Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy w/ newer bed? Opinions please...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot_rod_17, May 27, 2008.

1. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

We are currently building two 51 Chevy trucks. My Grandpa has a 6400 on an 85 Chevy 4x4 chassis and he wants to put an 88-98 stepside bed on it. I think he's nuts, but he swears it would look cool. I've seen it done on the 67-72's before and I like it. I'm just not so sure it would work out on the 51. Has anyone ever seen it done before and what did you think of it? Any pics by chance?

2. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Ive seen it done on '47-'54, '55-'59,'60-'66, & '67-'72 and they all look like CRAP !

Run the correct bed for the cab.. Or a flatbed if its a work horse .

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

I've seen it done and it's about right proportionally but still all wrong looking. Actually looks closer to right than the 67-72s with the same swap, but again still all wrong.

4. Tony

Tony

What he said.

5. HotRodPaint.com

HotRodPaint.com

I like it, but I bored long ago with things that had been done the same way since I got interested, 50 years ago.

Beside that, it's the choice of whoever owns the truck, and anyone who says he's wrong is confusing his own ego with any actual fact. There is no right or wrong....only personal preferrence.

6. dB Zac

dB Zac

I am sorry but I hate when people put the newer beds on older trucks. The wheel openings aren't even close and the general style clashes bad

7. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Beside that, it's the choice of whoever owns the truck, and anyone who says he's wrong is confusing his own ego with any actual fact. There is no right or wrong....only personal preferrence.[/quote]

This a true statement !

But i am not confusing my Ego with the fact that it is an Unproportioned Mis-Match of body style & body lines to mix.

8. hot_rod_17

hot_rod_17

THANK YOU!!! I think it would look silly, especially being a 4x4 with the over sized front clip. It's gonna be a daily for him so I suggested a flatbed or just wait and find the right one!!

9. dB Zac

dB Zac

but didn't he begin this thread by asking are opinion? I still can voice my opinion, this is the USA still right?

10. JRODHOTROD

JRODHOTROD
    from Manor, TX

I always like flatbeds, just my 2 cents

11. mackster

mackster

De Soto points are right. The body style and lines will not look right. and BTW this is my opinion.:D