). Seems someone was calling the cops on them every night and because we didn't get out and pal around the complex, it just had to be us. So what changed their minds??? Well, we were away in TX for a week and they had the cops every night, so they knew it couldn't have been us. Butter wouldn't melt in their mouths. They said if we needed anything, anything at all, just consider it a done deal. From that day on they were all friends for life. One of the couples moved out and no more cop calls. We were happy campers and we all lived happily ever after.

waydar

14. What he said....Loving the info on this thread :D

15. This thread is priceless. I never get tired of reading this stuff!

16. waydar

waydar

Temptation con't.

While I was in Detroit at Branstner's, some people from Canada brought a Hemi Dodge in to be blueprinted and just spiced up a little. They were going to be in town a few days and then wanted the car delivered back to Canada and their dealership. On a Saturday night one of them said I'm taking all of you out for dinner. Okay, I'm always ready for that.

Well 6 or 7 got in their car and we drive to downtown Detroit and someone decides to stop at the "Brass Rail"....there's not a parking place within 5 miles of it. Easier to park at the Super Bowl or at the Daytona 500. Just was not any place to park....must have went around the block 10 times and still no one moved and the parking garage sign said "Full"...

So the next time around the driver just pulls up on the sidewalk and kills the engine. We're all telling him you can't park on the sidewalk. He pays no attention to up and gets out saying "Come On"....so as we get out the parking attendant from the garage we parked in front of, comes out and tells us we can't park there on the sidewalk. Driver takes him to the side and puts a C Note in his hand and I hear...Yes sir your car will be just fine and I'll take good care of it till you get back.....enjoy your evening sir.

We go inside and have a grand time watching the floor show, them having drinks, I don't drink, it's Cokes for me....but it was a great nite out in Detroit. When we head outside the car is there right where it was left and the attendant is leaning against the bumper and hood. We get in the car and this attendant goes out in the street and stops traffic that's bumber to bumper and lets us out. So just guessing, I'd say money talks louder then mere words.

The race car is finished and ready to go home. They did some hokey pokey on the paperwork so the Customs people wouldn't get a large amount of money on the tax rate thing....papers said it was just an oil change and a tune up and was very cheap.

Bud (forgot his last name) asked me if I wanted to ride the 100 plus miles up and back to deliver the car. Sure, why not? So the car is on the trailer and we're off to the Customs border crossing. Guy comes out and crawls around on the trailer looking the car over and motioned us to be on our way.

The day is getting late and the air is downright cold . Me being from Texas, it was freezing. We make it to the dearlership and get the car unloaded and head back toward the States....we're driving along in the middle of nowhere and Bud says we're nearly out of gas.... haven't seen a store or gas station for miles......crossing this long bridge I feel the surge and cough, and we're coasting with the engine dead, hoping to get off the bridge. We barely make the end and coast over and park on the shoulder.

Cold as a cast iron commode and we're stranded on the side of the highway with no gas...and no gas can, and no idea where to get any. We're standing there wondering what to do next when a big 18 wheel car hauler pulls up and stops. He ask if we needed a ride so we jump in his truck that we hope has a heater.

About 60 miles later he pulls over to a small gas station and drops us off. At least it was warm inside and there were people. We tell the store clerk our truck is out of gas back up the road and we need some help getting gas back. He calls his buddy and he comes down and says sure you buy my gas and we're good to go.

Guy has a 58 or 59 four-door Ford that was used and put up wet. The back door window was gone, just a hole where it used to be, no cover, nothing....can you guess who got to ride in the back seat? We finally after what seemed like hours, made it back to the truck, flashers still blinking. Told him to wait as we might need a jump start as the battery might be low. Got the gas poured in and the truck started.....a Royal Mountie drives up and stops. We told him about running out of gas and he said yeah he saw us and watched the whole thing and waited till we returned. He could have come over and offered help??? Boy was I ever glad to see the US Border, as we drove back into Detroit. I was just happy to be back in the USA where there was a warm stove.

Con't later.....

waydar

17. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

This would seriously make for a good book,hell it would make a great movie Wayne.

18. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Heres another shot of your car Wayne.

Attached Files:

19. waydar

waydar

Wow...thanks, a picx I didn't have. I snagged it and it's in my file now.
    Anyone else with picxs of my car, I'd sure appreciate you posting them as mine were all lost when my house burned. My Mom & Dad had a few but not very many.

Thanks again

waydar

20. VonDad

VonDad

I've just spent another totally wonderful hour on the HAMB. I tell ya this sure beats the hell outa what color wheels should I have on my ride type crap.

Thanks Wayne and hope you get a chance to make it to the HAMB Drags at MoKan this fall. Love to meetcha and shake your hand.

And ditto we really love when guy what been there and done more'n alla that sit and give us a look into the sport and cars we all love.

Thanks again
    VonDad

21. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

Wayne,here's a shot after you sold the car.

Attached Files:

22. bobhoneybrook

bobhoneybrook

Brilliant Stuff Wayne I have devoured every word you have written, I am old enough to remember when the S/S and A/FX were the Kings. (I got my fix from whatever US magazines were available in Australia and I got to drive a '64 S/S Plymouth Lightweight to boot.) The racing was as good as anything ever has been, to have been part of it would have been a tremendous thrill. You are a real Living Legend and they are thin on the ground.

Please keep writing! Your memories are Priceless!

23. ****Thread Of The Year.....So Far****​

24. waydar

waydar

My goodness, y'all are making me blush...I haven't done anything special to deserve all the nice comments on this message board. This is a picx of one we made to give out at the races. We had a pile made and I think this is the only one left. I'll add to the tale of the Temptation as I have more time. Y'all all take care

waydar

Attached Files:

25. waydar

waydar

My goodness, y'all are making me blush...I haven't done anything special to deserve all the nice comments on this message board. This is a picx of one we made to give out at the races. We had a pile made and I think this is the only one left. I'll add to the tale of the Temptation as I have more time. Y'all all take care

waydar

Attached Files:

26. waydar

waydar

Hey...sorry for the double post. Don't have all this under control yet.

waydar

27. Vance

Vance
    from N/A

Waydar, you may not think what you've done was all that special but we do.

I'll bet that most if not all who read this thread are hanging on every word and impatiently waiting for more. This stuff is hot rod gold.

Years ago I produced an award-winning public access TV series featuring our local strip and I would have killed for a guy like you to be a feature interview. It simply doesn't get any better then a guy from the past telling his stories with no ego getting in the way. This is the best.

Ryan, this tread MUST be archived for future generations... or at least so some of us can go back and re-live the past the way it really was.

Vance

28. ORGANGRINDER

ORGANGRINDER

ditto...i know i'm waiting for more. thanks wayne

29. waydar

waydar

Temptation con't.

During one of the times we were at Lions maybe the East meets West Showdown, Tom 'Mongoose' Mc Ewen was running Roger Hardcastles coupe. I believe Locasta was at the wheel.....'Mongoose' won the first round but in the process pulled a valve and had to shut off early but coasted to the win. I was sitting there when Tom asked if I would stand in for the Hemi-Cuda? He said if I would run him one time he'd give me a hundred bucks. So okay we'll run the coupe....he takes a hundred out of his pocket and tears it in half....by now we have a good crowd standing around watching and catching every word, as only a bunch of drag racers are known to do.

Tom said if I finished the race he'd give me the other half of the bill. My wife Sherry stood by and watched all this take place then she said....Tom, "little people do little things" well everybody just fell over laughing, and left Tom standing there in the dust, looking for some help from anyone. He just didn't know what to say and looked like he just had a bucket of ice water dumped on him....

Anyway, I made the stand in run for the Hemi Cuda, but during the take off I got into one of the big wheelies I usually did and drifted over the center line and had to lift, as did Locasta, I had beat him off the line. Because I had strayed over the line I was disqualified, and the run went to the coupe as it should have.

As we returned to the pits Mongoose reached in his pocket and without much fanfare gave me the other half of the $100 and just slipped off into the crowd. I wonder if he still remembers that incident. To make it even better, a crew was filming a segment for the BBC to be aired later. I didn't know who they were at the time but had occassion to meet them later.

My wife Sherry was under the car changing oil I think, and just as this film crew walked by, she slid out and stood up and back then, not many ladies where turning wrenches in the pits. These fellows were having a hot dog and a drink and when they saw her, they just threw their food and drinks on the ground and started filming. I asked when and where I would be able to watch it and was told probably never... as they were from the BBC and it would not aire in the US....sigh!!!! Sooooo, I never got to see the end results.
    That night at Lions my little 5'2" crew chief gave the big 'Mongoose' a whack he probably remembered for some time. Those of you that knew and remember Tom, probably know what I mean. Con't later.

waydar
    mailto:[email protected]

30. waydar

waydar

More Temptation Ramblings.

After I bought the truck from Hayden Proffit and drove it back to Texas, I started working to make it more drivable...you know buckets, A/C, better dash radio...etc. I installed 2 aircraft landing lights under the front bumper....such a load had to use a starter relay so as to not burn up the wires. These lights were 8" in dia and were bad.

I turned both lights about 45° off to the side of the highway...then as we were driving in the country we could watch for wildlife on the sides of the road and in the pastures...that also helped us stay awake. The time comes and we're on our way to Calif....everything was going great until we reached the CA border check station. The Trooper said for me to come inside....so I go in and he ask for my drivers license. No problem, and I hand it to him.

He said you can get this back when you remove the driving lights and put them away. He didn't want them disconnected....he said off. And he said it would be a good idea to remove the little license plate on the front....I know you've seen them before. The little rebel guy saying "Forget Hell" with his Confederate Flags crossed. He said you will not have a windshield after you drive a ways and stop for coffee. I took him at his word and removed it along with the driving lights.

With my drivers licenses in his hand he walked me back to my truck and crawled up on top. Said he had never seen a car like that and just wanted to take a look. He got down and said he wasn't trying to be ugly or mean, he just didn't want to see us have any trouble in CA. Shook hands and wished us well and waved so long....we drove off into the setting sun.
    Attached is a picx of the back of the car and the rolled treatment we did.

More as we go...con't.

waydar

Attached Files: