Register now to get rid of these ads!

SANTA MARIA / my 2 cents

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gambino_Kustoms, May 26, 2008.

1. Gambino_Kustoms

Gambino_Kustoms
    Alliance Vendor

HAD A GREAT TIME AND WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!
    santa maria will be what WE make it ,so lets make it into a great show .

i see whole lot of folks cryin on here and complaining , probley the same complainers that complained about paso as well , how about helping to make this a great show instead of complaqining about it and sitting back and do nothing .the secusess of this show needs our sapport santa maria will be what we all make it and like it or not this year ruled for being a first!

are there things that need improving yes ,and they will be improved apon.dose anyone even know what it takes to put on a event like this ,theres more to than you know ,they were definatly over welmed and the turn out was greater than expected! , the bottom line is it was a hudge sucssess and it will be made better!

i here folks complaining about having to pay to get in , you got a free ride for 20 + years , now that you have to pay to get in you say you wont be back next year , GOOD cause i always had to pay for you to see my car for free i brought 3 cars and payed for all of them to get in just like every year!

any one complaning about there wasnt nothing to do didnt try to do any thing THERES plenty to do ,and plenty of good places to eat..friday night at the santa maria inn was the place to be it ruled and it was packed and the partyin was havey !the shifters threw a kick ass party at the bowlin alley sat night witch kicked ass thanxs axel, then there was the dice party as well !any one that TRYED to have a kickass time did!i heard the best western was a nother hot spot .this is only gona get better and its gona take time .im sure next year will be more organize and there will be even more to do.

then i here people tryin to compare this show to a good guys event ONLY because it has a fence around it . thats fucking rediculass !DIFFERANT PEOPLE DIFFERANT CARS thats an insult ,face it the parks gone and the fair grounds is what you make it , if you dont like the food lines bring a damb ice chest or a small BBQ , the calavaras were ruling it big time i dont think they were complaning they came prepared , i was like shit why werent we bbqing?and for all those partisapints that finialy had to pony up GOOD its about time you help saport this thing of ours!

then there was complaints about the cars ,personaly you dont know shit .awhole lot of people HAVE steped up there game and are leaning towards finished cars and thats kick ass for the scene it makes for an even better reason to come to this show. i seen MORE bad ass cars than i seen shit !heres to every one who busts there ass on there rides soley for a show like this .i know i want to see what everyones buiding , what finialy got finished , thats realy what this shows all about ,theres always certain cars from diferant builders your wanting to see.and that my friends will never change dont matter if its a park or fair grounds it is what it is.oh ya paso wasnt always in the park!

i love this show because it lets me see people and friends i havnt seen for awhile . i mean come on people and car clubs come from all over the world to congregate here ,there a big part of what brings me back year after year were one big family right!then theres the fresh cars and builders and painters,people build cars exclusivly for this show and i want to see them.

penny and the wcc crew deserve our saport for giving us a cool place to go year after year they bust there asses every year to put on this event and they want nothing more than to make this show even better than paso was .if it wasnt for this show all the othere shows probobly wouldnt egzist ,wcc events have been the core of the scene and the catalist for othere great shows.bottom line is were all in this thing together,so stop complaining and help make this better , no lets make this great.

so lets stand together and help make santa maria great i know i am!
    and so will gambino kustoms and the road zombies!

2. bobbleed

bobbleed
    from Awesome

I heart Alex Gambino. Wish I could have been there.

3. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I couldn't agree more.

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yep.

Paso Robles never made it "Paso" for me. My friends and the cars made it "Paso". In fact we call Santa Maria, Paso most of the time when we talk about it.

People have mentioned Santa Maria not being wife or girlfriend friendly. If your chick doesn't like car shows get a new one or don't make her do something she doesn't like doing. Mine digs hanging out looking at cars just fine. She doesn't need distractions to get her mind off of the fact that it's a car weekend.

You didn't like Santa Maria because you couldn't go antique shopping or walk from the show to a restaurant? Those aren't the things I went to Paso Robles for - I went for friends and cars. There were plenty of both in SM.

I also don't care if a show is at a fairgrounds or in a high school parking lot. I want to be where the cars and my friends are. So what if there's a fence around the venue.

Going to a small town and hanging out with friends would be rad also, but I really like looking at cars...good and bad. Plus, an unsuspecting small town definitely won't have the tolerance for loud hot rods and goofing around like one that is welcoming something like WCK's show with open arms.

Like has been said, the more of you who don't go, the better it will be for the ones who do.

PS. Get over the whole hotels raising prices and asking for 3-night minimums. EVERY hotel in the world does that when any big event comes to town or even just on a holiday weekend that they expect to be filled up. Do you think the hotels in Vegas are the same price everyday? Try going during a convention like SEMA or MAGIC, the prices are through the roof. It's called capitalism.

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

There just seems to be so much cynicism around certain areas of the country... I just don't get it. It makes me love my pals... because they love every single opportunity they can get to be around cars - whether it's a huge ass car show on the west coast or just a few of us puttin' around the hill country.

You guys rule. Seriously.

6. LabRat

LabRat

Nail on the head ......For anywhere . Life , including car shows is what YOU make it .

7. Once again,Alex drops the knowledge on ya..20+ years of shows and memories for $12 is a good way to look at it.I'll be back next year and every year after that.I have faith in Penny and the gang.Everything that lacked at this show will be fixed for the next one 100 times over...

8. I think some of the guys in California are spoiled by the number of car shows you can choose to go to. Me and my wife went last year to Paso, made it part of our holidays and went this year to Santa Maria again part of our holidays. We both had a great time this year. Met Alex and his wife and I completely agree with what he said. Where I'm form we are lucky if we get two or three good shows withing 3 or 4 hours drive a year. And even at that there are maybe 100-150 cars. Be thankful that you get the chance to see 1000 cars in one place most of which were exactly what this board is about. If your friends are close enough to join you in the fun even better. Enjoy it for what it is a celebration of good cars and good people.

9. What I find funny is people bitching about people bitching...

Sam.

10. fordologist

fordologist

i like the fact that it was BIGGER than paso, but the one main ingredient was the cruise or lack there of ; that is what made paso and that was the complaint i have heard from the majority of people i talk to, if they can do something about that for next year it will only get better and worth making the trip. but without the cruise it's just a good gathering!that! seperates it from a greedy guys event. im i right?

11. Jeff J

Jeff J

I think it was a great show and the people at the Santa Maria inn were great and I didn't even stay there ! Finally West Coast Kustoms may get out of the red and be able to make it a greter show! Penny & Rich have busted there butt for years not making any thing off of the shows and putting up with a lot of crap from Paso city fathers and I say good they lost a good thing for there town! Hats off to Santa Maria people & businesses for putting up with us for the weekend cause you sure made us feel welcome in our group !

12. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

I must say again that me, my wife and friends had a wonderful time and will be back next season......Alex that is a great commentary.

13. my only complaint is i didnt get to go.. looks like a blast !!

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Lots of Goodguys events have cruises. Have you ever been to one?

15. fordologist

fordologist

been to a few but none compared

16. -Brent-

-Brent-

I don't know you, Alex, nor have I been to Paso or Santa Maria but I like what you have to say. Based on you being real and honest (I respect that whole-heartedly) and I'd certainly give you my business.

17. SLAMIT

SLAMIT

Word......We had a blast. Will be back next year 20 bucks for 2 days aint bad. I take a shit and it can cost more than that sometimes. Geesh.

By the way alex i got some pics of yer stuff on my pic thread.

Check it

18. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Alex you are quite the cheerleader, and I mean that in a good way. I was on the fence on wether to go and your last go to santa maria post made me see the light and I went.

I think maybe a lot of us are still in mourning about the passing of a Paso. maybe it's like when your dog dies.. you get a new one but think it will never be the same, then next thing you know your new dog is just as good as the old one.

I've been going through my pictures and posted a few with more to come. the more I look at them the more I realized this was indeed a very cool show. I can't see comparing it with Goodguys.. that's just goofy. look at the photo's many of us have posted... couple of 55 chevys with mags doesn't make it a goodguys show ... not that there is anything wrong with goodguys, I've only missed one Pleasanton Western Nationals show in 25? 27 ? years??? however long it has been going on.

one thing about this new place is it will give the show some room to grow. I think Paso was maxxed out. last year I bet there was another 300 HOT RODS outside the park. it was crazy.

you are right.. it's only going to get bigger and better.

19. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Word up Alex!!!

A few people mentioned that the town had no soul. WTF??

What about the wacky guy that offered to pump my gas at the gast station because he loved seeing all the cars up close? What about the homeless dude that asked if he could touch my car and then rubbed it like it was his first girlfriend? What about the local lowriders that started hopping their cars old school-style when we met at the light? What about the oldtimer that saw my Lincoln and then went on to tell me how he used to have one just like it that he used in demolition derbys back in the day? What about the wacky dude with the casio keyboard rocking the kareoke at the hotel bar on Friday night? What about the 7 slammed VW buses that were cruising the strip on Saturday night like they owned the town? If you think SM is soul-less... its because you didn't bring it with you.

Great time... and I'll be back.

20. Bryan

Bryan

I think Alex nailed it.

I'm not the first to say this, but Paso was Paso, and Paso is no more. Everything must come to an end. Expecting a carbon copy of Paso is unrealistic. It's a different place. It has it's own character.

This show will flourish. The few kinks will get worked out, and the whole thing will grow.

Kirk said it a few times.....it's about friends and the cars. And it's about what you make of it.

Personally, I was excited to see what was going to happen, excited to be a part of the first "Paso Maria". And I'm excited about the future events.

21. KIRK!

KIRK!

You car looked good!

22. Muttley

Muttley

Just as long as he stays away from the outfit that goes along with being one.

23. [​IMG]

24. bmc

bmc
    from Sacto.,Ca.

I like old cars & I like being around old cars & I don't care where its at!!!!

25. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

thanks for this post.

you know, i missed Santa Maria this year because i was called out of town for work. that, is what sucks-- looking to go somewhere to hang out with your friends, but finding out you can't at the last minute..... so quit bitching.

the drive, the cars, hanging out with friends before, during and after show. It's an adventure, and only you can make it a lousy one-- can't blame a fenced fairgrounds.

i'll be going next year (i hope.)

-scott noteboom

26. xadamx

xadamx

Alex looks super-tough and has sweet black and grey tats! Sorry I didn't get to see you this weekend...

27. strike a poser

strike a poser
    from Salinas,CA

I'm proud of Kirk. Admitting the fact that you are a trophy seeking trailer queen whore on this board takes a big man to admit!

28. battersea boys

battersea boys
    from surrey

So Saint M #1 is done....cool

29. KIRK!

KIRK!

That's me to a T. I'm ordering my gold chain today!