Register now to get rid of these ads!

Energy bill to get rid of cars 15 years and older

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 4tford, May 27, 2008.

1. VonMoldy

VonMoldy
    from UTARRGH!

so what about a 15 year old peterbilt or something?

2. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Ive got one of those..and its still on the road making deliveries each day

3. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Okay I gotta chime in here on something. There is a lot of generalization that gets tossed around about it being environmentalism versus hot rods. With a hell of a big assumption that all those into hot rods aren't into environmetal issues as well. As well there is an assumption that environmental groups hold a lot of power. Misconception, environmetal groups are privy to power when they are largely backed by a larger more powerful corporation. You look at the majority of environmental laws passed and the lobbyists were owned by a big backer. (By the way, i think lobbyists are counter-productive to a free society). Let me ask you something, would you be pleased to find propylene glycol in your well water because the junkyard down stream willy-nilly placed cars. I don't think so. So guess what, I think a good many environmental issues have merit. Not to say all do, and not to say they are taken too far. But the problem is making generalizations, especially when you're making enemies of those that could possibly be your allies. I hazard around with people that are involved in environmental organzations. And as far as I know, those org's have nothing against old cars, in fact good many are into them. And I don't think there would be thought of confining the hobby (if even there could be a possibly be a way), but more a concern of the everyday driver. THE real problem is the middle man, the man making the laws, the man making the money, AND the man making the most power from these issues. Sure environmetalists can be flaky and little off kilter, but they're not the danger. Old politicos are the problem, old money (and new) is the problem. To quelch the problem, you must see the problem.

By the way this does not apply to Green Peace or any of the such, as they are just a buncha money grubby fucks, who use issues to garner money a la Al Sharpton. And I believe we are a way over legislated society - just to clear the air on a few things, as I imagine people will jump to conclusions.

On this issue - old cars will never be outlawed. You'll just have to have enough money. And no Dodo bird will have anything to do with it, only a leather lined Gucci wallet.

4. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

it'll never fly.............

5. chebby

chebby

didnt this try flying once here in cali? i know its different and they are doing it with old trucks this year 1989 and older wont be able to get registered past oct. 1st. just like i love old cars i love old 18 wheelers. fucking tree huggers are messing stuff up.

6. Mopar34

Mopar34

Jleavesl wrote:

That's damn generous of them to offer 1/10th the value of my cars as a trade in on a new plastic thingy. :eek: I'll store them first.:D

There was a rumor a little while back (within last month) that there were bills in the Pennsylvania legislature to remove all pre-1972 vehicles off of state hiways.:( If they were to do that the PA economy would take a bad hit considering the number of streetrods, hotrods and customs register there, not to mention the builders. Plus all of the events for the old cars, and the number of parts manufacturers with shops in PA. Hell, the NSRA Nats East in York every year puts over $3 million into the local economy in just 4 days. Never could find anything to verify the subject of the rumor. Just so much hot air and smoke, I guess.:rolleyes:

7. rixrex

rixrex

So, in Texas, the first thing I would expect to see disappear is the classic/antique/Y.O.M. plate program?, we pay a reasonable fee for five years at a time, all we need is insurance, no tags,stickers,inspections,emissions..yes, if they want to get picky they can ask you about certain clauses about going to club meetings,parades,car shows etc.. I,ve always been able to come up with something, besides really they just want to talk to you about your car..how many other states have this classic/antique plate program?....

8. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

I don't think you realize that they know, and just don't give a shit, because their passion is $$$

9. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

michigan has it too..although it is for the life of the registrant (owner) you never have to re-register all you have to do is keep it insured. And no stupid stick on tag.
    Y.O.M. plates do have resrictions, but in the state of michigan there are car shows every day all over the place..and there is a loop hole.. it says something along the lines of "tours"..all you gotta say is you are touring with the occupants in your classic car..besides the cops have not given me any hassel about driving mine..but i dont use it as a daily.

10. Mopar34

Mopar34

PA, has streetrod tags at a cost of $25 over the price of the regular state tag and it is nothing more than a vanity plate for pre-49 cars. Antique plates are available for cars over 25 years old and in near original condition at a cost of $75. This fee is a one time fee good forever, no annual stickers or inspections. There is also a Collector car tag and a Classic car tag. All money makers. All tags, other than the Antique tags, require annual mechanical inspection plus a windshield sticker fee. The inspection and tag fee range from about $50 to $70 per year as there is no set price for an inspection.

If you have a hotrod, streetrod/custom you can also run regular plates, but then all of the regular plate fees exist plus insurance can be substantially higher if you have everyday tags.

Money making programs all.

11. Spitfire1776

Spitfire1776
    from York, PA

Which is why they call them Green Laws.

12. Road Runner

Road Runner

Yeah right ... mechanics, parts industry, etc. etc. will all just disappear ? :rolleyes:
    Just as gasoline and oil - old cars will always be...

What WILL happen is increasing registration (and other creative) fees for older cars.
    Some states and counties will be higher than others.

13. Parts48

Parts48
    from Tucson, Az
    1. Hot Rod Veterans

So...I guess Jay Leno going to be crushin' some Dusie..or a Delahaye..maybe just scrap that Hispano Suiza....

Yeah..this will happen. Poorer folks drive older (daily cars..92 Altima..87 Buicks)..so this elitst bill strikes at the very rich (Leno type collectors with mega million cars..and the lower middle to poor folks with daily junk drivers). I think hot rodders are not the focus..but are insulated by the other groups..rich and poor..and SEMA type lobbys.

Getting old VWs off the road..so more 08 F250s are bought won't be a easy sell...

14. Hellfish

Hellfish

You guys can't simply write this kind of bullshit legislation off just because "it doesn't make sense" and you think "it can't happen". Laws that make less sense and encroach on the rights of more people have been passed, so don't take this so lightly.

No one has actually produced the letter or the proposed law, so it may all be hooey... but it's easier to sit at your desk and say it can't happen than it is to write you legislator. Actions speak louder than words.

15. 23 bucket-t

23 bucket-t

copy that email and post it so we all came you at it

16. 4tford

4tford

The proposed bill is H.R. 6161 in the house of representatives. It is a tax credit to get rid of 15 year old cars or older. I let my rep know I would not like any restrictions put on our hobby cars. this thread is to make you aware of something out there that could get changed to include more restrictions on older cars. It is better we let our reps know this hobby is hugh and not to mess with it before they include our cars in there scheme of things.

17. Amen to that!

18. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

I bought one new car in my life and that was a 1978 Honda Accord. At the time, there was a gassoline shortage scare so there was talk of rationing and at least in our area gas stations were closed on Sundays. I don't remember the EPA mileage estimates for that car but it got over 40 MPG on the highway on a regular basis. Since the current gasoline price escalation started has anybody looked around for a fuel efficient car? Does anybody wonder, like I do, why the auto makers can only offer cars that get mileage in the mid 30's? We could buy more fuel efficient cars thirty years ago.

19. I hate this fuckin' shithole state & all the money grubbin' bastards that run it...:mad::mad::mad:

20. beetlejuice55

beetlejuice55

they can kiss my ass on that one !!!!!

21. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

yep dont say it cant be done..as you go out to your modern car and "By law" have to put on your seat belt..or go to the bar and "not light up". i got a huge list of things people thought the govenment couldn't or wouldn't do to us...HA!
    I smell them commies commin'
    there still working on removing our 2nd ammendment..and they will keep on pushing at each and every freedoms we have left until we are socialized and under their complete contol. If we keep having the mind set that.."they cant do that" we will not have to worry about nothing..because they will be telling you what you will be doing with your time here.

22. The simple answer is weight added due to newer features added, especially safety features and electronics.

23. Let's make sure we lure the alleged Congressman out to Billetproof in a couple of weeks and take some 'compromising photos' of him with a bunch of 'evil' cars more than 15 years old. I'm sure we can show him a fine time filled with some high octane debauchery!!

24. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Make no mistake, rules will get tightened over time, one way or another, but generally common sense prevails - generally, but not always. Common sense says that there aren't really enough old cars running around to do much damage, just not enough volume. Newer cars are the volume and therefore the most problem. And tree-huggers generally are into to old cars as well, so don't blame them. That is mostly because they can't afford a newer car and they feel saving an old car is better than buying a new one and also now because they are into the super polluting yet popular bio-fuels home brew diesels that put out about as much pollution as those 15 year old Peterbilts, but the fuel is sort of free or at least cheap.

25. custom50

custom50
    from Indiana

Most of our plants, and factory’s have been moved or shut down so we can have clean air right!! Just keep messing with the below average class, I think the middle class has disappeared. Now we let China provide for our needs just about anything you buy today has China on the bottom of it. It should read {China Shit} Let us at least keep our old cars, they were built by Americans.

26. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'd argue that energy consumption / mileage has not improved greatly over the last 15-20 years. Not enough to justify the energy to required to dismantle and recycle.

27. safari-wagon

safari-wagon

Is this POS bill in Lansing or DC? Which dipstick sponsored it? :mad:

A couple of years ago Joe Young (from Detroit) sponsored a supposed anti-blight bill that would have let the cops pull any unregistered vehicle off your property & then bill you back for the effort. A few folks to send emails & letters complaining about it & eventually it got reworded. They will listen to us rodders if we ALL let them know how we feel. They are scared for their jobs in an election year.

Larry

28. Goob333

Goob333

The hell with that, Ive got a 89 honda crx hf that I drive to work that gets 65mpg and its almost 20 years old. If you want a car to just to drive to work and back the late 80's early 90's hondas get the best mileage. Bunch of stupid politicians what hes trying to do is boost our shitty BUSH economy by making us spend money.

29. 32hibo

32hibo
    from okla.

Problem with this country is we have a lot of MORONs trying to run it.....I am 59....when I grew up cars in the 50's and 60's would get 15-16 MPG...now all these years later my freakin 1999 Durango will get 14 MPG on a GOOD day...what the hell is wrong with this picture???? AND the smart leaders want to scrap OLD cars!!!! GIVE me a freaked break!!!!:confused:

30. 32hibo

32hibo
    from okla.

AND while we are on energy cost...when was the last time you seen a truck driver slow down to cut fuel cost...hell its get out of the way or be ran over....as for the fuel they just stick the increased cost on us and keep driving like hell......:eek: