Register now to get rid of these ads!

Gas Prices - Ouch, list good mileage cars

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boones, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 63ChevyII

63ChevyII

63 Chevy II, 194, 2sp powerglide, 1bbl carb, 3.08 rear,
    I get about 16 on average (lots of stop and go) and on the freeway I've gotten 24. I hear my mpg would be better with a 250....

I know a guy with a LS1/200r4 setup in his 67 Chevy II wagon. He gets 26 mpg on the freeway. If I had the money, that the route I'd go.

2. petebert

petebert

I want to get a POS 4 cylinder for driving to work. My brother got a early 80's Toyota for $100. Great thing about a car like that is, with the price of scrap you can just scrap it when it breaks.

3. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

I am payin' over US$8 per US gal. as are all the EU HAMBrs here.

Germany and Netherlands still have big traffic jams!

4. Bort62

Bort62
    BANNED

In all honesty, buying a new car to save on gas is generally a really poor choice.

Just as an example, if you have a car that gets 20 MPG and you replace it with one that gets 30 and cost you 5 grand, it will take you close to 80,000 miles to recoupe that 5g in fuel savings @ 4.00 a gallon.

So your situation has to be pretty extreme to make it actually worth it.

Some before mentioned false economy ;)

5. blacufo

blacufo

i put a 700r4 in my 65 chevy pickup SWB, with the stock 283 and 2 barrel i get low 20s on the highway.

6. old kid

old kid
    Member Emeritus
    from middle ga

bluto,
    where do you come up with this stuff?
    you've got the neatest junk on the whole board.
    dan

7. Busted Knuckles

Busted Knuckles

I agree with that post above, Bluto is always finding and showing us great stuff!

8. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

46 years of collecting....... willing to eat canned beans to be able to afford stuff. No kids, No house. And I never stop looking.

There are a lot of wonderful collections here on the HAMB. Many more than you could guess....... you just have to look around.

I'm just trying to get guys to go out and look. There is so much wonderful stuff out there lost.... and yes some may get good mileage.

9. endlssumr

endlssumr
    from San Diego

Well it is not Hamb friendly but it is not ricer friendly either. I like it that way. My daily is a 1979 Bobcat. The car was free!! Swapped the rear for a ford 9 inch that I narrowed and filled with 3.00 and a trac loc. Pulled the four speed and put in a 5.0 5 speed. Then pulled the tired 2.3 and swapped in a 2.3 blow through intercooled meth injected turbo engine. I get about 31 if I stay off of it. If I am on it I get 26mpg. I drive this car over 300 miles a week. I am sure I have passed some of you on the 15 freeway between Escondido and Temecula. It turns 2200 rpm at 80 mph and has saved me tons in gas over the past 5 years. Plus I can still beat the ricers all day long and I feel like I am on a more level playing field with them than just blowing them away with one of the V8's. I never get tired of the look I get when I pass anyone and the BOV gives them a whistle as I go by!

10. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

Yes I do REALLY want $1.50 gallon fuel for my 06 Duramax

11. pushrod_mike

pushrod_mike
    from Austin TX

Hell I'd take 2.50 or 3........I need to study the veggie oil choice now.....

12. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

If you drove in all the show that we do in Michigan then FWD is great. If its really deep ill drive the 4x4 but i didnt really need that this winter cause my wifes 06 grand prix drove in the snow just fine and gets 28 mpg.. Fuck tradition . with todays hi gas prices and a 60 mile a day round trip tradition only costs me money. I dont need to look cool to drive to work.
    Dave

13. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

FWD being great in the snow is a common misconception, sure, it gets good traction when "pulling", but when it slides, you have no steering.....grew up in Alaska, and a '68 Charger R/T was our YEAR ROUND daily driver.:p:D

I *heart* Bluto.....

14. wayfarer

wayfarer

I have a '64 beetle that I built for my wife, I just finished it. It has a '69 motor and gets over 35 MPG. It's a fun little car and I'll be taking it on some longer trips with gas mileage so high. Of course it's slammed on the ground. As for everyday, I drive a Subaru because it gets the best mileage I can get for an all wheel drive car.

15. metalshapes

metalshapes

I have some great pics of me playing in the Snow in my old RWD ( OT ) car. ( was also my Daily Driver )

Fuck Tradition?

Why are you here, then?

16. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Right on! grew up in the mountains of PA, never have I ever had a problem with RWD and snow... and FWD is worse in it if you know how to drive.

MPG reached it's peak in 87-88 then fell flat on it's face again. My Dakota sucks gas, especially for a mid sized truck with a 6. Probably gonna ride the bike more this summer. And maybe finally put a 2.3 in the Anglia.

17. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

That was my point on my wifes 93 Roadmaster wagon I posted above.
    It gets more than reasonable MPG and she loves it. She's safer in it, and can haul my 2 teenagers and their friends in comfort.
    Something that can't be done in any little FWD shitbox.

She'd rather skip going out to eat as often than part with that car! And that's why I love her!

18. fordtech

fordtech

I use a 79 Fairmont 2dr. Has a 200 six, auto trans, 2.73 gear. I get on average 24mpg and paid $500 for it. Went to tractor supply and put a $70 paint job on her and I'm happy with it. For what it's worth, I owned a 92 geo and hated every minute of it! It got 45 mpg but I felt like I was in a clown car in the damn circus!

19. LIMEY

LIMEY

Ken you need a small european diesel for best mileage.......thats the only way you'll notice the difference $$ in your pocket.

I hate being forced to drive shitty little cars i wouldn't touch given a choice, but with the fuel prices here we have no choice. As a result me & the wife both have small 1500cc diesel's that return 60mpg & better on a run, gives me more cash to buy fuel for the real car.

Kev.

20. :D this thread too will be closed soon... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

21. yblock292

yblock292

just bought a real nice 98 monte with a new v-6 crate motor, buddy bought it for his daughter didn't like it looked like an old persons car (me) got it for $3000 looks and drives like new and gets 26.5 mph.have never owned a car the got anywhere close to that.Plus its fun to drive and the stereo is great!

22. budd

budd

diesel smart car, i just took a trip from Vancouver island down to Springfield Oregon, out to Florance on the coast and back to the island, cost me $65, and dont think that little car is slow as i got a speeding ticket doing 76mph. it will do 85mph on flat ground.

23. Hellfish

Hellfish

My wife's diesel 98 VW Beetle gets 50-60mpg highway with the AC on. We drove from Chicago to Maryland on less than a tank of gas... with the A/C on full-blast!

24. My point is that you are buying and driving a car based on fear. The fear that you will be in an accident when the odds are that you will NOT.
    And $50 a week is over $2500.00 a year, which makes a dent in some of our budgets, perhaps not yours.
    But if I had the choices I have, plus your car, MY difference would be nearer $75/week, or closer to $4000.00/year. I would cream for a $4000.00/year raise.
    Lastly, that '46 is a genuine death trap when put up against anything built today, even a Smart car.
    But, hey, we all do what we do for the reasons we do it. Some of us fear life, some of us embrace life. And when I laugh at you after your $125.00 fill up, when mine costs $30, you'll understand that IF I am ever in an accident, I MIGHT be hurt more than you, maybe.

I'll take that.

Cosmo

25. metalshapes

metalshapes

This will be the last Thread relating to Milage for a while.

We have had way to many lately...

So make this one count, and try not to fill it with Latemodel Garbage...

26. That's like laughing at a guy that takes a gun bear hunting when obviously a knife is cheaper. I drive in Atlanta traffic every day. I do fear what may happen every day. You would too if you drove here. I think I would be safe to say a semi is flipped weekly here.
    I am just as prepared and I feel safer in a bigger car. I also wouldn't think of letting my wife and kid get in anything smaller than a full size truck. Fuck what it cost.

Yes the 46 is a death trap - that's why I don't hit anything when I drive that one. ha ha

I guess for the $95 difference in the cost of a fill up I'll take the heavy vehicle.

A month in the hospital could easily cost 1 Million. Do you skimp on insurance too?

27. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Is this late-model???:D I wonder what the mileage is on these old Toyotas???

Attached Files:

28. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

First you should look at the price of the 2000gt.

29. good!

can we start threads about Mileage then instead?:D

30. metalshapes

metalshapes

Quit fucking around or go away...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.