Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another MPG question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, May 29, 2008.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

I have a 41 ford PU with a 59-283 chevy 4 barrel carb /350 tranny in it. I beleive a 58 or 59 chevy rearend not sure of the gearing on it.
    What kind of gas mileage should I be getting on this truck? if my odometer is correct I am only seeing about 12 MPG! what can I do to get better mileage out of it ?

2. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Find out what gears you are running and change to a more highway friendly set if you don't have them already, replace or repair any worn drivetrain parts, this is kind of a vauge question so its hard to give advice but if you switched to a 700r4 tranny you would get an increase in mileage.

3. FoMoCo_MoFo

FoMoCo_MoFo

if you want good gas milage buy a honda or ride a bicycle...

Jesus all this MPG whining on this board is fucking killing me! it's a fucking V-8! it's going to suck gas...

4. bwiencek

bwiencek

What engine RPM at cruise are you running?

First thing is to make sure all your components are in top working order... Assuming the ignition and everything is up to snuff and there are no vacuum leaks here's what I'd do:

Start by advancing the base timing or recurving the distributor for best timing (efficency) at cruise - usually bumping 3-4* up from stock will help

Next lean out the carb main jetting for best lean cruise, then lean out the accelerator pump (smaller squirters, less agressive cam) to prevent going over-rich at throttle transition (you want just barely enough to eliminate the lean spot - otherwise it's just unburned fuel that goes out the tailpipe...)

Make sure the power valve is not coming on at cruise (check vacuum - only applies to a holley carb.)

Make sure the tires are aligned and inflated for least rolling resistance. And when you're buying a new set opt for radials over "traditional" bias ply and a highway tread over a mudder tread (ok that's excessive, but low rolling resitance makes a difference - remember we're only discussing MPG impacts...)

Remove any aerodynamic junk - roof racks, visors, etc. - anything to clean up the aero profile of an old non-aero truck at 70 mph will help

Adjust your driving style (no jackrabbit starts, coast to stoplights/stop signs, etc. - read the hypermiler stuff - some are valid methods - some are downright scary...)

Lockup torque converters (TH350C) or an overdrive will help too but that requires changing the trans out to make it work - it may or may not pay off depending on the amount of work and expense it would take to fit on in your case...

5. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

All the above but what kind of carb? Most of what was said RE. carb only applies to Holleys as to pump cam etc.

6. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

First Im not whining! I am asking a question that we all are asking ourselfs whether you admit it or not! yes its a V8 but that dosent mean you cant get decent mileage out of it and enjoy more seat time in a car or truck and enjoy it!

7. Slide

Slide

Everything bwiencek said...

Also, if you have a Carter carb, they are notorious mpg killers. I know of several people (including myself) that picked up both power and economy by switching to a Holley or even an Edelbrock (which looks the same on the outside, but apparently different guts?)

As for gearing, you want to be cruising right around the bottom of the torque curve for the engine you're running. That means some people will get better MPG @ 2200 rpm vs. 1500 rpm!

In my experience, there are lots of little - mostly inexpensive - things that don't do a whole lot on their own, but the sum of all the parts is where you finally see results. And most of these things will not hurt the seat-of-the-pants power... many will increase it.

Also, my last car got noticeably better mpg on premium than reg. unleaded... so it really cost the same to run one or the other. That car (~3400 lbs + 355 SBC + Muncie 4-speed + 2.73's + ~28" rear tires) got 22.9 mpg @ 70mph.

8. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

it has a 600 cfm edelbrock carb (new) out of the box no adjustments. new pertronixs rebuilt distributor re-curved, stock motor for the most part bored 30 over no cam. not sure what the stall is on the converter.

9. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

They always told us to drive like you had a raw egg between your foot and the gas pedal. Keep it below 70 when cruising. Especially if you have a lower rear gear.

You didn't mention where you are driving. Big city with lots of traffic and stop and go? Rural area with lots of 60 mph cruising?

That's a big IF on the odometer being correct. I use the mile markers on the interstate roads to get an idea on how close I am. If you go 5 miles according to the mile markers and your odometer reads 3.5 then you may be doing better than you think.

I would think that a steady 65 MPH run on the interstate should get you into the upper teens on MPG. 75 MPH trying to keep up with the rest of the maniacs will drop it back a lot.

10. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Hokey
    Ass
    Mileage
    Board

11. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Calif, Los Angeles. stop and go as well as fwy driving.

12. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Not being independently wealthy, I've given up several cruises and such because it just plain costs too much to justify going so I personally think that mileage is an appropriate topic for guys that want to drive and not just go on virtual cruises. Make fun of me if you want but it's a fact of life for me.

13. Buzznut

Buzznut

You DO realize that you're bringing down a s_ _t storm upon yourself by "whining" about mileage and gas prices here... :( Oh wait...it's already happening.

As far as mileage goes, obviously running gears closer to the low 3's or high 2's will help, recamming with a lower profile...smaller grind will help, and retiming and rejetting will help. A good mechanic could get 20 mpg out of that engine...or better. It all depends on your skill set, the friends you know and how much you're willing to spend.

I will give you one BIG piece of advice though: make small changes. Don't change everything at once, make one change at a time and reevaluate after each change.

14. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

It is a perfectly reasonable topic, but the annoying thing about it is how many threads there are on it. It would be the same if 5 different people had threads going on rebuilding a flathead at the same time.

Getting them best mileage out of a car/motor is a pretty simple subject and has been covered here plenty in the last few weeks and I'm sure the last few years. The info here is all good but none of it is new - do a search.

The fact is, as expensive as gas is we all probably want to stretch a few more mpg out of our cars so we can drive them more often. That doesn't change basic HAMB etiquitte about posting the same topic over and over.

Proper Procedure:

1.) Come up with question on subject.
    2.) Search HAMB and other sources for answer
    3.) IF and only IF step two has been excercised and no satisfactory answer has been found OR more specific/detailed information is needed, Post question on HAMB - preferably noting that you have searched but you have not found ___________

Most people:

1.) Spontaneously think of something
    2.) Post it on HAMB

This goes for any msg board, not just the HAMB.

15. BangerMatt

BangerMatt

Isn't freeway driving in Los Angeles stop and go? :D:rolleyes:

16. Mopar34

Mopar34

Your engine is not a high hp pumper, I'd add a TH200 4R. Same gearing as a 700R4, same size as a TH350.

17. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

If thats the case this site should be a search engine ONLY! Im sure that every subject, topic and variable thought has been addreesed here at one time or another.

18. Buzznut

Buzznut

Exactly...give that man a beer!!

19. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

OK, then we'll make this quick so we can wrap this up

Tune it up including a distributor refresh and put a 2bbl on to fix gassy crap you spew with a 12mpg holley on a tiny motor.

If you're not cruising 1800-2200, you should be. Overdrive it or regear it. The search function will help you figure out either.

Add free flow exhaust, headers and true duals with low restriction mufflers. And radials, they roll freer.

Do a real compression/bleeddown test. SBCs run for 100,000 miles past their sweet spot and get shitty mileage in old age. If that's your motor (and it might be from 12mpg cylinder wall washdown), rebuild it cause mechanical wear cannot be compensated for.

If you're still not getting the mileage you need, then your expectations are unreasonable. Can we get back to hot rodding now?

20. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

No, many questions have not surprisingly enough. Sometimes specific information can be hard to find

But fuck dude, there have been like 5 topics on this in the last week. There is probably another one on the front page right now.

You are just too lazy to even look.

21. Buzznut

Buzznut

Well, the truth is that some of these guys aren't really able to figure this stuff out for themselves. If we don't educate then how do we keep the hobby going? The guy with a 350/350 setup doesn't realize that he can benefit from the same tech as the guy with a 305/700R setup. Yes, they are different in many respects, but the basics still apply. Maybe, just maybe a moderator or really knowledgeable tech guy could make a sticky thread (since this is a timely topic) that incorporates all these threads and also offers some basic, well thought out, well written gas milaege tech advice. Then, we can refer these guys to that thread and move on... Would solve the whining on both ends to some degree and would allow the HAMB to offer even more great information. Also, THOSE kinds of threads start to generate OUTSIDE links from other websites when the info is considered viable and expert, therefore boosting traffic and adding even more vendor value to the HAMB.

22. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

I think this is a fairly relevant post. It is at least in reference to an older car that shoudl rightfully be getting better mileage than it is. Fairly light car, smallish V-8. Should get better.

A search of the subject on mileage would probably only yield the other mileage threads in which we are discussing Hondas and Toyotas.

For some damned reason...

23. TRuss

TRuss

I thought 12mpg sounded pretty reasonable for such a truck.

24. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

If a whupped 348 with Tri-power in a 59 Chevy with a th350 and 3.55 gears gets 11 I would expect more from this setup.

Definitely need to knwo the gears and the exact miles. Use a GPS...

25. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

26. PunkAssGearhead88

PunkAssGearhead88
    from So Cal

Nobody has mentioned taller tires, you live in L.A. there is a ton of used tire shops, go test out how the truck acclerates, handles, looks with a taller tire in the rear and mainly in this case engine RPM'S on the fwy. If you like em keep em for a little bit or invest in new ones. A 235/70/15 is actually a pretty tall common size tire you shouldnt have problems finding (if you are running 15's wich im assuming). Besides that I would say f*ck the impatient assholes in the shiny new Euro cars behind you when you take off from a red light, act like every stop sign or red light you take off from there is bored cop next to you, that will definately help increase MPG.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Who made you guys the Hard Core Hot Rodding Thread Police? If you don't like the topic, or aren't going to contribute to it, why are you wasting the precious bandwidth you act like you're personally invested in?

As for the question: Lots of good info so far. I'd second going to a 2-bbl carb. What intake are you running? And also, what are the cam specs?
    I'm getting a little under 17mpg in my '62 Suburban with a new low-horse crate engine, untuned Edelbrock 600cfm carb, small-diameter Rams horn manifolds, dual exhaust with an X-pipe, 4spd manual overdrive with .73:1 final drive, 3.55 gears, tall tires and a front end that's out of alignment. Also have an open-element air cleaner, and 4-hole spacer on the ancient C3B intake.

Your combo (though vague) gets about what I'd expect. Swap the rear gears, make sure the cam is what you need, a good intake, free-flowing exhaust. See about swapping to OD for the trans.

And, as lame as this might sound, try running synthetic oils in the pan, trans and rear.

-Brad

28. Buzznut

Buzznut

Love those 60's burbs...got any pictures?

29. Eagletucky

Eagletucky

Just finished up a 305/2004r combo, running a 2:41 rear from a 79"olds 98 in my 60 Buick.

20 MPG on the maiden voyage. I was reluctant about using a newer, overdrive trans, but I'm a believer!