Register now to get rid of these ads!

Inner bearings for Ford spindles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RAMBLINMAN, May 28, 2008.

1. I have a set of '41 Ford spindles and the hub is Ford '46-48 mounted to Buick drums. I'm looking to find the inner(larger) bearing for this set-up. Any help would be appreciated!

2. Andy

Andy

Use the bearings from the spindles or the hubs. You just need the stock bearings. The F-100 swap uses odd bearings.

3. from dmarv

4. The stock bearing that I have will not work. They're too small of an outer diameter. The outer bearings will work however, just not the inners closest to the backing plate.

5. Cheers. That's a help.

6. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

The bearings for the 41 spindle and hub are the same as the bearing for the 42-8 spindle and hub. So if your inner bearing bearing doesn't fit the hub you either don't have the correct bearing or you misidentified the parts. If you clean the grease of the bearing there should be a number on that that can be cross referenced for application. Post number 3 will help quite a bit for ID.

7. Andy

Andy

I think you have F-1/100 hubs. Are the drums mounted on the outside or inside of the hubs? A 46-48 hub will have a turned lip on the inside to fit the drum. The truck hubs will have the lip on the outside.

8. The spindles came off the front suspension of a '41 Merc coupe that I cut off. The hubs came from a 46-48 car. I had the hubs sent to me from a friend in Alberta who wrecks vintage Ford tin and told him my application. From my research, the inner bearings from my spindles, part #B-1201 and labelled Ford X-TIMKEN, should have fit. So this is why I'm here now. I don't have my calipers to measure the I.D. of the hub, but it is much larger. The hub originally fit to the outside of the stock drum as I have the Buick finned drum fitted now and the mating surface was flush with no grooves.

Tommorrow I'm going to make some calls and talk to a local machine shop to see if they can find something to fit.

9. twofosho

twofosho

Make a go-no-go gauge by trimming a piece of wire (welding rod?) until it just clears inside the hub. Every good bearing supply house I've been to has basic measuring tools laying on their counter, would measure your template, and can probably find something in their catalogs with that outer diameter and the inside diameter of your existing bearing to get you going.

10. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

If your parts that your buddy sent you came off a car all the bearing should interchange, however if the hubs were loose and setting in a pile of parts they may may have been a from a 40-47 3/4 ton pickup which uses a large inner bearing. This bearing has an internal diameter larger than the passenger car spindle so that it floppy on the passenger car spindle snout, the passenger car slides snug on the spindle snout boss. You can check with a tape measure for an approximate size internal diameter of this bearing is about 1 5/16" where a stock bearing is about an 1 3/16"